aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Most of the time it will help, so you should have it on. But there can be certain situations where it actually hinders you a bit, for example when you're struggling to get out of a drift, or going slowly uphill. Basically in these situations it can be helpful to get a bit of wheelspin going to get down to a bit of a grip on the road. Or you can use the 'rocking' technique to get out of a drift. Traction control stops this working because it senses straight away that the wheel is spinning so cuts the power and takes control of it away from you.

In short, leave it on, until you find you're having real problems moving or you get stuck. Then you can try turning it off and managing the situation yourself.

Also turn it off if you wish to pull some mean donuts in a car park somewhere.

How come if I have breakfast before I leave the house at 8.30, come noon I'm so fucking ravenous I could eat my own arm. But if I skip breakfast I'm not hungry at all by lunchtime and can happily work unfed until 2.00? Surely it should be the other way round?

Probably some bollocks about starting off your metabolism by eating.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Street lights. Anyone ever thought about them before? How the fuck do they work? It doesn't get light or dark at the same time all year round, it's the exact opposite, it's always changing, even then it doesn't work to a formula either, it's always different so how are they always on when we need them and off when we don't? Maybe I've just never noticed but I've never found myself thinking that its dark and why the hell aren't the street lights on or that it was a little early to have the street lights on. Same in the morning, they just go off at a reasonable time. How the fuck do they work?

I'd be amazed if it''s not a photoresistor (changes resistance in proportion to light intensity, so when resistance drops current can flow through and power the lights) probably on top of the lamp post. A lot more convenient than having them on timers etc.

• Upvote 1

I'd be amazed if it''s not a photoresistor (changes resistance in proportion to light intensity, so when resistance drops current can flow through and power the lights) probably on top of the lamp post. A lot more convenient than having them on timers etc.

But then you'd have to keep them clean.

I believe they are mostly on timers. The change in lighting-up time is predictable, switch them on a little early, off a little late just in case, job done.

Street lights. Anyone ever thought about them before? How the fuck do they work? It doesn't get light or dark at the same time all year round, it's the exact opposite, it's always changing, even then it doesn't work to a formula either, it's always different so how are they always on when we need them and off when we don't? Maybe I've just never noticed but I've never found myself thinking that its dark and why the hell aren't the street lights on or that it was a little early to have the street lights on. Same in the morning, they just go off at a reasonable time. How the fuck do they work?

Far more likely that the council's pay someone as the full time "lighting control officer", his job is to switch the lights on when it gets dark, off when it is light. He does nothing but this. Off course he gets double time for working saturday and sunday, plus in the summer time he has to stay back on overtime (time and a half) to wait for darkness and get in early too. Winter time's not so good as he doesn't get any overtime as all the switching is done between his normal 9 to 5 hours. X)

Council's do employ people who's sole job is to go around and check that streeet lights do work, they are not to repair them, just check which ones don't work and report to maintenance. :rockon:

anyone noticed many street lamps have a big grey box padlocked to them with a label saying "this is not a speed camera" its made of dense plastic and there is a camera on the lamp post with wires coming out the box,

many can be seen on lang stracht, summer and around hazelhead/top of kings gate areas

onyone ken fit they are aboot?

im assuming they are traffic counting cameras or something to measure congestion?

anyone noticed many street lamps have a big grey box padlocked to them with a label saying "this is not a speed camera" its made of dense plastic and there is a camera on the lamp post with wires coming out the box,

many can be seen on lang stracht, summer and around hazelhead/top of kings gate areas

onyone ken fit they are aboot?

im assuming they are traffic counting cameras or something to measure congestion?

If it's round about Summerhill Academy area, probably to do with selling the place off and Morrisons wanting to buy it, seeing how busy the surrounding area is with regards to the extra traffic that would be generated.

You think that street light thing is awesome, wait until I tell you about the spinny bit on pedestrian crossings for deaf and blind people. It will change your life. You'll never cross the road the same again.

it changed my life the first time you told us on here, now it just hot air

16-11-2009, 15:56

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/53163-pet-hates-post791090.html?highlight=pedestrian#post791090

Did you know that on the new-style pedestrian crossings there's a secret knob on the bottom that spins when the green man is on? Seriously. On the new ones where the green man is on the panel next to you instead of across the road, next time you're near one, press the button then put your hand underneath the box and you'll find a little knob which starts spinning when the green man is on. Presumably its for folk that are both blind and deaf. It's a secret though so don't tell anybody.

and what's that thing they say about potheads oh yeah I forgot lol