aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Found this thread. It was a belter at times.

I'm currently wondering about bitcoin. I haven't bought any yet but I'm thinking about it. I don't think we'll see another huge price fluctuation and the profit margins are going to be much smaller from now on but it's still a largely misunderstood/unknown currency so I think now is the time to get involved. I'm surprised by how many people still think it's a fake videogame nerd related thing.

Found this thread. It was a belter at times.

I'm currently wondering about bitcoin. I haven't bought any yet but I'm thinking about it. I don't think we'll see another huge price fluctuation and the profit margins are going to be much smaller from now on but it's still a largely misunderstood/unknown currency so I think now is the time to get involved. I'm surprised by how many people still think it's a fake videogame nerd related thing.

Been kinda wondering about this too except you're probably better to look at something like Doge instead as it's in its infancy and can still apparently be mined easily. I don't really know that much about it but I got a link to a step by step guide which I'll give a blast. Don't have the link to hand but it's on reddit - a quick search for Doge would probably find it for you.

Been kinda wondering about this too except you're probably better to look at something like Doge instead as it's in its infancy and can still apparently be mined easily. I don't really know that much about it but I got a link to a step by step guide which I'll give a blast. Don't have the link to hand but it's on reddit - a quick search for Doge would probably find it for you.

Such replacing of Bitcoin

So moneyz

• Upvote 1

It all seems way too complex for me to fully understand. The mining part has become basically who has the biggest and best computing resources to perform calculations the quickest. All i'd like to do is get a hold of some of this alt-currency and see how much the value fluctuates, maybe just out of interest or if there's a particularly huge spike sell some. Thus far I don't fully see the need to switch to bitcoin - I know there's the whole peer-to-peer aspect that basically cuts out anyone else profiting on any any transaction I make (which is the part more people need to learn - that's huge. You are your own bank), but at the moment I haven't been convinced by the benefits of using it as day-to-day currency.

This is a good read: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20207.0

It's from a while ago now and i'm sure the market has since become a bit more regulated/stable.

It all seems way too complex for me to fully understand. The mining part has become basically who has the biggest and best computing resources to perform calculations the quickest. All i'd like to do is get a hold of some of this alt-currency and see how much the value fluctuates, maybe just out of interest or if there's a particularly huge spike sell some. Thus far I don't fully see the need to switch to bitcoin - I know there's the whole peer-to-peer aspect that basically cuts out anyone else profiting on any any transaction I make (which is the part more people need to learn - that's huge. You are your own bank), but at the moment I haven't been convinced by the benefits of using it as day-to-day currency.

It's from a while ago now and i'm sure the market has since become a bit more regulated/stable.

Indeed.  The Doge step by step guide I was sent is all about using virtual servers and doesn't need a huge amount of computing power.  Not in the early stages anyway.

That's about the extent of my understanding.

It all seems a bit too late as well.  I heard about Bitcoin before it went absolutely crazy (it had shot up already) and thought "I should buy some of that" but then forgot about it.  A few months later I was hearing stories of the guy who had chucked millions of pounds worth away in the skip when he'd ditched his old hard drive.  I was kicking myself slightly as I could have made a bit of money had I just went out there and taken the risk, but that guy must wake up every morning and punch himself in the face, very hard.

I constantly wonder about what things football could port over from American sports.

Not to turn this into a football thread, more a cultural one.

How about the superbowl half time show? The FA cup final half time show! That would be amazing. What a way to bring interest from all demographics to the fa cup. I have very little interest in it nowadays. Ever since the man utd world club championship debacle really. They keep wheeling out the 'oldest competition' and 'magic of the...' shite. This would be something new.

The Economist did a feature on Bitcoin recently: http://www.economist.com/printedition/2013-11-30 [Digital money: The bitcoin bubble]. Basically what Gladstone said, too late.

I constantly wonder about what things football could port over from American sports.

Not to turn this into a football thread, more a cultural one.

How about the superbowl half time show? The FA cup final half time show! That would be amazing. What a way to bring interest from all demographics to the fa cup. I have very little interest in it nowadays. Ever since the man utd world club championship debacle really. They keep wheeling out the 'oldest competition' and 'magic of the...' shite. This would be something new.

In my opinion gimmicks like that would look desperate and (most likely) shit and put me off. The FA cup is great and there is very little wrong with it. 

I groan every time its FA cup weekend. Sure there's the odd cupset to keep things interesting but it's mainly a competition managers aim to win to keep their jobs nowadays. You win the fa cup, it effectively boosts your league position a couple of spots, turning a mid table manager into a top four, and a 2nd place manager into a lesser champion. There's plenty wrong with it in my opinion. It used to carry prestige.

I'm not saying turn the tournament into a commercial. I'm saying bring back that excitement a bit. What happened to team songs?! 'Cmon you reds, cmon you reds... just keep your bottle and use your head'. Do they even have a full day broadcast anymore? I used to get up first thing to watch the reviews of the two cup runs and the cut aways to excited fans. Now its what? Aidrian chiles segueing between budweiser ads? I see what its become as a gimmick. A half assed one at that.

The story of Wigan winning the FA Cup last season was great.

'Americanising' it would be shit in my view.

I do agree that I have less interest than I did and the romance and excitement seem to have gone. That's probably down to there being so much football on TV as much as anything else. The Premier League is blown into this enormous spectacle of itself that that's all that fans are interested in and the FA cup is a sideshow. Fuck, even the Champions League seems to be a bit of a sideshow these days.

I also think part of the dropping interest could be to do with not being excited schoolkids anymore. Maybe.

Edited by Gladstone

A salary cap is pretty much impossible in football, if you also want to have top players in your league and be competitive in European competitions.

Whichever channel had coverage of the fa cup last year had about 9 hours of build up on the day it was total overkill actually.

I'd be lying if i said the tournament had the same prestige for me as it did as a kid but not being a kid has a lot to do with that. For years FA Cup matches were the only ones I could watch live on TV and reaching the final felt very significant. However now that I can watch numerous live matches every weekend that sort of excitement is gone. But the tournament itself still excites me, it's something there to be won and competition is what football is about. Sure sometimes I might look at FA Cup fixtures and groan because there are no match ups which excite me but that is luck of the draw. On the other hand City - Chelsea and Arsenal - Liverpool are much more exciting to me than those fixtures in the league because they are knock out games and despite a few years when it maybe wasn't true I think all the big teams really want to win the cup. Fans certainly want their team to win it. I don't know any to ask but if I were a Wigan fan I'd have taken winning the cup and getting relegated last season. Few football fans will get to feel as good as they did when Watson scored that late goal.

The issues which do diminish the competition are with scheduling. The Final must be played at 3pm. Rounds shouldn't be squeezed in between congested periods of league fixtures. The league could help with this and improve itself at the same time by reducing to 18 teams.

It will if UEFA/FIFA or whoever don't stamp their authority on it like they say they are going to, which will most likely be the case. It's only small clubs who have been penalised so far, which is crazy.

It should also stop megarich billionaires from buying clubs and using them as some sort of plaything, as they won't be able to inject money so easily. It would be a much much more gradual process of increasing revenues, rather than just dishing out millions for players. But again, if they sponsor themselves, then it's probably simple to balance the finances.

Yes it could stop mega rich billionaires from buying clubs which is absolutely perfect for the mega rich billionaires who already own clubs. The teams at the top are able to comply with the rules using stadium deals like you mentioned as well as other things. What won't be able to happen is for someone to invest and take a team from mid-table to the top. 

Well if the FFP do what they are supposed to, it should also ensure that the current billionaire owners don't just fund their own clubs, and are funded by legitimate revenues. The FFP did state that sponsorships were going to be investigated, but it sounds like a monumental task, in theory.

It probably won't get involved, but the FFP should also be evening out the playing field in terms of TV money, which is heavily lopsided in alot of leagues, especially La Liga, where Barca and Real Madrid appear to have their own deals independent from other clubs, so the rich get richer.

Maybe a simple salary cap is the right answer. Footballers earn far too much anyway, even before you bring in the megastars like Ronaldo and Messi

My point is that after the big initial spend City and Chelsea can make enough through legitimate sources to comply with FPL. The billionaires don't need to fund them anymore. They might be slightly restricted but they are still going to be in the top 4. Financial fair play isn't go to do anything to help Everton or Newcastle when the top clubs make so much in shirt sales and world tours etc that it doesn't matter if their owners invest or not. 

If there's a salary cap players will go to a league where there is no cap. If Fifa introduces a world wide cap a League will split from Fifa and pay bigger salaries. It wouldn't even be the first time it has happened.

Edited by Paranoid Android