aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

A thread for pointless waffling about stuff that just doesn't make any bastard sense. Maybe some smartarse on here can even clear some of it up for us.

This is mine, right.

Those bikes. Trials bikes. The pushlike variety, not the motorised one. The ones with no seats that folk use to jump off of stuff onto other stuff. Almost like a climbing bike. Looks like a good laugh and all, but why the cunt has it got no seat? Getting it from point A to the place where you want to jump from a block of pallettes onto a shed must be quite uncomfortable. Why can't it have a seat? You could ride it like a grown-up's bike when necessary, and then once you've found some breeze blocks and a fence, you can stand up on the pedals and be a dick on your stupid pointless bike.

I saw a youth riding one today. It looked daft that he didn't have a seat. I would have asked him what his problem was, but he was balancing on a metal fences outside the Illicit Still.

So, what is your current WTF?!??

How does film work? Like the reel to reel projector film they have in the cinema. Is the sound recorded onto the film as well as the pictures? Are there millions of little pictures on the film that work like a flick book animation? I don't fucking get it.

I always wondered this, and mike hte projectionist at the Vue was nice enough to give me a wee tour of hte projection room last year, the sound as far as i can remember is recorded onto a metal strip alongside the film, which is indeed a load of pictures one after the other.

Sorry it is a bit vague, but i hope that clears it up a wee bit!:up:

Those bikes. Trials bikes. The pushlike variety, not the motorised one. The ones with no seats that folk use to jump off of stuff onto other stuff. Almost like a climbing bike. Looks like a good laugh and all, but why the cunt has it got no seat? Getting it from point A to the place where you want to jump from a block of pallettes onto a shed must be quite uncomfortable. Why can't it have a seat? You could ride it like a grown-up's bike when necessary, and then once you've found some breeze blocks and a fence, you can stand up on the pedals and be a dick on your stupid pointless bike.

I saw a youth riding one today. It looked daft that he didn't have a seat. I would have asked him what his problem was, but he was balancing on a metal fences outside the Illicit Still.

The positioning with the bike they do while trying to get up walls etc mean that they have to get as far down with their bums as possible. Basically, a seat would get in the way, and while trying to launch themselves up over a fence, they'd get a saddle in their gooch, fuck up the jump, lose balance and land on their face. Unless they had a seat that was so low-down that it would become redundant, cos your arse crack would be rested hard up against your back tyre.

Wikipedia is going to kill the thread.

This is for people who are too stubborn to look out the answer :up:

Sorry, I'd better stay out of it then. I hate not knowing the answer to stuff. If I see something on TV at home and I start wondering about it I have to know if it's true or not and immediately fire up the laptop to try and find out. Otherwise the lack of knowledge eats at my soul...

Incidentally, while I'm here, isn't the no seat on the bike thing because they'd smash their nuts when they landed? That's what I always assumed.

I always wondered this, and mike hte projectionist at the Vue was nice enough to give me a wee tour of hte projection room last year, the sound as far as i can remember is recorded onto a metal strip alongside the film, which is indeed a load of pictures one after the other.

Sorry it is a bit vague, but i hope that clears it up a wee bit!:up:

Aye it does cheers. I tried to read the Wiki page but it was too long and complicated. :up:

By the way, how are you going to remember that nonsensical username everytime you log in?

I did not know that. Do they have the option of a detatchable seat?
To have a detachable seat, you'd need a seat post on the bike, which just leads to a big hole in the frame with sharp edges that your bollocks could potentially fall into and get ripped off duiring an overly massively stretched bunny hop (an extreme case, but none-the-less likely).

I should also point out that you do get some with seats, but they have much larger frames, making them heavier and less manouverable. So basically it's up to personal preference.

Its the same with BMX, some people may have their seat-post quite high up like this...

bmx_bike.jpg

...but most pro, especially street, riders will ahev their seat "slammed"...

12345+007.JPG

By the way, how are you going to remember that nonsensical username everytime you log in?

I am the only person who uses my laptop so i just leave myself always logged into aberdeen music, but on the offchance i need to log in, ive had the jf9tp2 bit long enough to remember it, and wd40 aint too hard to add on):up:

• Upvote 2

When two ships meet in the middle of outer space in Star Trek, why are they always the same way up?
HOLY FUCK!?!?!?!?!? That's the best one so far!

Why are evangelical christians completely prepared to believe that a small tadpole like cell can fuse with an egg cell, each of which has no proper shape or form, and then grow into a fully formed human within 9 months, and claim that they are a living human as soon as conception happens (which is why the majority are so pro-life) YET they refuse to believe that roughly the same process can happen gradually over the space of 4 billion years?