aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

So your question was: where is the piece of mass, or quantum of energy that defines the speed of light. Or in simple terms where is that speed of light stored?

The answer is... in the photons which all light is made of!

Or do you mean: Where is the metaphysical idea of "the speed of light" as a measurement? Or something?

Nope nothing metaphysical about it. Light (is believed to) travel at a particular speed. It has a speed limit. For something to exist it must have either mass or energy. A speed limit sign on a road has mass for example. Where is the mass or energy of the law that says that light travels at this particular speed. These so called 'laws of the universe' possess neither mass no energy so in strict terms these laws do not exist. Yet clearly they still apply. So perhaps all that stuff about something have to possess either mass or energy in order to exist is nonsense. It's necessary to take the blinkers off in order to grasp this concept.

Nope nothing metaphysical about it. Light (is believed to) travel at a particular speed. It has a speed limit. For something to exist it must have either mass or energy. A speed limit sign on a road has mass for example. Where is the mass or energy of the law that says that light travels at this particular speed. These so called 'laws of the universe' possess neither mass nor energy so in strict terms these laws do not exist. Yet clearly they still apply. So perhaps all that stuff about something have to possess either mass or energy in order to exist is nonsense. It's necessary to take the blinkers off in order to grasp this concept.

I think I understand now.

You are saying that because the natural laws/universal constants themselves exist (we can observe the effects of their existence), but have no mass or energy, then we might be wrong about existing "things" requiring mass and energy. Well, just mass because all mass is energy!

Would this be analogous to asking why gravity which has no mass, exists?

Gravity is a force which is an effect of mass itself - so it does really exist in the form of mass. The laws of the universe are probably like this, an effect of the universe itself.

Existence really does depend on mass and energy. A thought for example has laws and is unobservable, but is simply an effect of physical activity in the brain which obviously has mass.

There is an accessible book about this sort of shit that I'd recommend called "The Never-Ending Days of Being Dead" by Marcus Chown which clears up in simple terms a lot of these beard-scratchers.

I've been wondering how a Lord can be part of a prime minister's cabinet. ie. Lord Mandleson. I can't recall seeing him in the commons but aren't peers prohibited from entering the commons?

The Government can be made up of MPs or Lords. So basically the ruling party can have just about anybody in the government, so long as they are eligible to become a Lord.

The Government can be made up of MPs or Lords. So basically the ruling party can have just about anybody in the government, so long as they are eligible to become a Lord.

Thanks. So, I suppose we really can't stop this sort of thing happening then, I guess. Ah well..

I think I understand now.

You are saying that because the natural laws/universal constants themselves exist (we can observe the effects of their existence), but have no mass or energy, then we might be wrong about existing "things" requiring mass and energy. Well, just mass because all mass is energy!

Would this be analogous to asking why gravity which has no mass, exists?

Gravity is a force which is an effect of mass itself - so it does really exist in the form of mass. The laws of the universe are probably like this, an effect of the universe itself.

Existence really does depend on mass and energy. A thought for example has laws and is unobservable, but is simply an effect of physical activity in the brain which obviously has mass.

There is an accessible book about this sort of shit that I'd recommend called "The Never-Ending Days of Being Dead" by Marcus Chown which clears up in simple terms a lot of these beard-scratchers.

Aye, but fit aboot all those shoes at the side of motorways?!

So the animals that can't lick their own assholes, how do they keep their asses clean?

Well there's a lot of animals and you haven't specified anything that you know of that has a scrupulously clean arse whilst also being of poor flexibility, but the ones that go in water I imagine get cleaned that way. I've seen mighty hairy cow type species that have huge dangleberries on their fur below the arse so I don't think they are using their Andrex wet wipes. Or tongue. Maybe when they mate the male holds back a spurt of jism to give the old entrance area a quick clean down, a kind of dual purpose shag if you will.

• Upvote 1

Maybe their food contains plenty of fibre, thus making them produce nothing but tidy poops. No wiping or cleansing required.

Yeah well I suppose a diet made up mainly of vegetation would lead to plenty of fibre, however the trajectory of the poo must lead to fur/poo interface. Maybe on short haired species it's just less noticeable. I can't say I've ever inspected an animal's anus that closely.

Roger's Profanasaurus defines a clean tidy poo as an 'arse angel'

I'm not sure why dogs lick their butts, but this is how they reinfect themselves with worms, according to a program I was watching last night. This is also why poochy smoochies are a bad idea unless you're sure said dog is up on its course of meds.

OK tone lowered sufficiently for the biggie. We've been arguing about this in the bar for months, and not even wiki can provide an answer.

Is female ejaculation real, or is it just wee?

(and am I going to get banned for asking that?)

I don't think they know exactly what it is. It's not wee though. Not entirely at least. Maybe a bit. Mixed with other secretions. I guess the next time someone shows a lady a really good time they need to have a test tube at the ready to catch some for analysis.

Animal poo and female jizz, I'm on highbrow stuff today.

From the film thread which got onto the subject of Li Little Dragon, I was wondering. Steve Sillet Sports on King Street have a Bruce Lee poster in the side window of the shop and it's been there for as long as I can recall and I moved to Aberdeen in '93. Is it possible that it's been there since the 70s?

Keep telling yourself that next time Mrs Bigsby empties on your face ;)
Ah, that made me laugh :D

I found that joke moderately offensive and more suited to a smoked filled working man's club in the 1970's. ;) ;)

Ok i'm done lol

How comes the saying money doesnt grow on trees became so popular when infact money is made from paper,Paper is made from wood and wood comes from trees......So yeah money does grow on trees doesnt it?.

Now Ive read that back maybe money doesnt GROW on trees but money comes from trees....So yeah erm aye