aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

When they first take off, they are slow until they get going. I've been beating/shooting for years, I know what I'm talking about.

Cool, i have run over a lot of them and they keep up with a Transit Van at around 40mph for long enough before they usually fly straight into the side of it or across the front. I'm guessing that beating and driving into them aren't quite the same (though fairly similar).

Cool, i have run over a lot of them and they keep up with a Transit Van at around 40mph for long enough before they usually fly straight into the side of it or across the front. I'm guessing that beating and driving into them aren't quite the same (though fairly similar).

They are quick at going vertical if they get startled, so much so that it can scare the shit out of you if they burst out of bracken about 2 feet in front of you and go straight up. They do struggle with the transition from their vertical burst to "regular" flight.

The other reason so many of them get run over is they decide to walk across roads. Dumb little buggers to be honest, but they taste good.

Why do you see so many dead pheasants by the side of roads? I know you see a lot of squashed crows/seagulls which can generally be put down to them being scavenging twats who are too greedy to get out of the way in time when eating dead rabbits but why pheasants? Are they the most suicide prone of birds, a flying lemming? Or are they just particularly slow/stupid?

What is the most dead eins you have seen in one stretch? I once saw 14 dead birds on one road. Kill frenzy.

What is the most dead eins you have seen in one stretch? I once saw 14 dead birds on one road. Kill frenzy.

I've never actually counted but the next time I drive down to Edinburgh/Glasgow I'm going to, I bet it would be in double figures for sure.

So obviously pheasants are pretty dumb. At least too dumb to have any aversion therapy qualities after seeing generations slaughtered by vans.

Those long, bendy buses. I don't see how they are more of a convenience over a double decker. The latter even seats more people so why did they opt for the bendy bus?. Especially in a city centre, I don't see how something that big is a better option for busy city traffic and then weaving through suburban areas.

And buildings and the builders who build them. Buildings have gotten worse as time has gone by. Why is this? Compare the Marischal College building to St Nicholas House. One is unbelieveble intricate stone, and the other is flat block of granite. I don't know the specifics but I can only imagine there is quite a massive amount of time between the two being built. So, why have we gotten worse at building? We really need to get better at building. The city centre looks dogeared compared to the University Campus in Old Aberdeen. No excuses. Just unacceptable.

Those long, bendy buses. I don't see how they are more of a convenience over a double decker. The latter even seats more people so why did they opt for the bendy bus?. Especially in a city centre, I don't see how something that big is a better option for busy city traffic and then weaving through suburban areas.

They're the only option if you want to buy new buses, because of the various disability acts.

Yeah, I was decked when he told me the story the first time. He had another letter written out in crayon for sending in an attempt to get more free Moray Cup, but it wasn't sent. Like I said I will get the full story tonight and add any points I missed.

I am said mate!

I shall tell the story from the beginning and add some additional points. It is pretty accurate already but I will add to it anyway :)

My friend and I indeed wrote a lovely letter complete with our best primary 2 hand writing. This included a fine array of spelling mistakes and we were even sad enough to rub out and rewrite a few of the trickier words so as to make it look like we were indeed 8 and 10.

As Kieran mentioned earlier, the questions, and answers, are as follows:

Q - Where are the two lads located?

A - They are on a tropical island, possibly off the coast of Macduff.

Q - Why aren't the chaps drinking sang's moray cup? It looks like sang's orangeade to me!

A - They are! The bright sun is reflecting off the golden sand and this gives the orange colour!

Poor question (and answer for that matter)

Q - Why do they have green bits in their hair?

A - They have been walking through the trees and so leaves have got stuck.

Q - Since this is a local product, why do the two young gentlemen appear to be of an ethnically diverse nature?

A - They are not! They are actually heavily tanned due to the hot summer we've been having!

In addition to these excellent answers, they treated us to a bonus fact!

Bonus Fact - The sang's moray cup label has been a registered trademark since 1972

Along with these questions, we mentioned how Irn-bru have stopped making the chew bars and suggested that they could make moray cup bars instead. We also told them how amazing partially frozen moray cup is and asked them if they would make a moray cup slush puppy alternative. Sadly, they never got back to us about the chew bar (so hopefully that is being developed although since this was a few years back I very much doubt it) but they did tell us that they did make the concentrate for a slush puppy but nobody bought it!

They told us about how our letter had given them many a smile in the office so gave us a crate of moray cup to say thank you! Brilliant! It was even delivered by the sang's delivery lorry.

After a few months, we thought it might be amusing to write another letter to sang's, this time, we had been having a competition - We both took some paper and a selection of crayons and felt tips and, from memory, drew the moray cup label. As you can imagine, they were terrible and so looked exactly like a ten year old had done them.

The story this time was that we had been having a drawing competition. ''Mummy thinks my one is best but daddy thinks Greg's is best. Which one do you think is best Mr Sang's? We can't pick a good prize for the competition. What do you suggest Mr Sang's?'' :)

I forget what other random ramblings we had, but hidden in there was a list of out 'top 5 flavaz' and descriptions. This went as follows:

At number 5 is sang's fruity - it just tastes so fruity

At number 4 it's sang's orangeade - we like it better than orange tango

At number 3 is sang's strawberry cream soda - it tastes like a bowl of strawberries and icecream on a hot summer's afternoon

At number 2 is sang's cola - it tastes better than tesco cola

At number 1 is sang's moray cup - it really hits the spot!

Sadly, this letter was never sent and thus a winner or suitable prize was never decided upon.

Anyway, that is a slightly more detailed account of what happened.

Pete

Why are some lorry wheels 'innies' and some are 'outies'?? (The alloy bits)

On a twin-wheeled setup (on the same axle) you need to mate two similar "outie" wheels 'back to back' to give you the required space between the wheels. i.e. mate the sticky out bit of one wheel against the sticky out bit of the second wheel and then mount them on the axle together. You can see from this that the four wheels which make up a twin wheeled axle can then all be exactly the same so can be swapped around and changed easily.

:up:

• Upvote 1

Oh apparently it's been changed back again:

In 2007 Tizer was rebranded with the slogan 'Original Great Taste' and a classic Tizer recipe with fewer additives and no E numbers. It was also given classic style packaging without the 'Ed The Head' character. However' date=' despite the relaunch making great play of the addition of real fruit juice and the absence of artificial flavourings, colourings and sweeteners, the recipe was re-altered in 2009 to remove all the real fruit juice and reintroduce natural flavourings, natural colours and sweeteners (Acesulfame-K).

[/quote']

Not surprised, the rebranded one was horrible.

I saw wild ones in Turkey years ago, and they were fecking huge! bigger than any fish i have seen come out of the Dee anyway.

I'm fairly sure that wild Goldfish grow bigger and become Carp. Fairly common fish I think...