aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Lions used to be commonly found in Peru. Apparently 13% of the Amazon rainforest is in Peru.

The Amazon rainforest is also known as the Amazon Jungle, and the Lions living in that Jungle were therefore King of the Jungle.

Thanks.

I think, i may be wrong though, that they lions that you are referring to would be prehistoric. The King of the Jungle thing could possibly have originated from the fact that in modern history and the current spread of lion populations there are still lions in the Gir Forest in India. Also, people tended previously to call all wild animals from other continents (bearing in mind that the "king of the jungle" expression is an English one in origin) "jungle animals" through an ignorance of animal origins.

Where's my dinner? when my mum convinced me to not move out when my mate offered me a room, i figured she would continue to feed me! thus concluding my wondering about, "where the fuck is my dinner!"

You'll find it in the kitchen, that tends to be where I find mine. I then adopt the "get it my fucking self" approach and lo and behold, here I am eating.

:up:

TV ratings... how does that work? From what I understand they (for that matter, who are they? what company or governing body counts TV viewers?)... give out little box contraptions to a random bunch of people/ slice of demographic who tell them what they are watching and when. If that is true, all ratings would be grossly innacurate as they aren't going to hand out the millions of these things it would need to get an accurate measure. Has anyone ever met or known anybody who has had one of these things? I've never heard nor seen any evidence of this system's existence.

maybe it's changed since digital TV and we are instantly sending viewing information all the time. If that's the case, it would funny to see the spike in the graph when the ten minute free view comes on.

Yep, think that's how it works. The only person I ever actually heard of having one was the father of a TV journalist. He was forced to watch the relatively obscure late night political show his son hosted, thereby doubling the "ratings" probably.

With radio they get people to stop you in the street and ask you.

That had better not be a genuine "wonder". :D

I'm afraid it was! I use ebay quite a bit but had never come across Private Accounts until recently so didn't know about all this 'Bidder1' and 'Bidder2' malarky...

Seems a bit dodgy to me, as what's to stop the seller creating another account which is private, and using it up the bids?

I'm afraid it was! I use ebay quite a bit but had never come across Private Accounts until recently so didn't know about all this 'Bidder1' and 'Bidder2' malarky...

Seems a bit dodgy to me, as what's to stop the seller creating another account which is private, and using it up the bids?

Yeah i don't agree with it either. I don't see why it's needed at all.

TV ratings... how does that work? From what I understand they (for that matter, who are they? what company or governing body counts TV viewers?)... give out little box contraptions to a random bunch of people/ slice of demographic who tell them what they are watching and when. If that is true, all ratings would be grossly innacurate as they aren't going to hand out the millions of these things it would need to get an accurate measure. Has anyone ever met or known anybody who has had one of these things? I've never heard nor seen any evidence of this system's existence.

maybe it's changed since digital TV and we are instantly sending viewing information all the time. If that's the case, it would funny to see the spike in the graph when the ten minute free view comes on.

Yes, my Uncle's family has such a box. When you are watching TV you have to select who is watching (it's set up with the details of each member of the household and the option to say + guest(s)). Every time someone entered or left the room you were meant to change the settings to reflect this so as you can imagine, unless the sample could really be arsed doing it properly, the data is even less representative of the country as a whole than you first thought.

I can imagine the only registration of people watching the ten minute freeviews would show "guest" as the only person logged in :laughing:

Guest idol_wild
So that when you go in and they ask what'll it be today you can turn round and say, "Nae that mess on your head". :up:

Oh, I don't use hair salons anyway. I cut my own hair. I'm not paying any divvy to cut my hair.

which is really the top and bottom of Union street? I'd say where Holburn street junction is would be the top, and Castlegate the bottom, But've been told I'm wrong

*wonders*

I think of it as the other way round due to when I used to get the bus from home many years ago, it would travel up Holburn Street onto Union Street, therefore, Holburn junction = bottom, Castlegate = top.

I call the Holburn end the top of Union Street and the Castlegate end the bottom. For the reason that the building numbers start at the Castlegate and go up as you head towards Holburn Street.

Incidentally, what is at 1 Union Street? Five (above Snafu) is number 5, and the Tilted Wig etc. are on Castle Street.