aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Teletext/Ceefax, everyone takes it for granted that by pressing a button some random bit of constantly updated information can come on your screen. I assume its carried along in the signal, but it seems quite confusing and freaks me out thinking about it sometimes.

Good for telling the time though...

Guest idol_wild
I also like Oxtail soup. I try not to think about the name whilst I eat it. It makes me not want to eat it.

Have you ever seen actual oxtail? It's disgusting. You'll struggle to ever eat oxtail soup again. :down:

Orange.

What the hell came first - the colour, or the fruit?

The fruit.

I believe the colour was referred to as a shade of red before the fruit was introduced to er, wherever the fuck it was introduced to.

haud on.....

What was named first? The colour orange or the fruit? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

The colour orange derives originally from the Sanskrit word narangah for the fruit, whose name moved westwards through Persian narang and Arabic naranj to Spanish (the Arabs imported it into Europe via Moorish Spain in medieval times); in French it became corrupted to orange, in part by the process called metanalysis but also through being strongly influenced by the name of the town of Orange in south-eastern France which used to be a centre of the orange trade.

Are there any wild cows anywhere in the world, or do they all belong to farmers and stuff?

There are wild bovines like Buffalo and Bison but not wild cattle/cows as they, by their very definition, have been domesticated by humans over the ages. Oxen are domesticated bovines trained to pull stuff.

I only found out recently that all dogs breeds are descended from the common grey wolf, selectively bred over thousands of years by humans.

The domestication of animals is quite fascinating, read up on it :up:

When two ships meet in the middle of outer space in Star Trek, why are they always the same way up?

I think they're modeled on the flight patterns of fighter planes - certainly, in the case of Star Wars, George Lucas made the space battles look like WWII dog fights.

I suppose it's just simpler from our perspective.

Anyway, the transporter in Star Trek throws up more questions than this!

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?

"The Egg came first". The chicken was not around when the Coelacanth was swimming earth's great ocean. quod erat demonstrandum, as I have just demonstrated using a prehistoric timeline as my greatest factual aid. ......"

Why do kamakazzee pilots wear seat belts and crash helmets?. (thats an olde one)

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours?

And my final serious wtf is,

How far east can you go before you're heading west?