aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

You think that street light thing is awesome, wait until I tell you about the spinny bit on pedestrian crossings for deaf and blind people. It will change your life. You'll never cross the road the same again.

Is it like a roundabout that spins people several times before making them swerve across the road? If so that's pretty cruel, it's bad enough when you can see where you are going.

Would be an ace optional feature at traffic lights. Have a spin if you think you're hard enough. Think of it as extreme total wipeout, or natural selection.

• 3 weeks later...

How is the research conducted that allegedly shows that when communicating a message we only rely on words for 7% of the message, tone of voice for 38% of the message and 55% body language?

Ive had the unfortunate experience of being involved in a number of fucking nonsense training courses over the years where this fact or similar is given as gospel but I really cant understand how the study was conducted.

Did you listen to what that guy was saying?

Hmm, only about 7% of it, I was really impressed by the way he was standing though and the timbre of his voice was very trustworthy.

Surely this is nonsense? I fucking listen to what people are saying (unless I don't want to hear them)

Those spinny things are amazing, I always try and touch them and I'm not blind or deaf.

I'd obviously maybe get out the way if there was an actual blind that needed to use it.

Venetian or Roller?

How is the research conducted that allegedly shows that when communicating a message we only rely on words for 7% of the message, tone of voice for 38% of the message and 55% body language?

Ive had the unfortunate experience of being involved in a number of fucking nonsense training courses over the years where this fact or similar is given as gospel but I really cant understand how the study was conducted.

Did you listen to what that guy was saying?

Hmm, only about 7% of it, I was really impressed by the way he was standing though and the timbre of his voice was very trustworthy.

Surely this is nonsense? I fucking listen to what people are saying (unless I don't want to hear them)

So what about phones? We can't rely on body language for that. So it's between tone and words. And what about this. This is 100% words. I do think we use a lot of body language in deciphering what someone is meaning but I wouldn't say it's the majority. We're not bees.

So what about phones? We can't rely on body language for that. So it's between tone and words. And what about this. This is 100% words. I do think we use a lot of body language in deciphering what someone is meaning but I wouldn't say it's the majority. We're not bees.

Tone says a great deal too. That's why communication online can so easily be misinterpreting as being/not being sarcasm - it's so difficult to tell sometimes.

xx

• 7 months later...

Everything you ingest affects the makeup of your urine. Urine is not waste but actually a blood product produced by your kidneys. It is the excess nutirition that has been extracted from your food, for which you have no immediate requirement. Your kidneys store it for a while to see if it's needed, but of course more is being produced all the time. Eventually this surplus is released as piss. This is why the body has a piss pipe and a poop chute, the former is an overflow, the later is the sewer.

The composition of urine reads like a health tonic:

• Alanine, total ..... 38 mg/day
  • Arginine, total ..... 32 mg/day
  • Ascorbic acid ..... 30 mg/day
  • Allantoin ..... 12 mg/day
  • Amino acids, total ..... 2.1 g/day
  • Bicarbonate ..... 140 mg/day
  • Biotin ..... 35 mg/day
  • Calcium ..... 23 mg/day
  • Creatinine ..... 1.4 mg/day
  • Cystine ..... 120 mg/day
  • Dopamine ..... 0.40 mg/day
  • Epinephrine ..... 0.01 mg/day
  • Folic acid ..... 4 mg/day
  • Glucose ..... 100 mg/day
  • Glutamic acid ..... 308 mg/day
  • Glycine ..... 455 mg/day
  • Inositol ..... 14 mg/day
  • Iodine ..... 0.25 mg/day
  • Iron ..... 0.5 mg/day
  • Lysine, total ..... 56 mg/day
  • Magnesium ..... 100 mg/day
  • Manganese ..... 0.5 mg/day
  • Methionine, total ..... 10 mg/day
  • Nitrogen, total ..... 15 g/day
  • Ornithine ..... 10 mg/day
  • Pantothenic acid ..... 3 mg/day
  • Phenylalanine ..... 21 mg/day
  • Phosphorus, organic ..... 9 mg/day
  • Potassium ..... 2.5 mg/day
  • Proteins, total ..... 5 mg/day
  • Riboflavin ..... 0.9 mg/day
  • Tryptophan, total ..... 28 mg/day
  • Tyrosine, total ..... 50 mg/day
  • Urea ..... 24.5 mg/day
  • Vitamin B6 ..... 100 mg/day
  • Vitamin B12 ..... 0.03 mg/day
  • Zinc ..... 1.4 mg/day

Trace levels of toxins can be detected but only in the same way that a bottle of spring water "may contain nuts". Second only to your blood, your urine offers the biggest possible clue to your state of health, which is why the doctor will often order a urine sample. Over 300 substances have been identified in urine. It also contains metabolites, hormones, antigens, and neurotransmitters. Fresh urine is completely sterile, and can even be used as an antiseptic. Apply it to a cut and the cut will heal faster with less chance of infection. Most people would do well to wash their hands BEFORE going to the toilet!

Many prescription drugs are manufactured from urine. The companies that operate the portable toilets harvest the urine from them, process it, and extract certain substances from it (I'm not kidding). These drugs are used for a wide variety of conditions, and include: ureaphil, urofollitropin, pureaskin, amino-cerv, permarin, and panafil. Mare's urine is the active ingredient that the cosmetics uses in anti-aging products. TIP: Save money and use your own, it would be even more effective.

Urine is a staple of ayurvedic medicine, and in the West it has been found to be extremely effective against many diseases, in particular cancer, autoimmune diseases, and allergies. However urine cannot be patented therefore this research has largely been suppressed by the pharmaceutical industry who prefer to concentrate on urine extracts. Again your own urine would be a more effective solution.

Hope you found this interesting :)

• Upvote 1

Fresh urine is completely sterile, and can even be used as an antiseptic.

I may be mistaken, but I was led to believe this is a misconception - that in reality urine is sterile until it reaches your pisshole, at which point it becomes immediately contaminated...? I could be wrong though, it's happened once before!

xx

I may be mistaken, but I was led to believe this is a misconception - that in reality urine is sterile until it reaches your pisshole, at which point it becomes immediately contaminated...? I could be wrong though, it's happened once before!

xx

I'm pretty sure this is true.

Non-piss related. My cat's mewing a lot when I leave a room. Should I get a radio to keep it company while I'm at work?