aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

How how harmful is it to swallow mouthwash on a regular basis? Someone at work has been advised to use mouthwash by his dentist, so the past 2 weeks, he's been swigging it, and then swallowing it. He's almost through a whole bottle. He insists it's fine. Will he be fine, or will he shit out his own liver?

What stuff has he been drinking? If it's an alcohol based one I'd advise him not to! Depends what's in it, but certain alcohols are metabolised to toxic chemicals, which can cause blindness etc. One of my favourite medical things is that if you drink anti freeze the treatment is to give you ethanol.... so you in effect can get drunk on the NHS. Win!

From the oral b website, although obviously don't dial US helplines...

Steps To Follow If You Happen To Swallow A Large Amount Of Mouthwash

Swallowing small amounts of mouthwash may leave you feeling a bit queasy or may even cause diarrhea, but these symptoms should pass. However, if your child or someone you know overdoses on mouthwash by drinking and swallowing a large amount, take these steps:

Seek Help

* Call the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for quick, confidential help. Do not try to make the person who swallowed the mouthwash vomit it up. Instead, be sure you have information about the victim's age, weight, and the type and amount of product swallowed. It's very important to have the product close by so you can tell the operator the specific ingredients.

Check The Label

* Check the label to see which of these potentially poisonous products the mouthwash contains: fluoride or ethanol. Severe symptoms of a mouthwash overdose related to these ingredients may include dizziness, drowsiness, trouble breathing, or, in serious cases, convulsions or a coma. In severe cases, head for the emergency room, and bring the mouthwash bottle with you if possible.

It's probably only small amounts, but still I'd advise him not to.

I recently read a report by a friend who found research saying using alcohol based mouthwashes increased risk of oral cancer. Makes sense... but I wonder by how much

How how harmful is it to swallow mouthwash on a regular basis? Someone at work has been advised to use mouthwash by his dentist, so the past 2 weeks, he's been swigging it, and then swallowing it. He's almost through a whole bottle. He insists it's fine. Will he be fine, or will he shit out his own liver?

I assume he's been swallowing it because he thought that's what you do rather than because he fancied it?

I know someone who drank mouthwash when they were younger because they thought they could get drunk from it. They ended up coughing up blood. Less than they probably deserved.

My brother is a doctor and had an old alcoholic guy on his ward. The room in which the guy was staying seemed to constantly be low on the anti-bacterial handwash in the dispenser and the bloke seemed to be half cut a lot of the time. Turns out he was squirting it into his tea every day! That's what I call addiction.....and stupidity.

I 'member being at a party once in the Broch, and this dude turned up so fried he could hardly keep his eyes open, totally spaced, I was sure he'd been on a big downer binge. Then he claimed he'd drank an entire bottle of Benylin.... never tried it myself like, but could be true I supposse, though as it was Fraserburgh in the 1990s, he was probably on smack.

It is. It's even the same photo innit. I initially thought it was Rose West, but the quiz was called "Famous Faces" and the rest of the answers were all folks like Barry Manilow, David Bowie, and Keira Knightley, it just seemed unlikely that they would put Rose West in amongst them. Oh well that's confirmed, hopefully I'll win the muffins.

I have a memory from a film I watched when I was young and have never been able to work out what it was. I WONDER if any one can shed light on this recollection.

It looked as though it were medievil times, though with a fantasy elements; magic may have been involved. One scene I remember there were people in a tunnel and there was booby traps slowly closing in on them, much like the scene in labyrinth, though horizontally rather than vertically. I think one of them died.

Another, towards the end I think, involved a wizard type pulling someones heart from their chest, but it was glowing hot and he couldn't hold onto it, subsequently dropping it or throwing it over a balcony. I think this scene was set in the mist of a castle, whilst a battle was taking place.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks.

I have a memory from a film I watched when I was young and have never been able to work out what it was. I WONDER if any one can shed light on this recollection.

It looked as though it were medievil times, though with a fantasy elements; magic may have been involved. One scene I remember there were people in a tunnel and there was booby traps slowly closing in on them, much like the scene in labyrinth, though horizontally rather than vertically. I think one of them died.

Another, towards the end I think, involved a wizard type pulling someones heart from their chest, but it was glowing hot and he couldn't hold onto it, subsequently dropping it or throwing it over a balcony. I think this scene was set in the mist of a castle, whilst a battle was taking place.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks.

Not sure about the wizard bit but the tunnel scene sounds like a bit from Krull.