aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Especially if you add the word "Holmes" at the end.

If you're going Mexican it has to be "Ese"

The cake/eat thing:

Main point here is that it is physically impossible to both have your cake and eat your cake because once you've eaten the cake you no longer have the cake. It's about trying to have/do two opposing things - a bit like the phrase 'you can't have it both ways'. DOES THAT HELP?

The cake/eat thing:

Main point here is that it is physically impossible to both have your cake and eat your cake because once you've eaten the cake you no longer have the cake. It's about trying to have/do two opposing things - a bit like the phrase 'you can't have it both ways'. DOES THAT HELP?

You could have your cake sexually then eat it. DOES THAT HELP?

What was the fucking purpose (or porpoise, arf) of Ecco The Dolphin on Sega Megadrive? I've been trying to play that motherfucker for 15 years and I've never got past the first screen. I get as far as jumping out of the water so all the other animals disappear, and then finding that whale who tells you to go to Big Blue and that's as far as I've ever got. After that I spent 20 minutes swimming round the whole level only to find that every path is a dead end, and then I get annoyed and switch it off.

What was the fucking purpose (or porpoise, arf) of Ecco The Dolphin on Sega Megadrive? I've been trying to play that motherfucker for 15 years and I've never got past the first screen. I get as far as jumping out of the water so all the other animals disappear, and then finding that whale who tells you to go to Big Blue and that's as far as I've ever got. After that I spent 20 minutes swimming round the whole level only to find that every path is a dead end, and then I get annoyed and switch it off.
My mum completed that game. And she fucking sucked at computer games. She used to do the motions with her hands while trying to jump over gaps in Crash Bandicoot, that's how shit she was.

But bought Ecco the Dolphin and completed by playing it at night after we went to bed before giving it to us as a present at Christmas.

So, you are worse than my Mum. LOL

The cake/eat thing:

That does. I never thought of it like that. I thought it meant they would take a slice of cake, but not eat it, because that would be unforgivably greedy.

If that was the case the saying would be "You can't have two cakes."

Agree, very silliy saying. What good is a cake if you can't eat the fucker?

I had the same problem when this first came out and took it back to the shop where a helpful sales chappy demonstrated how to get out.

You use the sonar beam that Ecco shoots (like blue semi-circle ray thing, if I remember right) and you fire it at the blue circle (should be about in the right hand side of the level?). The blue circle will start to shake after a few blasts; keep going and then it'll start spinning and eventually turn into a portal of some kind. Dive into it and it takes you to the next level.

Let me know if this works. :)

• Upvote 1

Is the absinthe that you get in bars these days the same drink as the mad shit that was popular in France in the late 19th and early 20th century, that made Van Gogh cut his ear off? Or have they just revived the name and slapped it onto some strong green drink? Flash, I'm looking at you here.

IIRC, Absinthe was only ever banned in France where they drank shitloads of it. It was never illegal anywhere else. I'm pretty sure it's the same drink you get nowadays and that the halucinogenic ingredient is a myth. There's maybe something in it that causes a bit more of a crazy drunk than other stuff, much like you get a different buzz from whisky, red wine, etc but I think it was the sheer quantity of the stuff people drank back then that turned them mad.

Much like every other drink, it's a watered down version you get nowadays but I once met a guy whose family used to make the stuff and he said it's pretty much the same drink. whether that's a fact or not I don't know.

Interestingly, (or not) Pastis came about as an alternative drink after absinthe was banned, using the same ingredients.

There's a very old bar in the center of the city here that is famous for being a place where Ernest Hemmingway, Dali, Gaudi and some other famous folk would go to drink absinthe. I think the absinthe they sell today is more or less the same as in the past. Each person is only allowed to drink a maximum of two though.

Is the absinthe that you get in bars these days the same drink as the mad shit that was popular in France in the late 19th and early 20th century, that made Van Gogh cut his ear off? Or have they just revived the name and slapped it onto some strong green drink? Flash, I'm looking at you here.

Yo - yeah I can provide you with the definitive answer on this. Absinthe was originally distilled in Switzerland and then France. Absinthe was traditionally drank with 1 part absinthe : 4 parts chilled water poured over a sugar cube on a perforated silver spoon. They did not set the liquor on fire.

When the production ban on absinthe came into force, the distillers Paul Ricard and Pernod (who originally produced Pernod Fils absinthe) started to produce a similarly flavoured drinks named Pastis and Pernod respectively. Later these distillers merged to form Pernod-Ricard. This is the source of the Pernod we drink today. Until recently this was the closest thing to absinthe that was available.

In the 1990s some drinks pertaining to be absinthe were distilled in Spain and the Czech Republic. These bore little or similarity to the original product, other than they contained wormwood.

In my opinion, the closest thing to authentic absinthe currently available is produced by Ted Breaux at Jade Liqueurs.

Ted is a microbiologist who spent years researching absinthe, including purchasing bottles of vintage absinthe at auctions and running them through his GC/MS machine in order to determine their composition. He has also purchased wholesale much of the equipment, including the stills used by the original manufacturers. His absinthes are meticulous recreations right down to the bottle. To all intents and purposes they are genuine authentic absinthe. The story is very interesting.

To the best of my knowledge The Moorings is the only bar in Scotland currently stocking Jade Liqueurs Absinthes, although you can also purchase them on-line.

pf_bottle.jpg

You can read about Ted Breaux here, the article helps dispel as few myths:

Wired 13.11: The Mystery of the Green Menace

As an aside, the reason absinthe was banned was not due to any profound hallucinogenic quality (other than that which we may experience with other forms of alcohol), it was more to do with the social impact of the drink. A similar thing occurred in London approx 150 years before the banning absinthe, known as The London Gin Craze, or The London Gin Scourge, you can read about this here:

Gin Craze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

250px-william_hogarth_-_gin_lane.jpg

Of course the next big thing is the Aberdeen Ear Bud Menace...

LeftImage.jpg

• Upvote 2

Why are there people in Aberdeen stupid enough to pay 100 to have their picture taken with a convicted rapist?

Because he was one of the greatest atheletes, fighters and most famous people of the last century.

I wouldn't do it, and I certainly wouldn't give my money to the guy, but people will pay for that sort of thing.