aberdeen-music

Bruce Millers

Frosty Jack

Shitty thing to happen. I had always assumed the place to be doing fairly well. Can't say I've shopped there particularly often, but I can't say that I shop at all particularly often...

I heard whoever is buying it turning it into either a retail development with a garden on the roof or a golf course...

In all seriousness though, I hope whatever it's future is as many of the current staff as possible are kept on!

xx

I really hope they can keep it open, I'm a fairly regular customer, it's near my work so I'm always popping in for strings, plectrums etc. Bought a Fender acoustic out of there a couple of months ago as well.

I had always assumed the place to be doing fairly well. Can't say I've shopped there particularly often, but I can't say that I shop at all particularly often...

Problem they have is the same as most retail places, everything they sell is available online for much cheaper becaure the mail order companies have fewer overheads, whereas the shop has to pay for things like staff wages, lease on the building, electric and gas bills etc. so they need to be more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if people go in there and try out guitars they fancy, and then order them online.

Pretty tragic news. An iconic Aberdeen shop, where I've spent a small fortune over the years. If only more people did the same. As mentioned already, Union St will soon be bereft of local businesses which is is a truly shite state of affairs.

Best of luck to all the staff. Always found it a friendly place to shop.

Guest Gladstone

I don't spend much money in Bruce Millers regularly simply because I don't have spare cash to spaff away, but I love the place. I've spent a reasonable amount over the years - couple of 400/500 bass guitars being my main purchases, but other than that, just song books, CDs, picks, tuners, etc.

If I was buying a new bass tomorrow it would probably be from Bruce Millers. I know I could try it there and get it cheaper online (like I know some folk do), but I'd rather buy the one I'd actually tried out because I know what it sounds like.

I've always preferred BM to R&B - just personal preference. The staff have always been really helpful and friendly. Decent wee cafe upstairs as well.

A true shame if that's the end of it.

:(

Do whatever the fuck you like (as long as it isn't making light of/ fun of people who've worked hard for countless years trying to save a business losing their jobs).

You must spread....

Damn shame if it's true.

Aberdeen, like every other toon centre, is losing it's identity.

I don't spend much money in Bruce Millers regularly simply because I don't have spare cash to spaff away, but I love the place. I've spent a reasonable amount over the years - couple of 400/500 bass guitars being my main purchases, but other than that, just song books, CDs, picks, tuners, etc.

If I was buying a new bass tomorrow it would probably be from Bruce Millers. I know I could try it there and get it cheaper online (like I know some folk do), but I'd rather buy the one I'd actually tried out because I know what it sounds like.

I've always preferred BM to R&B - just personal preference. The staff have always been really helpful and friendly. Decent wee cafe upstairs as well.

A true shame if that's the end of it.

I'm more likely to buy guitars from R&B, I find it a little more welcoming, but I do go to BMs for things like sheet music, straps, tuners, plectrums, strings etc. Plus I always seem to end up buying weird instruments when I'm in, like recorders and penny whistles and harmonicas. Must have spent a fair wedge in there over the years.

I thought they'd have been making a lot of money from the sandwich bar, cafe and the electrical bit upstairs even if the instruments weren't making the sort of money they used to. Plus they do instrument tuition and stuff as well don't they? And they have the Howff. Now that I think about it, that's a whole lot of income streams so yeah it is surprising to see them struggling.

Guest Gladstone
I'm more likely to buy guitars from R&B, I find it a little more welcoming, but I do go to BMs for things like sheet music, straps, tuners, plectrums, strings etc. Plus I always seem to end up buying weird instruments when I'm in, like recorders and penny whistles and harmonicas.

I thought they'd have been making a lot of money from the sandwich bar, cafe and the electrical bit upstairs even if the instruments weren't making the sort of money they used to. Plus they do instrument tuition and stuff as well don't they? And the Howff. Props to there for having an iron in so many fires.

Dunno, I've never taken to R&B for some reason. I bought my amp from there and the dude helping gave me some excellent service (ginger guy, long hair - he's on here as sloth I think), but I've never found R&B "welcoming" to be honest. In fact, that would be one of the things putting me off the place. I find the staff in BM much more approachable and helpful. I got excellent service that one time, when it was pretty clear I was buying an amp, but I've had fantastic service from BM for buying a set of strings (for example).

I'm sure the two places divide opinion, but BM has always been my preferred option.

It'll be because my grunny boycotted the shop 15 years ago. She went in to buy a couple of recorders and got shouted at by one of the staff for one reason or another. She'll still occasionally bring the incident up to this day. Strangely it's had a knock on effect on me and I never go in.

Guest Gladstone
It'll be because my grunny boycotted the shop 15 years ago. She went in to buy a couple of recorders and got shouted at by one of the staff for one reason or another. She'll still occasionally bring the incident up to this day. Strangely it's had a knock on effect on me and I never go in.

Complete aside... my mum had a bad experience in Sterling furniture store when I was a kid - probably about 15 years ago. I boycotted the place and always made a big show of never going in whenever my wife and I were looking for furniture. Turns out my mum's boycott ended years and years ago. I love the place now...

/coolstorybro.

Back to BM - you should go in, it's an ace shop!

Complete aside... my mum had a bad experience in Sterling furniture store when I was a kid - probably about 15 years ago. I boycotted the place and always made a big show of never going in whenever my wife and I were looking for furniture. Turns out my mum's boycott ended years and years ago. I love the place now...

/coolstorybro.

Back to BM - you should go in, it's an ace shop!

It's funny how these things can last years and years.

I think i've bought maybe one magazine and a bottle of orange oasis in the whole time i've known the shop to exist.

As an aside, it was a pretty big deal to my granny at the time because before she'd buy loads of instruments and music books from there coz me and my siblings were all orcehstra nerds. (at least 3 violins, a flute, a piano, drums, etc)

Oh man... I've never ever been anywhere else if I need to buy strings/picks or whatever, honestly wouldn't know where to look.

R&B would be the logical choice but failing that - Strings Direct - Online Guitar Strings and Accessories

I do hope BMs is sold as a going concern. I've always had excellent service from everyone in the instrument department and they gave me a great deal on my American Special Tele earlier this year. Really like The Howff as well.

Eugh. It's a real shame that Union Street has turned into any other high street. Maybe something to be said for reduced rental/rates for local businesses a la BMs? But then, why would they when The likes of Hugo Boss and G Star Raw can and probably would pay double whatever it is just now.

It'll be interesting to see if the independent other retail outlet(s) last up that end. Signature is the only one i can think of, but no doubt it will go soon.

It's a real shame to lose one of the two main music shops in a city with too little music shops. It'll be interesting to see if it remains a music shop - Guitar Guitar have branches in G'town, Edinburgh and Newcastle i think. Admittedly not local, but a music shop nonetheless and a good one. Probably mean the end of RnB though...