aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Does anyone actually enjoy their job/career?

Genuine question. Do you like what you do and who you do it for?

I have two jobs .......in summer I work in the oil industry and enjoy the money .......in winter I stand in a bar in a ski resort and play guitar and sing , I enjoy that better .......apart from the lack of money :)

My job isn't exactly what I'd planned for, particularly the fact that it is in oil and gas, but 14 months into it, I'm coming round to it. While i don't absolutely love it, I don't absolutely hate it. When I feel like I am a valuable meber of staff and that the work I do is important in making business decisions, that's when I feel satisfied by it, however as I work for a small company, there is plenty of sitting around doing very little. This is what i hate the most.

To be honest, when i think about doing this for the rest of my life, it makes me feel a bit dead inside. I just try to always remember that there really isn't anything else out there, that I know of, that I would rather be doing. I would like to own a business of some kind one day, but I am very lazy, which might hamper getting something off the ground. I am very unproductive when I'm left to my own devices.

So, to summarise, I don't really know.

I like my job, but not my place of work. I actually do enjoy what i do, i have an important role that i have practically made up over the past 18 months, no one did what i do now, before i started doing it, but some of the people i work with make your working life very difficult and i cannot be arsed with that at all. Life is hard enough without having some knobbers making your working day a grind.

If someone could put me in the exact same job, just in another building, i would be the happiest guy in the world.

I didn't so I quit 4 weeks ago. I'm now sitting in my boxers watching Helicopter Heroes. No point in doing something that makes you unhappy. Granted, I built up a bit of cash before doing it, but my point still stands.

• Upvote 2

I love my job. I love where I work. I get minimal hassle/pressure and manage my own workload with minimal interference from higher-ups. I can go outside at lunchtime and walk into a picture postcard world of trees, old buildings and cobbled streets. The people I do jobs for are on the whole friendly and appreciative. I have a nice pension plan.

They'll have to kick me out because as far as I'm concerned, this is me for the rest of my working days.

• Upvote 1

I really do. Working for the oil bastards was not something I saw myself doing while growing up, but I landed a suitably challenging, really rewarding job. I get to meet loads of interesting people, yet know that it's not a case of walking in on a Monday morning and facing the same old bores before getting stuck in rush hour traffic heading home. And of course, the time off is a beautiful thing. Offshore!

Well it's good that a few of you are fulfilled then! Was really interested to see what everyone else's situation is.

I think I'm in a similar position to Moose. 9 years in the dead feeling when you think about the rest of your career doesn't seem to have gone away. I hate working for oil companies and am starting to dislike the IT industry. I also really, really hate commuting into Aberdeen. I'd love it if I could work in Banchory or even just somewhere that wasn't in the city. But that's not likely with my chosen career.

Changing career would be a huge amount of work and effort (plus financial sacrifice) so I guess I'm stuck here.

Maybe I'm just having a bad morning. Thank fuck I've got a holiday coming up.

My job can get monotonous at times. But I enjoy it. And it's opened my eyes to other, more fun, parts of this industry I could perhaps try my hand at if I ever hated my job. The folk I work with are cool. A couple get right on my tits. But who doesn't enjoy a good moan/bitch when they get home?

My job can get monotonous at times. But I enjoy it. And it's opened my eyes to other, more fun, parts of this industry I could perhaps try my hand at if I ever hated my job. The folk I work with are cool. A couple get right on my tits. But who doesn't enjoy a good moan/bitch when they get home?

Plus, Hugo Boss watch, right?

• Upvote 1

I mostly really like my job, it's never boring and I'm happy with the hours I work and what I get paid. At it's best it can be a lot of fun, interesting and not feel like work at all. However, at other times it can be completely infuriating and seem pointless. I've been where I am for nearly 4 years now and I am feeling a bit bored with the school where I work and being with the same staff and students. And making the same train journey out of town every single day. Next summer I'll move I think but I'll probably stay in teaching for a while as I really can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.

It's not something that thrills me every time I come to work, but I view it as more of a means to an end. I did seriously consider a career change to something I'd love doing a few years back, but the financial implications would mean I wouldn't be able to do the things I want in my spare time. I certainly wouldn't own property or have been to SxSw the past two years.

I view it as more of a means to an end. I did seriously consider a career change to something I'd love doing a few years back, but the financial implications would mean I wouldn't be able to do the things I want in my spare time.

This. I don't yet own a property, and have never been to Texas, but still. This.

Not especially, to be honest. I work in the Whisky industry, but due to the nature of the industry, it is made up of a lot of vapid, yet wealthy individuals who definitely see Scotch Whisky as a means of promulgating one's status. Which is something many wealthy individuals seem to be very interested in doing. There's a lot of pandering to be done to over-expectant politically right-leaning people who ostensibly show how superior they feel themselves to be, purely because they have fiscal wealth. One of the biggest drinks companies in the world is the major shareholder of my organisation, and I disagree with how this particular drinks company goes about their business and how they try to exert their authority and influence over competitors.

As a business, the company I work for is concerned purely with profits - the welfare and treatment of the staff is secondary, and it's actually massively disgusting on a moral level; I definitely feel dirty for working where I do. It is effectively against my ethos and approach to life, but I have to suck it up because I am a hugely unemployable 32 year old with very little evidence of career persual since I graduated from university, aside from 2 years in Aberdeen in 2008 and 2009. I live in a capitalist world, and I am just going to have to accept that. I want to pursue the things I am interested in, and this requires money to do so; my job is just a means to an end for me, and it probably always will be.

That said, I do get shitloads of cheap/free Whisky. And I fucking love Whisky, so it's not all terrible. But really, despite the small issues I have outlined, the challenging workload, and the scant remuneration, I am genuinely grateful that I have a job - the job market where I am located is very competitive and having spent time foolishly pursuing music for a few years, I have undesirable gaps and spaces on my CV and job history. Employers really don't like that.

I don't see my current job as a career, and I do not see myself actively pursuing a career in the drinks industry.

Parts of it. It depends what I'm doing on that particular day. I work in a call centre and on the days I spend 8 hours a day fielding calls from angry customer arguing about their phone bills (usually wrongly) and being told to stick things up my arse all day, those days I could gladly go home and stick my head in the oven. The worst part is that everything we do is timed, we have set breaks and lunches and a computerised clock-in system measures it down to the second, and if you're one minute late back you get a bollocking. Also you have to be logged in and ready to take calls all day - we don't have the option to just go for a piss, or a smoke, or take a personal phone call because then as soon as we log out someone's on us asking what we are doing. Plus you have all this stuff to do after each call, and they only give you 30 seconds to do it. The staff get treated like absolute shit, and it's hard going sometimes. Though other days I do some supervisory stuff, training newbies, listening to other people's calls and giving them tips, calling people back who have ongoing problems, working through call stats and the likes, and I help out with recruitment as well. Those days I really do enjoy it, because there's way less pressure, and most of the people who work here are really awesome. In general I do quite like things, if I can get promoted up soon then I'll be laughing. I hated working in the oil industry, and I took a massive pay cut to change jobs and had to start again at the bottom again but I don't regret it for a second.

having spent time foolishly pursuing music for a few years, I have undesirable gaps and spaces on my CV and job history. Employers really don't like that.

I think there are a few of us in the same bracket! I am lucky i got my job purely through a friend of the family who was absolutely desperate, otherwise i would have never gotten a look in, thankfully i managed to make it stick and build on the job i started off in, but outwith working here my CV is terrible, gaps everywhere when i genuienly thought i was going to be the next Jon Bon Jovi, but as a drummer, and did nothing but sit around, playing drums, making money through other means, which definitey cannot go on the CV :D.

Unfortunately I don't actually have a job (still lookin') but I don't know how likely it'll be to land a part-time job I actually enjoy. I guess when you're a student you just want to get something that'll bring a bit of money in and hopefully you'll make friends at work.

Changing career would be a huge amount of work and effort (plus financial sacrifice) so I guess I'm stuck here.

This is how I feel. I could go to college and do something else, but I couldn't afford to support myself on a shitty out of hours part time job whilst I studied to do something else. Astonomical Aberdeen rent doesn't help there, nor do I fancy doing some horrible retail/bar job alongside it for peanuts per hour. I did a bunch of IT stuff when left school and went to college, but getting an IT job has been unsuccessful for me, despite having the qualifications. I tried solid for about 5 years, and just gave up and got stuck in doing shitty office stuff.

My job is okay, but the lack of support from the Scottish Government for what we do is getting incredibly frustrating. They put daft legislation and shite software in place for all of Scotland to use, but nobody knows how to administer the legislation or use the shit software that barely works. I'm starting to look elsewhere, and even at jobs in England. I'd move back to Yorkshire in a snip if I could walk into a job. It's a bit difficult to go back and forth for interviews though, considering it's about £130 return on the train!

My job is pretty rewarding financially, plenty of challenges and room to progress. It's probably as close to a "dream job" as I'll get outwith working in the arts - but that's a less-than-likely scenario given that I have a mortgage to pay and I suck at the arts. So if I'm gonna be stuck anywhere while my dreams die, this is as good a place as any.

xx

I’ve now worked in the oil industry for 24 years and have been kind of lucky for the most part in that the natural progress of my career meant a change of role every few years so I didn’t really get the chance to get bored. I did fancy a change from the offshore life about 10 years ago and managed to wangle a shift to an onshore position which proved to be a rather fortuitous move into a lucrative area of the industry. After 18 years with the same company I decided to move out into the big bad world about 5 years ago, largely as a self-employed consultant. I’ve since been through 7 different companies in 8 differing roles of mixed interest level. I find I start to get bored after a while of doing the same thing and get itchy feet with no staff benefits package to keep me tethered. The problem with this is that it does become easy to move if unhappy and then shorter duration roles start getting queried in interviews.

Although I don’t maintain a particularly extravagant lifestyle, my work allows me to do the things that interest me while also being able to comfortably look after my family, so as for others it is a means to an end and as long as I get into the correct sort of role it is rarely mind-numbingly boring. The main problem I find is the constantly dealing with people whose arrogance often outweighs their ability, rife in this industry.

Ultimately, I would quite like to do something outside the oil industry one day and my aim is to batter away at the mortgage as much as I can to get it to a level where I don’t need to rely on an oil industry wage to make ends meet. I always fancied opening some sort of music-based shop in my hometown but have no idea how to make it at all lucrative given the current problems for record shops and it’s probably only ever going to be a pipe-dream.