aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

There's not much she could destroy, no one has any flowers or anything outside, its just a raised grass area that surrounds the outside of the flats and the concrete bit right outside the back door that right now is filled with bits of old carpet that have been there for months. The outside of the building is just concrete nothing special, even if she had pee'd against it you would only notice if you saw her in the act, it seems more intentional to stop her hanging around outside the flat for whatever reason, i think they just dont like cats in general. Having a word would be great, but they dont look at you or anything if you pass them in the hall, they are the same with the other folk who live here i get on with the rest of them i have met.

I agree with Jan, have a chat with them, don't be confrontational or over-react, be the bigger man and try and keep a lid on "i've got a cat and i don't care if you like it" attitude as they're as entitled to not like cats as you are to like them. The fact that they haven't chucked out stuff that could hurt your cat is an obvious lean towards the fact that they don't mean it any ill will. One of them might be afraid of cats, you won't know unless you ask them.

• Upvote 1

If they do turn out to be nasty mentalists who don't want to reason with you, then you might as well start posting small bags of your used cat litter, turds and all, through their letter box. Does your cat catch birds and mice, bring them into your house and destroy them? A few mangled pest corpses stuffed into their letterbox and keyhole would set the record straight too. Maybe they just don't like animals in general? I hear there's many fox sightings in Bridge of Don. Perhaps do your best to catch one with a lead and collar, and then tie the lead to the outside of their door handle. Then maybe throw something at it to make it angry, or taunt it with out-or-reach raw meat so it's mad as hell, so when they open their door, it will have at them with its rabid, diseased teeth.

Or I SUPPOSE you could just report them to the Council, if they don't play ball.

• Upvote 2

So after an amicable discussion with the neighbour it turns out that my cat scratched one of their grandchildren when they cornered it in our little cubby bit, hence why they are putting down anti-cat stuff in that area. I explained that they would be better advising their grandchildren stay away from her as she is terrified of kids and it would likely happen again if the three of them had her in a corner, but they had told me that if it happens again they will phone the council about her being a dangerous animal.

What are the chances of the council doing anything about it if it happens again?

I have given them advice on how to make sure it never happens again, and i have told them i will wash the anti cat stuff off any communal area's, but they are welcome to put it anywhere around their windows if they want too. Short of never letting the cat out incase their grandchildren come round i dont see what else i am suppose to do here.

So after an amicable discussion with the neighbour it turns out that my cat scratched one of their grandchildren when they cornered it in our little cubby bit, hence why they are putting down anti-cat stuff in that area. I explained that they would be better advising their grandchildren stay away from her as she is terrified of kids and it would likely happen again if the three of them had her in a corner, but they had told me that if it happens again they will phone the council about her being a dangerous animal.

What are the chances of the council doing anything about it if it happens again?

I have given them advice on how to make sure it never happens again, and i have told them i will wash the anti cat stuff off any communal area's, but they are welcome to put it anywhere around their windows if they want too. Short of never letting the cat out incase their grandchildren come round i dont see what else i am suppose to do here.

They would probably have to prove it, so unless they video tape it happening, it's impossible to prove impartially. To prove it, they'd probably have to video tape the kids provoking it, so that evidence should rightfully collapse on itself really, as it wouldn't happen unless kids are giving it grief. Then again, if they are putting down Anti Cat chemicals on shared property, that could be considered Anti-Social Behaviour by the Council, so you would have a defence there. They would only really have a right to put it on their windows and doorway, but not shared/communal property.

That is kids being kids though, they probably only wanted to play with it (my niece does the same with my cat) and don't understand that it's scared. The grandparents are clearly just concerned and wary so you can surely understand where they're coming from.

On the other hand, they've got to see your point of view as well and should be happy enough to tell the kids to stear clear of your cat and educate them about approaching unfamiliar animals.

You would probably get a visit from a community welfare officer if they complained, but i'm sure they'd see your side too so it may be for the best that they go down that route as it would probably end up with them looking silly.

Go and speak to Citizens Advice Bureau if you're concerned for the safety of your pet though as you could technically ASBO the shit out of them too if they start playing silly beggars for real.

Sounds OK just now if you're having an amicable discussion, only problem would be if there is another incident between the grandkids and the cat. In that case it might develop, but I'd say at the moment you're better just not getting too hung up about it and hopefully it'll blow over. They're naturally very defensive about the kids so may have acted in the heat of that, and it might not be such a big deal now.

But if it does escalate, you could consider mediation. It's probably something the Council would advise anyway -

http://www.sacro.org.uk/html/community_mediation_service.html

Stick a little bit of raw potato in with it.
I have heard this as well. Though I heard its also nicer with a slice of orange peel. This was from people in Finland who who's tobacco is dry as fuck when they buy it so they tend to open a pouch as their current one is on its way out and leave the orange peel in for about a week before they start the new pouch.
  • Upvote 1

I was always told to stay away from cats (other than my own, at the time) and to ask permission to pet a dog because they might not like strangers... it's not difficult to educate your kids, and if they're too young to understand then they're too young to be out playing unsupervised.

Knowing that the kids are behaving in that way, do you really want your cat going into that cubby? If the stuff doesn't harm her, maybe it's for the best? Don't want her getting more scared or stressed out.

• Upvote 1