aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Oh dear god, I know you're trolling. Please tell me you're trolling us.

I've got a credit card, and we put all purchase on it. Means we have 37K points, half way to a free return flight to New York Business class. Get other bonus' with the credit-card, Insurance & free Airport lounge entry.

128825237867770978.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah, he has 37K points, I'm gonna bathe in ipods. Job's a good'un.

And back to my Q, I just think it's shit. Almost like kicking you when you're down. I don't have sufficient credit rating to get it from A. So I'll try B. But due to A's rejection taking my credit rating down, B will also reject, and I'll end up having to get credit card X. Even though if my credit rating didn't get fucked from A I could have had B or C.

It's like a girl going "your dick isn't big enough, but I'll take off an inch before you leave so the uglier girls won't take it either".

• Upvote 1

I've got exactly £0 of debt, i do have a credit card, but i havent used it in about 4 years now

Same, except I used mine recently and paid it off due to hating the thought of debt looking over me. I now have zero debt. I think the only thing I really want to allow myself to get into debt for is to buy a house, and possibly a car eventually I wouldn't want to do it for something frivolous and non-essential anyway.

Trust me having a mortgage is fucking horrible if you think of the reality of it. It literally means "debt 'til death". I owe some cunts nearly £200,000. That's a lot of pints. At the Moorings, with band discount, you could get 100,000 pints of beer. 250,000 units of alcohol. That's more than your "recommended allowance" for 228.9 years. Considerably more if you opt for spirits.

xx

Trust me having a mortgage is fucking horrible if you think of the reality of it. It literally means "debt 'til death". I owe some cunts nearly £200,000. That's a lot of pints. At the Moorings, with band discount, you could get 100,000 pints of beer. 250,000 units of alcohol. That's more than your "recommended allowance" for 228.9 years. Considerably more if you opt for spirits.

xx

How big is your house!?

It's a simple 2 bedroom in Alford. Well, 2.5 bedrooms, it has a study which is too small to be classed as a bedroom, so it's my mancave.

Paying WELL over the odds, the same place in Dundee would probably cost around £120k. Maybe less. It sucks, BUT it means when I eventually bail on the UK and move abroad I'll be able to trade up to something that's actually WORTH that much money. As long as it doesn't depreciate too much then I'm not fussed, my monthly payments are still a bawhair less than I was paying in rent and this money is staying in my posession since I can sell the house and get it back.

xx

Anyway,

Applying, and being rejected for credit gives you bad credit rating, yes? Why?

Declined applications. Lenders can only see whether you've applied for credit elsewhere, not whether you've been accepted or declined. However, they may be able to guess by examining the credit accounts you have open. From the MSE link above

Repeated applications for credit are a bad thing. It makles you look desperate for credit which sets alarm bells ringing in lenders minds.

Lucky - how is your credit rating in general? Have you looked at getting a balance transfer onto a 0% interest CC, even for some of that balance. If you did that, even for maybe 3 grand, you'd be in a great place compared to now because you'd drop interest payments by 30% and then you'd be able to pay the same but make a bigger dent into the capital, which would reduce the interest you're paying, which both shortens the length of time you're paying it off for and saves you money.

As long as you pay off at least the minimum on a CC each month, you'll do your credit rating no harm, so as long as there have been no missed payments, they should be pretty keen to have you. Check the MSE website linked above and look for 0% balance transfer CCs and pick one with reasonably easy entrance criteria and as long an interest free ON BALANCE TRANSFERS as you can get. Then they'll say 'you can use up to 90% of your credit limit on balance transfers' and you can transfer over the max amount from the CC you have, then just make min payments onto that card to keep them sweet while you clear the bulk of your debt. If your credit rating is good enough, there's nothing to stop you getting another one from someone else and doing the same again. Basically, the ideal situation is to get as much as possible of the CC debt onto interest free cards and then your payments will have more of an impact. Don't get me wrong, it's still debt, but it's MUCH better to have debt at 0% interest than at the standard 16.9%APR of a credit card.

I did this with Barclaycard and got accepted in something like 15 mins and had the card within a few days. A week later I'd transferred the balance and manged to avoid paying any interest at all (it had started as an interest free on purchases and I'd spent, then paid most of it off but left some and the interest free period was ending shortly after)

To give an illustration, for guys on here new to CCs and credit, here's a situation like Lucky's. Say he spends £10K on a CC. The annual interest on that is probably calculated monthly, so it's 1/12 of 16.9% of the monthly balance.

Say he pays off £300 per month. At the end of the year, his balance will be about £7930, so he'll have spent £3600 paying his credit card off and only reduced the debt by £2065. That's £1535 he's spend on interest alone!! So whatever he spend the £10K on, will actually have cost him £11,535 and that cost is still rising.

If, however, he was able to transfer £3K of that to a CC with 12 months interest free on balance transfers and does it at the start of the year and then pays £250 to the first CC and £50 to the new on with no interest (or whatever teh miminum payment is on the new card), at the end of the year, he'd have spend the same £3600 but he'd have reduced his balance by almost exactly £500 more.

At the end of that 0% on balance transfer period, he does the same again - finds another card with 0% at balance transfer (his options should be good as long as he's met his payment schedules because his credit rating will have improved) and he can transfer as much as possible of the balance from the card with the higher interest rate onto the 0% card, plus as much as they'll take from the other one. when a card's interest free period expires adn you transfer all of the balance off it, cancel the card, cut it up and throw it away to prevent temptation. Let's say he manages to get another £3K for another 12 months and keeps doing it until the balance of the main offending card is cleared and then pays the full £300 per month into the other one and clears that too. On the original card, it'll take him 46 months to pay it off and in total he'll pay £13,592.85. If he does the transfers, it'll take him 40 months and he'll pay £11,912.00. That's a saving of about £1680. The more you're able to transfer onto an interest free card and the less that you pey monthly (just make the min payments), the more you save and the quicker you clear it.

And why don't most people do this? laziness. A bit of effort can save you serious money and help you get back on your feet much quicker.

Credit Cards are EXTREMELY handy and offer things like payment protection, and most people use them with no trouble at all. If, however, you have no willpower or you're reckless with money (and this is someone who works for a bank speaking) they can be poison and they have the potential to ruin your credit rating, your financial stability and potentially even your life.

Apologies for the long post, but it's something that most people should know and don't, often until its too late.

• Upvote 2

A while ago, whilst backing up my laptop onto my external hard-drive, I got a pop-up to say that the drive had been improperly ejected. I hadn't touched it, so unplugged it then put it back in only for the laptop to not recognise it at all. I took it to the Apple store to see what the problem was but they couldn't fix it. They said they could reset the drive so that it worked again, but this would wipe all the data. I got in touch with WD who make the hard-drive and they couldn't do anything but suggested some data recovery companies. Everywhere seems really expensive, though. The last one I phoned gave me a quote of £200 at the least. So...

Does anyone know of any cheap but good data recovery companies or is that probably the lowest price I can expect?

A while ago, whilst backing up my laptop onto my external hard-drive, I got a pop-up to say that the drive had been improperly ejected. I hadn't touched it, so unplugged it then put it back in only for the laptop to not recognise it at all. I took it to the Apple store to see what the problem was but they couldn't fix it. They said they could reset the drive so that it worked again, but this would wipe all the data. I got in touch with WD who make the hard-drive and they couldn't do anything but suggested some data recovery companies. Everywhere seems really expensive, though. The last one I phoned gave me a quote of £200 at the least. So...

Does anyone know of any cheap but good data recovery companies or is that probably the lowest price I can expect?

Are you at uni? DIT recovered everything from my WD hard drive when I dropped it - it had the only copy of an essay, and all it took was a box of sweeties. I then returned it to WD and got a replacement. Granted that replacement was shite and started to smoke when I plugged it in after not using it for a while :(

Speak to Graham, he can usually do this kinda stuff no problem. Easily the best place in Aberdeen to go.

• Upvote 1

Try Graham Knight - I'm fairly sure he can do it. He's got a shop in Rosemount called Knights Computers.

I'm living in Edinburgh for now, but next time I'm back in Aberdeen I'll have to see if he can work his magic. Thanks :)

Are you at uni? DIT recovered everything from my WD hard drive when I dropped it - it had the only copy of an essay, and all it took was a box of sweeties. I then returned it to WD and got a replacement. Granted that replacement was shite and started to smoke when I plugged it in after not using it for a while :(

Hmm... I'm not a student anymore, but I could maybe find a rogue student and get them to claim it's theirs!

I'm living in Edinburgh for now, but next time I'm back in Aberdeen I'll have to see if he can work his magic. Thanks :)

Hmm... I'm not a student anymore, but I could maybe find a rogue student and get them to claim it's theirs!

Hi Kirsten,

There are a number of ways of trying to recovere deleted data. The most complicated take about 12 hours to run a really deep scan to recover files.

Drop the unit by me next time you are in Aberdeen and I will see what can be done.

There ill be no charge at all - music has been good to me so I like being good to musicians :)

I recovered somebody's wedding pictures last week - they had been on a memory stick that had been washed but the lady had put the still wet stick in her PC. I still got the pics back - her husband was pleased.

• Upvote 4

Have you tried connecting it to a non-Mac computer? It may be the USB connection that's borked, rather than the drive it's self, may be worth trying to open the casing and removing the drive. If your desperate, I could have a look at it, but can't promise anything.

Hi Kirsten,

There are a number of ways of trying to recovere deleted data. The most complicated take about 12 hours to run a really deep scan to recover files.

Drop the unit by me next time you are in Aberdeen and I will see what can be done.

There ill be no charge at all - music has been good to me so I like being good to musicians :)

I recovered somebody's wedding pictures last week - they had been on a memory stick that had been washed but the lady had put the still wet stick in her PC. I still got the pics back - her husband was pleased.

Thanks, Graham, that's really really good of you. I may not be back in Aberdeen until December, but I'll let you know!

I'm mainly concerned about getting back some videos I have on there. I deleted them from the laptop itself as they were taking up far too much room.

Have you tried connecting it to a non-Mac computer? It may be the USB connection that's borked, rather than the drive it's self, may be worth trying to open the casing and removing the drive. If your desperate, I could have a look at it, but can't promise anything.

Yeah, I tried plugging it into my parents' laptop, but still no joy. The guy in the Apple shop tried a few different USB cables too but seemed pretty stumped!