aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I keep getting phonecalls from the Harrogate social services regarding the welfare of someone's daughter called Selena. I keep telling the lady on the phone that I don't live in Harrogate and I don't have a daughter called Selena or know anyone with a daughter by that name. The woman who keeps phoning me is understandable irrate, by the sound of it this poor lass isn't having the best of times and she want's to resolve this. Today is the 7th time she has called me. The second I answer my phone she realises it's me but still asks to speak to Selena's parents.

Well today I snapped. I told her that I didn't know anyone by the names of the people she asked to speak to and that I am in Scotland. Not Harrogate. I told her that I appericate something is going on but by phoning me a couple of times a day isn't going to sort anything out. She sounded kinda pissed but then she said. 'But this is the emergency contact number they gave me so I have to phone you.'

What the fuck is going on?

did you used to be Jimmy Saville ? :)

• Upvote 4

That's what it boils down to, tbh. It'd be one thing finding out that yer ma used to fuck dudes on camera for money, but to find out that you were unwittingly part of the appeal is pretty weird if I'm honest.

I think the worst bit is you're putting you and your child at risk of HIV each time... I know they're all meant to get tests each month, but that won't stop it. Apparently the cervix closes during pregnancy, so no spunk is getting up in there.

I think the worst bit is you're putting you and your child at risk of HIV each time... I know they're all meant to get tests each month, but that won't stop it. Apparently the cervix closes during pregnancy, so no spunk is getting up in there.

Didn't carmella bing get hiv? so you know. it happens.

I keep getting phonecalls from the Harrogate social services regarding the welfare of someone's daughter called Selena. I keep telling the lady on the phone that I don't live in Harrogate and I don't have a daughter called Selena or know anyone with a daughter by that name. The woman who keeps phoning me is understandable irrate, by the sound of it this poor lass isn't having the best of times and she want's to resolve this. Today is the 7th time she has called me. The second I answer my phone she realises it's me but still asks to speak to Selena's parents.

Well today I snapped. I told her that I didn't know anyone by the names of the people she asked to speak to and that I am in Scotland. Not Harrogate. I told her that I appericate something is going on but by phoning me a couple of times a day isn't going to sort anything out. She sounded kinda pissed but then she said. 'But this is the emergency contact number they gave me so I have to phone you.'

What the fuck is going on?

Maybe this is an elaborate scam.

So their emergency contact for a family in Harrogate is someone based in Aberdeen? Seems daft.

Possibly a wrong digit somewhere.

And is Selena in a home? Why isn't a member of the family with her already?

I dont think mobile phone numbers are regional, if they are phoning his mob they wont have any clue where he is.

If I were planning on attending SXSW next year would I have to register in advance and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.

I would say that you should book a hotel very soon as over 1000 bands descend upon Austin, and they will all be looking to stay in the city centre. I would also look into whether or not you actually want to buy a wrist band. The two times I have been, I just went to the free shows, and it was great.

I would say that you should book a hotel very soon as over 1000 bands descend upon Austin, and they will all be looking to stay in the city centre. I would also look into whether or not you actually want to buy a wrist band. The two times I have been, I just went to the free shows, and it was great.

I knew you'd be the person to help me out!

I'm not definitely going yet but had a quick scan of the website and the music 'badge' was about $700. Which is pretty mental.

I knew you'd be the person to help me out!

I'm not definitely going yet but had a quick scan of the website and the music 'badge' was about $700. Which is pretty mental.

Yeah, but that is to get into all sorts of music industry shit. Fuck that! You want to go to the free shows with free beer and mexican food. Woodsinho went this year, he didn't buy a wristband and he got to see Japandroids, lucky bugger!

• Upvote 2

It was a righteous week of music and beer and food. That particular gig also featured Deerhoof and Of Montreal although I missed Of Montreal to get a bus to get back to my apartment which, in retrospect, I didn't need to do. Never mind.

Going for the free gigs is the way forward; I certainly don't feel like I missed out on anything as a result of not having a badge. The only thing I was really gutted to miss out on was seeing High On Fire and that was only because it was on the first day and I hadn't done proper research on where I was trying to get to.

So many different styles of great band too - one day featured an afternoon of punk/(post-)hardcore (headlined by Braid and Hot Water Music HECK YES) followed by an evening of stoner rock/doom metal. It was glorious.

What's the best way to sell a car? I'm guessing a garage would be easiest and safest, but pay a lot less than private sale?

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you take it to a garage with the intention of trading it in against something else you'll probably get much more than you would from selling it privately, as they are still going to be making money from you. I once got £1300 for an old Ford Fiesta that I bought for £900 3 years earlier. I was trading in against a £6000 car though so even though they were going to lose a couple hundred on the Fiesta, they were still making 5 grand! If you're just selling it though they'll offer you a pittance. Private is probably the best way in that case.

Has anyone ever had discs from Lovefilm go missing in transit between Lovefilm and your front door? Were you held accountable for the loss?

I've heard of some people having to pay for the discs, even though they never received them. I had 3 discs posted to me last Thursday. They're not here. Chances are the postman has had away with them, or one of my cunt neighbours.

Has anyone ever had discs from Lovefilm go missing in transit between Lovefilm and your front door? Were you held accountable for the loss?

I've heard of some people having to pay for the discs, even though they never received them. I had 3 discs posted to me last Thursday. They're not here. Chances are the postman has had away with them, or one of my cunt neighbours.

There's no way they can hold you responsible for that loss. If every disc they sent you went missing they might get suspicious but I honestly can't imagine how they'd justify charging you for something you never received. Until it's been delivered it can't be your responsibility.

There's no way they can hold you responsible for that loss. If every disc they sent you went missing they might get suspicious but I honestly can't imagine how they'd justify charging you for something you never received. Until it's been delivered it can't be your responsibility.

They presumably hold some kind of insurance with Royal Mail, right? That would make very much a lot of sense for a company who will be sending out hundreds if not thousands of DVDs and games every day.

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you take it to a garage with the intention of trading it in against something else you'll probably get much more than you would from selling it privately, as they are still going to be making money from you. I once got £1300 for an old Ford Fiesta that I bought for £900 3 years earlier. I was trading in against a £6000 car though so even though they were going to lose a couple hundred on the Fiesta, they were still making 5 grand! If you're just selling it though they'll offer you a pittance. Private is probably the best way in that case.

Just selling, not trading in. So what's the best way of selling a car privately?