aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Wilshere is out 6 weeks now.  Hooray for friendlies!

It was great when Andy Townsend commentated the slow-motion replay and said "Now" as Agger made contact with Wilshere. Because I almost missed it, on all 3 replays, if not for Andy Townsend, pin-pointing the moment of contact in the hefty challenge.

He should have freeze-framed it, and drawn a circle around the contact, John Madden style, incase his verbal pin-pointing and the visual slow motion replay wasn't enough.

When will NO COMMENTARY be an option on live broadcasts? I swear you can do it via BBC's red button, but the BBC don't show really show football anymore.

The last time I cried at an Aberdeen game was at Hampden in April 2000, when Aberdeen beat Hibernian 2-1 in the Scottish Cup semi-final. I cried at the full-time whistle, and less than 10 minutes later I had to knock out a Hibs casual for starting on us whilst we headed back to the car. I wish he saw me cry before I laid him out, so he knows how much of a pussy had just battered him.

• Upvote 1

Sadly for me it would have meant flights and a hotel and I couldn't afford it. Well, I could have but apparently a Dons cup final is less important than saving for my wedding next year. Pah. She's never understood me. If we get to the Scottish cup final she can get tae.

I actually have really fond memories of that season. Partly just because of how ridiculous it was I think. A lot of it has to do with age, that was during the period when I was probably the most dons and football obsessed I ever have been. But there were some great moments to remember that season.

I'll never forget the bizarre experience of listening to us get our first win in the 6-5 match away to Motherwell. I couldn't wait to the next morning to read all the reports in the morning paper and get every detail. 

It might sound like a bad state of affairs to have Andy Dow be the star player but he somehow was incredible that season. He just kept coming up with fantastic goals. His confidence clearly just sky rocketed and he rode the wave as long as he could. I remember he scored a really great one in a 1-1 draw away to Saint Johnston. However his most important goal (aside from the semi final one mentioned) has to be the extra time winner against the huns in one of the early rounds of the league cup. It must have been only October or something, maybe November but we were definitely not in a good period of the season. I couldn't believe it when we won that match. The fact we had had so little to cheer all season made it extra special. Great scenes outside the ground after the match. Another great moment from that match was Belabed, in the final minutes after we'd scored, doing keepy ups while they were waiting to take a free kick. McCann pretty much put him in a headlock to get him off the ball. Probably the best thing Rachid ever did in a dons shirt sadly. 

Speaking of Moroccans. No signing has ever got me as excited as Zerouali, I loved him as soon as he came on in his debut and turned the match around by creating two goals. Think it was against hearts and we were down 1-0. Even though we were at the bottom of the league I suddenly felt like we had the best player in the country and everything was going to be alright. I was baffled when he was left on the bench for the Scottish Cup final. We beat Killie 5-1 in a game late on in the season which he scored a goal that (at least in the way I remember it in my head) was almost as good as Van Basten's in 88. 

I feel like I've rambled quite a bit, in conclusion. Sack McInnes, get Ebbe back.

How bad is restricted view? Anyone had any experiences? If it's just the odd pillar I don't care.

For a normal game it would be pretty frustrating but given the occasion I'm sure you'd regret not going because the atmosphere would more than make up for it in this case.

Celtic Park restricted viewing in my experience is being sat behind a pillar.  I've sat behind said pillar (there isn't just one pillar by the way - just the one I've sat behind).  From where I was, I could see the entire pitch with a bit of head movement.  I.e. I could see about 3/4 of the pitch, but maybe the bottom right corner was out of sight unless I leaned to the right.  Really not that bad.

I've never sat in the seat beside the eye-poking steward though.  That sounds bad.

My boyhood heroes Bohemians kick off their Premier League campaign tonight away to UCD Dublin. Tough season for Bohs last year, finished third bottom and only avoided a relegation play-off spot in the last game of the season. They're kind of the Hearts of the LOI at the moment, not a pot to piss in and loads of youth players. I'm heading along tonight.

12986841553_196d170a9b_c.jpg