aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Again, the hand ball is one of those you do see given, but i always think they are harshly given. There isnt much Reynolds can do to get out of the way, but does that stop it being hand ball? 

Still great to see Lennon spit his dummy out, this is turning out to be a bit of a damp squid season for him, out of Europe early, out of both cups early  and they have nothing to play for now, he has achieved the bare minimum this season, you have to wonder if that will be enough for him to be around next year. 

Again, the hand ball is one of those you do see given, but i always think they are harshly given. There isnt much Reynolds can do to get out of the way, but does that stop it being hand ball? 

Still great to see Lennon spit his dummy out, this is turning out to be a bit of a damp squid season for him, out of Europe early, out of both cups early  and they have nothing to play for now, he has achieved the bare minimum this season, you have to wonder if that will be enough for him to be around next year. 

Like you say - it would have been harsh if given.  He tried to pull his arm out of the way but didn't have enough time to react.  Penalties given in those circumstances are very harsh.  In fact, I once had one given against me when the ball bounced up off a bobble in the ground and hit my hand that was by my side.  The ball was going to bounce harmlessly behind me and either out of play or to the keeper.  I was gutted.  That lost us the points in that game...

I'm pretty certain Lennon will be at Celtic next season unless he gets offered an EPL job that he fancies.  What I mean is it will be Lennon's decision - I can't see the board getting rid of him - who would they bring in?  Lennon can't be getting paid that much relatively speaking as he came in as a rookie.  They've got him on a one year rolling contract (I think) as well, so no severance fees if they do decide to sack him.  It's not exactly a high profile job now without the old firm matches.  There's some experience to be gained in the CL (if they get past the qualifiers), but they'd probably be looking at taking in a lower profile manager if Lennon goes.  David Moyes may well be looking for a job I suppose.

I can't see Lennon leaving. I don't think his stock is high enough to get him a job offer which would tempt him away and for reasons mentioned already I don't think there's any chance he would be fired. 

Now that Celtic can't achieve an unbeaten season, they really have nothing to play for. It would have been embarrassing if they had achieved an unbeaten season because they are not a special Celtic team at all. 

Lennon would be completely found out if he took an English Prem job. Bad manager, bad loser, bad guy.

I said at the time that it was very strong refereeing to dish out the red and maintain that - at the time I thought there was a covering defender, but I think red was justified and the correct call. I was also pleased to see Thompson dish out a couple of quick yellows to Griffiths and Ambrose in the ten minutes following the red - it would have been easy to not give those too - and then have a word with Izaguirre for trying to get a Dons player booked.

Natural reaction to sit in second half, very nervy towards the end but ground it out. Excellent decision by McInnes to bring Shaughnessy and Anderson off the bench to keep things tight. I thought Tate looked out of his depth - just looks like a guy who hasn't played football for a few years. Maybe just needs to settle but I much preferred the comfort of Hector's pace if we're comparing the two.

Flood and Robson often wasteful with possession, they need to look after the ball a bit better, especially against a team that can punish as clinically as Celtic. Langfield excellent. Robson needs to take more free kicks please! Especially those slightly to the right of goal like the one McGinn hit the wall with last night

Never a penalty.

GIRFUY Neil Lennon.

• Upvote 2

Lennon would be completely found out if he took an English Prem job. Bad manager, bad loser, bad guy.

I said at the time that it was very strong refereeing to dish out the red and maintain that - at the time I thought there was a covering defender, but I think red was justified and the correct call. I was also pleased to see Thompson dish out a couple of quick yellows to Griffiths and Ambrose in the ten minutes following the red - it would have been easy to not give those too - and then have a word with Izaguirre for trying to get a Dons player booked.

Natural reaction to sit in second half, very nervy towards the end but ground it out. Excellent decision by McInnes to bring Shaughnessy and Anderson off the bench to keep things tight. I thought Tate looked out of his depth - just looks like a guy who hasn't played football for a few years. Maybe just needs to settle but I much preferred the comfort of Hector's pace if we're comparing the two.

Flood and Robson often wasteful with possession, they need to look after the ball a bit better, especially against a team that can punish as clinically as Celtic. Langfield excellent. Robson needs to take more free kicks please! Especially those slightly to the right of goal like the one McGinn hit the wall with last night

Never a penalty.

GIRFUY Neil Lennon.

Robson should be all over free kicks.  All the time.

I just looked at the table.  I don't know who the games in hand are against, but if Inverness and Motherwell were to win their games in hand, Aberdeen - 51 points, Motherwell - 50 points, Inverness - 50 points.

I know it doesn't work like that as there will be games played by Aberdeen etc. before the games in hand are caught up, but that's all very close.  Should be an exciting couple of months ahead fighting for second place.  Hopefully Celtic lose their remaining 11 matches to make it even more exciting.

The commentator during the match last night said that Celtic are something like 15 points better off than they were this time last season. I know that is mostly due to them dropping points when distracted by the Champions League last season but could you imagine how exciting it would be if Aberdeen were only 6 points off the lead just now. There end result would inevitably Celtic winning the league of course but it would be close enough to dream.

Don't think there's much in the Moyes mutual consent stories.

It's been all over twitter this morning but it's just like the transfer season.  Someone with a lot of followers puts something like this up on twitter, websites with no credentials or reliability write an article on it to try and get a scoop.  Caught offside have never reported anything first that turned out to be true as far as I can remember.

Twitter is on fire with Fergie coming back to save the sinking ship.  Why would he?

Why tarnish his exit?  Moyes failings are just making what he did look even better last season.

Yeah, I was a lot more comfortable when Shaughnessy and Anderson came on.  I can see why Logen was started, given the requirements of a wing back, and I guess he thought Anderson was in desperate need of a break.  My Dad and I were calling for them to come on after about 55 minutes as Tait and Logen were pretty poor.  Good players to have about the squad, however. 

I'm always taken aback by how good Shaughnessy actually is defensively.  He should be in the 1st 11 every week. 

I thought Man Utd were unspeakably shite in Greece this evening. Olympiakos knew how Manchester United would play - a futile focus on playing the ball wide to Young and Valencia, and the Greeks set up accordingly. They defended deep and doubled up on United's wide men to slow them down, therefore allowing the backline and the two midfielders immediately in front of them to position themselves and man-mark the one or two players who have strolled into the penalty area. It was text book defending against a team who rely so hugely on their wingers. It's not the first time we've seen that this season, either; almost every defeat can be attributed to failings stemming from their over-reliance on the wingers (and/or Antonio Valencia at right-back), and their apparent lack of redeeming qualites. It wouldn't be so blatant if their wingers actually cut the mustard.

The recent cliches are not erroneous; Manchester United are incredibly one-dimensional, and I feel David Moyes is not quite ready to be Manchester United manager. I get the impression very few players at the club have genuine respect for him, because he's never won a trophy in his career. Pretty much every United player has won more trophies than Moyes, so I think they are reluctant to show immediate respect and faith in his 'project' (gaaaahh).

Manchester United were laughably bad tonight, and Olympiakos totally controlled that game, despite United's superior posession percentage. We all know it's what you do with it that counts. You look at United's bench, and it is relatively woeful and lacking in any player that could change the game.

I noted Andy Townsend was urging Moyes to bring on Hernandez and "scrape a toe-ended goal, or a scruffy deflection" to get them back in it, which I thought was pretty regressive. Why not assess the attributes of the players at your disposal and find an alternative solution to the questions your opponents are asking? Vidic and Ferdinand looked really cagey, and Smalling was just fucking shit at right-back. Rooney had to constantly drop deep to get involved in play, which left Van Persie isolated up front, chasing fucking rubbish balls played over the full-backs. And what is he going to do if he keeps the ball in play near the corner flag, with two men standing off him, limiting his passing options? Play is almost stationary for a few seconds, giving Olympiakos that time to populate their own penalty area with defenders and deep midfielders, and United are out-numbered. It happened so frequently, if the ball didn't slither out of play or hold up enough for the covering defender to reach it first.

United also failed to press with any sort of intensity, which was the opposite to their opponents. Olympiakos seemed to take it in spells to press high-up (sometimes dependant on where United were stroking the ball around) before dropping back and pressing only in their own half, but their pressing had real intensity and intent, and we often saw United players needlessly relinquishing possession.

United were crap. Moyes is deluded.

Bang on. Except for Vidic being cagey. Vidic was colossal. It was mostly Rio falling over, playing shite passes and overplaying when the ball was at his feet. So shit. Vidic's challenges and clearances were huge. Smalling is unbearable at right back. His reputation as a footballer is getting a hammering, because he's an excellent centre back, as is Jones. Just neither of them get to play there.

United were the worst they have been in a long time, and it's Moyes' fault. It was pure tactical annihilation. United have a much better team in terms of individual talent, but United's approach on the pitch has regressed hugely since Moyes waded in with his own men. They had the better of possession, but how much of that possession was between Rio and Vidic at the back?

Moyes' Manchester United play like a game of Football Manager where he's asked his assistant to pick the team, and set up no tactics, no team talk, no instructions. Start game. Lose convincingly, and then wonder "How did we lose?!". It's not a perfect squad, but it's still a relatively good squad. But Moyes doesn't seem to have much of a clue of how to get them to do anything.

"We played well"

"We got to the byline"

"I don't understand what we have to do to win"

The guy is so out of his depth. He should have taken on the next level up before joining an elite club. He had the chance to go abroad and manage a top 4 Bundesliga side. He should have done that. Push for a cup and the title, get some Champions League experience, and then take the next step. He was brought into the big time far too quickly.

He just has to go. I don't think he will. I genuinely think he'll still be in the job this time next season.

There isnt much Reynolds can do to get out of the way, but does that stop it being hand ball? 

YES! It has to be deliberate. Doesn't matter if you've seen them given, wrong decisions don't magically become correct because they happened. It has to be an intentional handball for a foul to be given.

YES! It has to be deliberate. Doesn't matter if you've seen them given, wrong decisions don't magically become correct because they happened. It has to be an intentional handball for a foul to be given.

Then you can understand why Celtic are annoyed it was not given. If its a pen once it should be a pen every time. Consistency is what everyone wants.