aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

You know I've been thinking occasionally about how good (or otherwise) Rooney actually is. When he's in the mood he is a very good player. I think mostly because he's big, fast and strong in an Alan Shearer kind of way.

But, in all honesty he isn't a player that's ever excited me that much. Is it all just hype created by a media frenzy when he was a teenager?

I may be doing him a dis-service but if I supported one of the top clubs in Europe I would be disappointed if they splashed cash on signing Rooney.

Edited by Gladstone

He's had a few exciting seasons. That season when he, Ronaldo and Saha took the piss was something else. Ronaldo got all the plaudits, but Rooney was huge. Then 09/10 when he actually played as the main striker consistently, which he hadn't done prior, or since. Buttloads of goals. And the season City won the league, he scored another buttload. He usually has one right bloody good season, then a year or two off.

He's probably United's best player this season, but he's still a tit, and I don't really like him. I wish he'd swan off the PSG, and let Mata have his position.

R.e. Le Tissier, It's fine to be content with your place in the world but as a footballer I feel the very best have a driving ambition to succeed at the highest level. That's part of what makes a world class footballer. Le Tissier just didn't have that and for that reason I see him as a lesser footballer. Didn't Xavi (might have been iniesta) once say he was his idol growing up? That speaks volumes of the talent he had and on a personal level, good for him doing something he loved in a place he loved week in week out, but the world of sport tends to disassociate the individual from their talent (rightly or wrongly) and so I can't help but see his career as a waste of potential.

With Champions League football looking ever increasingly unlikely Man Utd need the Rooney contract to either a) entice the standard of player they will need from elsewhere without the lure of Champs League, or b) keep his value high for when/if they choose to sell him in the summer.

Lee Miller was great btw, loved him at Aberdeen. Excellent technically, but slow as fuck. The signing of Craig Brewster brought him on loads as a player.

Craig fucking Brewster. Jesus.

Agreed the Rooney contract is designed to maintain a certain image for the club. Personally I'm amazed he doesn't get more stick from fans for the way he's taken the piss with the club. Is that three times he's been desperate to leave only to sign a new contract for additional mega bucks?

Twice. He does get alot of stick. The Rooney thread on RedCafe is mostly folk being flabbergasted at the mount of money, or underwhelmed at the thought of him staying. Not many people thrilled by the news.

I don't believe he ever really wanted to leave on either occasion. I remember an interview with John O'Shea after he left United saying that Rooney came in to training the next day (after the first time he asked to leave, and it was seemingly concluded in 48 hours) and said "Sorry boys, but I did what I had to do". He asked to leave to get more money.

Same probably happened last summer. After a year in RVP's shadow, he wanted to feel valued, and not be on the bench for huge games (like he was against Madrid) or being shunted into midfield/left wing. The club have bent over backwards for him again and made him allegedly the highest paid footballer in the world now. BBC say he's earning more than Messi and Ronaldo, in terms of club wages only. Bonkers.

Still, if he plays well during the remainder of his time at United, and especially if he breaks Bobby Charlton's goal record, he'll be a club legend and probably get a statue, regardless of the amount of times he's dicked the club around. He's done no worse than George Best or Denis Law in that respect, who are both legends and have statues outside Old Trafford. Denis Law requested a transfer twice, went to City and scored a goal which could have relegated United, and George Best went AWOL and never came back. Regardless of him being a cunt, Rooney is a warrior on the pitch. I'd still rather he was sold abroad before he reaches legendary status though.

Edited by Joda Serk

Christ, that video is cringeworthy. I didn't know it existed. Some great quotes though.

"You are messing with people's lives"

"You don't know the history of this club"

"You are ruining a great football club"

How exactly?

A great reminder of why Liverpool fans are just terrible and laughable.

I was pretty gutted with the draw to be honest. Looking at the different teams in each pot we could have got and the ones we wanted to avoid we're far closer to the ones we'd want avoid.

Georgia away is the sort of match we've often struggled with and they're the second lowest ranked in the group so it's the sort of match we really need to win. The home matches let us down in the previous campaign particularly the first two. This group of players with Strachan

At the helm hopefully won't let that sort of thing happen but Germany, Poland and Ireland are all decent sides. Can we beat all three at home? On our day we've managed to beat some very good sides at Hampden but I can't see us taking anything from Germany, home or away. I'd like to think we can beat Poland and Ireland at home but both will be very tough games. Away to Poland will be very very difficult. Aside from the home form the two most important matches I think will be away to Ireland and away to Georgia. 6 points from Gibraltar obviously a must...

We have a chance of second in this group but we also have a chance of coming fourth. I'm sure it will be a massive fucking roller coaster as always. I just hope we do ourselves justic and are at least still in the running right til the end.

I'm just disappointed because I saw this campaign as our best to qualify for a tournament given the extra 8 teams etc but the draw hasn't been as kind as I hoped.

As a Scotland fan this qualifying phase should be exciting, as you said there is a realistic chance of automatic qualification, a play off spot and missing out.

However as a neutral football fan the jump to 24 teams really has created a pile of shit. The good teams that you want to watch will all stroll through to the finals. Platini talks about boosting interest in international football but this really is the wrong way of going about it. 

I only just noticed that Ireland were pot 2.  That's a decent draw from that pot to be fair.  For some reason I'd assumed it was Poland in pot 2.  Have Poland became quite shit?  I admit to not having seen much of them in the past couple of years actually.  Maybe not as bad as I thought on reflection.  Still think away to Poland will be the second toughest match of the group (away to Germany being the obvious toughest match).

EDIT:  Only just looked at the rest of the other groups too.  England have been pretty lucky and I'd far rather be in Wales or Northern Ireland's groups.  I'd say Belgium is the only real quality team across either of those groups.  In fact, pull England's group into the mix and you've only really got 2 good teams across 3 groups - Belgium and England.  Switzerland are nae bad, but fuck me, we've definitely landed in a shite of a group in comparison.

Edited by Gladstone

Poland have some really good players, but some bog standard average players filling the squad. I wouldnt rate them any better than Croatia were. The toughest one is going to be the Georgia game, because those are always our toughest games, when we are expected to do well. 

Really looking forward to the inevitable boring drawn out argument over where the home game against Ireland will be played.............. Hopefully they just pick Murryfield quickly and put it all to bed before it kicks off. 

Edited by The Milner

Poland have some really good players, but some bog standard average players filling the squad. I wouldnt rate them any better than Croatia were. The toughest one is going to be the Georgia game, because those are always our toughest games, when we are expected to do well. 

Really looking forward to the inevitable boring drawn out argument over where the home game against Ireland will be played.............. Hopefully they just pick Murryfield quickly and put it all to bed before it kicks off. 

I've probably missed something - why not Hampden?

The qualifiers don't start until later in the year.  Is Hampden still out of action for a while after the games?

EDIT:  here's the fixture list from BBC Sport:

Sunday 7 September: Germany v Scotland (19.45)

Saturday 11 October: Scotland v Georgia (17:00)

Tuesday 14 October: Poland v Scotland (19:45)

Friday 14 November: Scotland v Republic of Ireland (19.45)

Sunday 29 March 2015: Scotland v Gibraltar (17:00)

Saturday 13 June 2015: Republic of Ireland v Scotland (17:00)

Friday 4 September 2015: Georgia v Scotland (17:00)

Monday 7 September 2015: Scotland v Germany (19:45)

Thursday 8 October 2015: Scotland v Poland (19:45)

Sunday 11 October 2015: Gibraltar v Scotland (19:45)

Edited by Gladstone

Doubt Murryfield will be an option seeing as they are laying a mix real/artificial turf and the Autumn test will be around that time, unless they can play a team at Pittodrie that weekend.

Doubt Murryfield will be an option seeing as they are laying a mix real/artificial turf and the Autumn test will be around that time, unless they can play a team at Pittodrie that weekend.

Ah i didnt know that. So clearly we are going to have to go through this boring argument between the old firm fans then. 

I'd imagine Celtic Park is the better option, but you know how these things tend to go up here.