aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Something I learned yesterday which surprised me. After winning the Champions League in 1999 they only won one knockout match in the competition between then and the 2006/7 season. That's partly explained by a few of those years being when the format had two group stages and the first knock out round was the quarter finals. But still I'd forgotten how after finally reaching the top they seemed to slip significantly down the European ladder.

Remember when the Champions League had two group stages? What a fucking awful idea. 

I think it's been better the last few season than it was for a while. There's usually at least one exciting match to watch each match day. The strengthening of German and Italian teams over the last few years has meant there's more competitive teams in the groups than before, even if the number who can realistically go all the way is about the same.

In his prime I think he was a much better finisher than Cole. His career dipped earlier than it should have but his goals to games record is still not much worse than Cole's and he had that amazing midfield providing him with billions of opportunities. 

Edited by Paranoid Android

Le Tissier couldda been something if he had some ambition. He's praised for being loyal or whatever. I don't buy that. He could've played for a team in Europe, winning titles, but he just didn't want to. I read his book, and he seemed happy to just meander, and go into each season with no expectation on him or the club. He had the talent to play for a top club, but probably didn't have the mentality to have big expectations placed on him, or to deliver consistently.

Very talented. No guts.

Le Tissier couldda been something if he had some ambition. He's praised for being loyal or whatever. I don't buy that. He could've played for a team in Europe, winning titles, but he just didn't want to. I read his book, and he seemed happy to just meander, and go into each season with no expectation on him or the club. He had the talent to play for a top club, but probably didn't have the mentality to have big expectations placed on him, or to deliver consistently.

Very talented. No guts.

Agreed. Total waste. Is his book worth reading?

I think it's incredibly unfair to say that LeTissier was a coward or wasted his talent. By no means do I think that being a one team player is more respectable than not but I don't see a problem with him choosing to be one.

I think it's easy to forget footballers are real people too. I personally would be attracted to the idea of playing in different leagues and living in various cities but I can completely understand someone not wanting to move their whole life to somewhere else when they have a very good life already.

Also I don't think he lacked ambition completely he just didn't have the ambitions other people wanted him to have. It certainly doesn't diminish his own ability as a footballer. Definitely a premier league great. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Upvote 1

I think it's incredibly unfair to say that LeTissier was a coward or wasted his talent. By no means do I think that being a one team player is more respectable than not but I don't see a problem with him choosing to be one.

I think it's easy to forget footballers are real people too. I personally would be attracted to the idea of playing in different leagues and living in various cities but I can completely understand someone not wanting to move their whole life to somewhere else when they have a very good life already.

Also I don't think he lacked ambition completely he just didn't have the ambitions other people wanted him to have. It certainly doesn't diminish his own ability as a footballer. Definitely a premier league great. 

That's a decent point really. It's easy to think "why is so-and-so not packing up his life to Spain and playing for Barca?". Juan Mata's tweets and blog posts recently have sometimes been about how he couldn't find a house in Manchester and was living out of a hotel. It's the sort of stuff you don't really think about.

His lack of ambition seems to be pretty clear in his book though. He seemed happy to have seasons without expectation to win this and that, to score this amount of goals. He enjoyed the freedom of just playing and hoping for the best, rather than having the kind of targets that would be set by a club on a title tilt. I certainly do think he's a Premier League great in terms of talent, but I think he could have hit a level no English footballer has in a long time if he give himself a push in the right direction. Ability and mentality go hand in hand, and the latter was lacking, and he admits that himself.

It's all relative though. Why should Matt Le Tissier have pushed himself to a level his obvious talent could have reached?

Being blessed with the ability to do something you love for a living is great. If you're so good that you can choose to play in the top league in your country but do it for a team without the associated pressure of challenging for trophies or the ridiculous pressure placed on a player playing for England etc seems pretty great to me.

Yes, he could have pushed himself and played for one of the top teams in England or on the continent but there's never a guarantee that will work out and it brings with it all sorts of other stuff and dare I say it may take the enjoyment out of doing what he loved doing - just playing football for a living and scoring glorious goals for a club he loved.

"Brand Rooney" is a moneyspinner, even if he plays shite. Who knew a player with that mug would be one of the most marketable footballing assets on earth? Football is weird.

Still, he's already unfathomably rich. Allegedly Nike pay him just as much of a living as United do.

He's good, but he's not that good. If he was sold, he wouldn't really need to be replaced, as Mata and Kagawa can play there, but the reason they don't get to play there is because of Megabux Rooney.