aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Ok I was maybe a wee bit harsh on Robertson, though I would have thought it's still a bit soon for him to be in the full squad.  From amateur to Scotland squad in a year is very good going.  But I'm more baffled as to why Reynolds didn't get a call up when Alan Hutton hasn't kicked a ball in a first team for a year and Berra and Greer are extremely iffy.

If your good enough, your good enough. The big clubs are sniffing around him for a reason, and he has been very consistent for United. Like i say, left back is where we really struggle, our best option is right footed Phil Bardsley. Id have picked Robertson if we were playing FM, so that must make it a good decision.

Reynolds has a right to be annoyed tho, but if he keeps up his form it wont take long before he gets a chance, at least in the squad.

I think it's a real shame that Pep and Ibra didn't get on and that move didn't work out. It's often forgotten how well he performed in the first half of his season. He scored in something like 10 consecutive matches in la liga and was key in big matches too. He did give the team the other option Pep wanted. He scored this great goal to win his first clasico. A great cross in from deep from Alves which isn't exactly the typical Barca move.

He also scored two goals in the champions league match at the Emirates. Barca played some of the best football they ever have in the opening half hour but hadn't actually got the ball in the back of the net, then a more direct approach resulted in two goals from Ibra. It really was personal issues that led to his failure at the club and not any inability to fit into the team. It was really sad to see when by the time of their exit from europe against Inter Zlatan wasn't even trying. Valdes covered more ground than him in one if not both of the legs. 

Zlatan was excellent when he first joined. I remember that Clasico goal well too. From reading his book, some of which may be bullshit, he seems to suggest that Messi had alot to do with that rocky relationship as well. Zlatan reckons Messi went to Guardiola and said "I don't want to play on the wing. I'm a striker", so the team shifted to a shape which didn't suit Zlatan, to occupy Messi. Guardiola wanted Zlatan to press and chase, which he didn't want to do, which probably further suggests he wasn't the right player for Barca and the way they play. Guardiola comes off pretty bad in it, but it could just be Zlatan speaking shite. Guardiola allegedly just ignored him for the 2nd half of that season, and also Thierry Henry. Zlatan says he and Henry had a running joke about who has gone the longest without speaking to Guardiola. I'd be interested to hear Guardiola's side of the story.

Lee Miller was ace for Aberdeen.

As for this young utd lad in the squad. That's what Strachan should be using these friendly games for, to give the youngsters a run out and get them some international experience. What's the point in playing players in their 30s when they are most likely going to be retired by the time the next tournament comes along? None.

Fuck the national team, I hope they get pumped.

Zlatan was excellent when he first joined. I remember that Clasico goal well too. From reading his book, some of which may be bullshit, he seems to suggest that Messi had alot to do with that rocky relationship as well. Zlatan reckons Messi went to Guardiola and said "I don't want to play on the wing. I'm a striker", so the team shifted to a shape which didn't suit Zlatan, to occupy Messi. Guardiola wanted Zlatan to press and chase, which he didn't want to do, which probably further suggests he wasn't the right player for Barca and the way they play. Guardiola comes off pretty bad in it, but it could just be Zlatan speaking shite. Guardiola allegedly just ignored him for the 2nd half of that season, and also Thierry Henry. Zlatan says he and Henry had a running joke about who has gone the longest without speaking to Guardiola. I'd be interested to hear Guardiola's side of the story.

I'd certainly be interested in knowing what really happened too. Henry's version of events would be interesting. He was excellent in Guardiola's first season but I always thought it was just a case of age catching up with him the year after and pep preferring other players. I'd never hear of there being other issues between the two. The messi thing is plausible but it seems just as likely that's the story Zlatan settled on afterward once Messi had moved into the middle permanently once he left.

That Bergkamp video is brilliant.  The finesse he possessed was unbelievable.

It's weird but I don't really remember the "assists" part of his game - he "threads the needle" like no other I've seen for a long time in those clips though.  I remember his goals though.  Some of his lobs are just ridiculous.  Not many smashes into the top corner - it's all about precision.  Beautiful.

As for the Scotland squad.  I'd rather have Reynolds in my back four than Grant Hanley.  On current form, Barry Robson could probably be in with a shout.  We massively missed Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher in the middle of the park when they were both out.  Robson could fill a Scott Brown shaped hole better than anyone else in the country right now I think.  I know Scott Brown is in this squad, but there's nobody else really like him in the current set-up.  We can sometimes get over-run in midfield without him in there.

Really good to see D. Fletcher back in a Scotland squad - I hope he can get back to his best or at least something close to it.  He's barely played this season though has he?

EDIT:  I've been hugely unimpressed with James Forrest for about two years now too.  I can't remember the last time I saw him do much of anything.  And he's got no neck.

Barry Bannan's another one - the early potential he showed was great, but he seems to have fallen away somewhat.

Edited by Gladstone
  • Upvote 1

Really good to see D. Fletcher back in a Scotland squad - I hope he can get back to his best or at least something close to it.  He's barely played this season though has he?

He's played 9 games this season, which isn't too bad, considering he only returned from over 2 years out in mid-December. Unfortunately, he's not looked too sharp yet. His passing has been as good as ever, but he looks to have lost a bit of quickness. He's been caught dithering a few times. A bit harsh to criticise him for it though, considering what he's been though. Hopefully he can get back to his best, or close to it.

He's played 9 games this season, which isn't too bad, considering he only returned from over 2 years out in mid-December. Unfortunately, he's not looked too sharp yet. His passing has been as good as ever, but he looks to have lost a bit of quickness. He's been caught dithering a few times. A bit harsh to criticise him for it though, considering what he's been though. Hopefully he can get back to his best, or close to it.

I hadn't realised that - every single time I've seen Man Utd this season, Darren Fletcher has not been on the pitch.  I assumed he hadn't been getting much game time.  9 games isn't too shabby - has be been playing for long spells in each of those games or brief appearances?

Either way - I want to see him play and get back to fitness.  He's a fantastic player for Scotland and always good to have someone of his experience in the squad.

I hadn't realised that - every single time I've seen Man Utd this season, Darren Fletcher has not been on the pitch.  I assumed he hadn't been getting much game time.  9 games isn't too shabby - has be been playing for long spells in each of those games or brief appearances?

Either way - I want to see him play and get back to fitness.  He's a fantastic player for Scotland and always good to have someone of his experience in the squad.

He's played a couple of full 90s, and a few sub appearances, and has come off around the hour mark. A mixed bag. He's played half a dozen games or so for the reserves as well. A lower level, but he's had a fair bit of football. Might not see the best of him this season, but hopefully a good pre-season in the summer will get him back to 100%

Lee Miller had one good spell for about 8 games or so, and that was it. He fell down a lot too.

Szczesny just gave away a stupid pen. I don't even think he was aiming for anything, just slid across.

Thankfully, no one in the Emirates knows how to take pens. Maybe Barry Robson should show them.

Edited by Camie

Really hope Arsenal come out all guns blazing and spank Bayern tonight. Not gonna happen though obvs.

They did come out all guns blazing surprisingly, but Ozil's brainfart will be costly. Fucking garbage penalty. Who takes penalties like that? Dickhead penalty. Germans don't take penalties like that. Tried to be all Pirlo, but it went a bit Berbatov.

I like how Robben is getting CRUSHED by boos, for getting fouled. Sczcezny took him right out.

• Upvote 1

That Bergkamp video is brilliant.  The finesse he possessed was unbelievable.

It's weird but I don't really remember the "assists" part of his game - he "threads the needle" like no other I've seen for a long time in those clips though.  I remember his goals though.  Some of his lobs are just ridiculous.  Not many smashes into the top corner - it's all about precision.  Beautiful.

There's a fantastic interview with him in the first issue of the Blizzard which I have been reading (and enjoying immensely). In it he talks about how by the end of his career he was getting as much if not more satisfaction from those through ball assists than scoring himself.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone ever watch full matches for a second time? I was looking for highlights of a match earlier and could only find the full match on youtube and I've noticed a few times that this is not unusual. I find it hard though to imagine that many people wanting to re-watch a whole game. I have done it once, the Germany - Italy world cup semi from 06. It is easily one of my favourite matches ever but even then I wasn't planning to give the whole thing a second go, I stumbled across the video and just kind of left it on while doing other things.