aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Arsenal did trigger a buyout clause for Suarez in the summer but Liverpool decided "contracts don't seem to mean much in... football" and just refused to sell:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26414167

It must be an incorrectly worded statement by Henry himself.  The contract was inspected by the PFA lawyers when the bid was made and they agreed that they didn't have to sell.  Thus Suarez having his please let me leave interview with a paper etc.

Does prove why the weird bid was made, wasn't just Arsenal taking the piss.

I would have put Gibbs ahead of Shaw at the moment surely?

Tough one, that. I like Gibbs, even though his ankles seem to be made of glass. As a defender, I'm not convinced on him. He's a great attacker, but even at his age, I think Shaw is a much more solid defender. Good going forward too. He's the closest thing to Leighton Baines available, and I think he has a bit more about him physically too. He's quite the brute for an 18 year old.

• Upvote 1

Again, the hand ball is one of those you do see given, but i always think they are harshly given. There isnt much Reynolds can do to get out of the way, but does that stop it being hand ball?

Still great to see Lennon spit his dummy out, this is turning out to be a bit of a damp squid season for him, out of Europe early, out of both cups early and they have nothing to play for now, he has achieved the bare minimum this season, you have to wonder if that will be enough for him to be around next year.

Was this intentional? Either way, I liked it.

Puyol's leaving Barca at the end of the season, not entirely surprising but a shame. Sounds like he's going to retire or maybe get a nice final pay day in dubai or something. He'll be missed, Barca have never really properly dealt with not having him fit. He affects the whole team, excellent captain.

Also 100 days to the world cup!! I watched this at the weekend.

http://youtu.be/A4UT_kEGZH8

Brilliant video, all the goals in good quality with commentary (no shitty music) and no unnecessary replays. I wish a video this good existed for every tournament.

• Upvote 2

A world cup that good would be very very nice to have this summer.

One thing that caught my attention when watching the video was just how many amazing players Italy had. Look at their squad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Italy 

It's just amazing, 90s football heaven. 3 all time great keepers, an incredible defence and just look at those five forwards. The midfield wasn't quite on the same level but it's still great. I'd probably argue that they and Holland had the best teams in the tournament, both were unlucky to go out on pens. 

Edited by Paranoid Android

A world cup that good would be very very nice to have this summer.

One thing that caught my attention when watching the video was just how many amazing players Italy had. Look at their squad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Italy 

It's just amazing, 90s football heaven. 3 all time great keepers, an incredible defence and just look at those five forwards. The midfield wasn't quite on the same level but it's still great. I'd probably argue that they and Holland had the best teams in the tournament, both were unlucky to go out on pens. 

That Italy squad is indeed immense. All in their late 20s prime too.

Also, interestingly (or not) Japan, England, Spain and Saudi Arabia are the only countries whose entire squad plays for native clubs. I don't know what that really says but going on the fact that none of those teams did very well probably suggests players should think about moving away from home at some point in their career.

That Italy squad is indeed immense. All in their late 20s prime too.

Also, interestingly (or not) Japan, England, Spain and Saudi Arabia are the only countries whose entire squad plays for native clubs. I don't know what that really says but going on the fact that none of those teams did very well probably suggests players should think about moving away from home at some point in their career.

Thing with English players is, there isnt much of an up from the Premier league. Its arguable the spanish and german leagues are poorer, and they will certainly get paid much less to move, not unless its someone like Beckham or Owen who were at the top of their game when they moved. 

Thing with English players is, there isnt much of an up from the Premier league. Its arguable the spanish and german leagues are poorer, and they will certainly get paid much less to move, not unless its someone like Beckham or Owen who were at the top of their game when they moved. 

This is true and I'm sure it is the reason why most English players probably wouldn't move abroad unless they get an offer from Barca/Madrid/Bayern etc. However I do think it's a shame that this is the case. I can accept that some people may just not fancy living out of England but I think that facing the challenges of adapting to life and playing in another country with a different culture can be hugely beneficial to a player (and as a person). I think more should do it than does happen. 

Another issue is that English players are overvalued. 6th/7th placed teams in Germany or Spain aren't going to pay the prices that would be asked for English players at that level.