aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I thought Arsenal played well. It was clear Bayern were going to boss possession, but Arsenal coped well mostly. The goal was a total brainfart by the Arsenal midfield though. Schweinsteiger just strolled to the box unmarked as a couple of Arsenal midfielders looked on. Poor.

I think Bayern had another couple of gears they could have shifted up to if they needed. Every time I've watched them this season, they look like they are walking through games, playing to about 50% of capacity.

Podolski's goal was mint. Neuer looked like he'd shit his shorts as Podolski blasted the ball at him. Looked like a foul on Lahm in the build up I thought.

Arsenal did ok last night, but Bayern are like Barca of a few years ago, their pressing in the first half was incredible, its ment Arsenal, one of Englands best passing teams, couldnt get out of their own half. The Ox clearly was making full use of his PPM "likes to run with ball" and he was about their best bet at breaking through the Bayern defense. 

I dont think City will do it tonight, they are just far too naive in Europe at the mo. 

I think City have a chance. It's minor, but they have it in them to score 3, so long as Aguero and Negredo are at 100%, and Dzeko is really far away from the pitch, or left behind in England. He is the Anti-goal.

Hopefully it will be a better game than last night. Bayern played a strange game last night. They controlled it, but they seemed to play quite a direct game, giving the ball to Lahm or Alaba and crossing it in. They looked like they didn't want to over-commit in the middle, so when Arsenal did get the ball, they were never really caught out. I don't think Barca will play the same way. They might slow the game down, but I think they are more suspect to being caught on the counter as the movement of their players is much more fluid.

Hopefully City just go at them and score an early goal to make it a good game.

Arsenal did fine I thought, clearly outplayed over the two legs by the best team in Europe but not humiliating in any way.  Remember what this team did to Barca last year.

First leg is where it went so wrong, if Ozil had scored that penalty it might have actually been interesting.  Still a draw at Bayern with Ramsey, Wallcott, both LBs and Ozil (at half time) injured it has to breed some confidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26543691

Bayern are being investigated for a couple of their banners at the Allianz, one relating to Kosovo, and one relating to Arsenal.

Apparently, the Arsenal banner said "Gay Gunners" and had a picture of Ozil on it, though that came from Twitter. The BBC report doesn't say what it said.

Gay Gunners  :laughing:

It is quite clearly (while also terrible and down with this sort of thing etc) one of the best football banners of all time.

City were outclassed tonight. Some people seem to be praising their performance, saying they did well to contain Barca but City should be aiming for much more than that. They were trailing and needed to be on the offensive. They are a few steps away from winning this thing. 

I feel sorry for Bendtner, he's clearly got talent and has been treated pretty terribly at Arsenal.

I understand that he doesn't help himself with incidents like the above, but still - other footballers have done much worse and are still treated with respect.

There was a massive buzz about him when he was on loan at Birmingham and had terrible hair like Legolas from the LotR movies. I thought he was going to be amazing. Football Manager 2007 agreed.

I dont feel sorry for him, he has been given an incredible amount of time to actually fill his promise, at 26 he is not a kid anymore. Arsenal would be better off getting rid finally if someone will take him.

City were pish last night, game should have been over in the first 10 minutes, Lescott could have gone and Barca should have had a pen. English clubs are a long way off being good enough right now. Chelsea might be the exception, but i dont think they have enough to go much further. 

Ive had an entirely illogical soft spot for man city these past few seasons so was a bit disappointed to see them go out but you're right... a long way off being an elite team.

Real are my current luxury team I think. I just love seeing bale and ronaldo play. I think them and bayern would spank the barca team thats playing right now.

Milner, he may have been given time, but has he been given opportunity at Arsenal to really make anything of his promise? He wanted to leave this summer to start fresh but Wenger forced him to stay because he didn't manage to sign another striker. Now it seems Sanogo is ahead of NB in the queue, so what was the point?

While we're on Arsenal, Wenger really pisses me off. He should have just gone out in January and bought another striker and a central midfield player. Okay, they may have been Champs League cup-tied but fucking hell, why not just take a chance, spend some money and give themselves a real chance of winning the league? Their squad depth is fucking them over and he only has himself to blame.

There is a time when you have to gamble, and a couple of decent signings would have led to a three-horse race which Arsenal would have been part of IMO. Now it's down to two and Arsenal are once again going to see top four as a success.