aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I actually have really fond memories of that season. Partly just because of how ridiculous it was I think. A lot of it has to do with age, that was during the period when I was probably the most dons and football obsessed I ever have been. But there were some great moments to remember that season.

I'll never forget the bizarre experience of listening to us get our first win in the 6-5 match away to Motherwell. I couldn't wait to the next morning to read all the reports in the morning paper and get every detail. 

It might sound like a bad state of affairs to have Andy Dow be the star player but he somehow was incredible that season. He just kept coming up with fantastic goals. His confidence clearly just sky rocketed and he rode the wave as long as he could. I remember he scored a really great one in a 1-1 draw away to Saint Johnston. However his most important goal (aside from the semi final one mentioned) has to be the extra time winner against the huns in one of the early rounds of the league cup. It must have been only October or something, maybe November but we were definitely not in a good period of the season. I couldn't believe it when we won that match. The fact we had had so little to cheer all season made it extra special. Great scenes outside the ground after the match. Another great moment from that match was Belabed, in the final minutes after we'd scored, doing keepy ups while they were waiting to take a free kick. McCann pretty much put him in a headlock to get him off the ball. Probably the best thing Rachid ever did in a dons shirt sadly. 

Speaking of Moroccans. No signing has ever got me as excited as Zerouali, I loved him as soon as he came on in his debut and turned the match around by creating two goals. Think it was against hearts and we were down 1-0. Even though we were at the bottom of the league I suddenly felt like we had the best player in the country and everything was going to be alright. I was baffled when he was left on the bench for the Scottish Cup final. We beat Killie 5-1 in a game late on in the season which he scored a goal that (at least in the way I remember it in my head) was almost as good as Van Basten's in 88. 

I feel like I've rambled quite a bit, in conclusion. Sack McInnes, get Ebbe back.

Remember Zero's goal from out wide?  I think it was a free-kick at Pittodrie out beside the where the tunnel comes onto the pitch.  I don't even think anyone else knew he was taking the free-kick.  (My memory may not be 100% accurate, but this is how I remember it:)  Someone else placed the ball and Zero just ran from nowhere and smashed it from a ridiculous angle into the top corner.  I don't think anyone else on the pitch moved.  I'm going to see if I can find it on youtube...

EDIT:  Okay - not quite as I remember it - my memory made it a bit better than this - I think this is it - still a cracker...

Edited by Gladstone

I think that free kick might have been his first goal for us. The commentator on the video mentions him changing the game against Motherwell on the Wednesday night before. I think that was his debut and I was wrong about it being against Hearts. 2 assists on his debut then his first goal in his second match. Or maybe my memory is all messed up.

Another great zero moment, the puddle celebration.

http://youtu.be/rCN5vbyAkF8?t=2m18s

Edited by Paranoid Android

Pretty wild day of football. The Chelsea/Spurs game was chaos. Eto'os celebration was great. The red card didn't look like a red to me, but it obliterated the game as a contest. United won, and also played good, which is weird. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling finally played a game in their actual positions, and played great. Phil Jones scored a goal, because he's the fucking best. RvP could've been sent off for a second yellow. Slow-mo showed that he got a nick on the ball before the collision, but no way the ref saw that. Everton got cunted by Arsenal, which I didn't see coming. I thought Arsenal might be prepping themselves for a mighty comeback against Bayern and would play a second string. Fair play. Ozil was ace.

Bohemians beat UCD very comfortably 3-0 away from home. What a strange place for a football match. UCD is the football team of one of Dublins universities, all their players are full time students on scholarships and they play on the uni sports complex, on-campus in amongst libraries and science labs and stuff. Lovely wee stadium actually, very modern though only has one stand and the tea was shit. A bumper crowd of 900 last night, which is actually high.

Sounds like a pre-season match. This was a Premier League match. Irish football is loltastic.

http://www.givemesport.com/439410-vietnamese-player-banned-for-28-games-after-xrated-horror-tackle?tg=/premier-league

28 game ban for a two footer.

I like how he pretends he's injured once he realises he's going to get sent off.

bi? ga?y x??ng, eh? nasty.

Also watched most of the United-Caley game, but it was 2-0 already when I tuned in. Definitely think Aberdeen are going to win the other cup.