aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

While we're on Arsenal, Wenger really pisses me off. He should have just gone out in January and bought another striker and a central midfield player. Okay, they may have been Champs League cup-tied but fucking hell, why not just take a chance, spend some money and give themselves a real chance of winning the league? Their squad depth is fucking them over and he only has himself to blame.

There is a time when you have to gamble, and a couple of decent signings would have led to a three-horse race which Arsenal would have been part of IMO. Now it's down to two and Arsenal are once again going to see top four as a success.

Totally agree as soon as we didn't get a striker in the window the league was gone.  I don't think midfield was as desperate but injuries has made it so now.

I still think Kallstrom is going to score the goal that wins the FA Cup or something like that.  It will be hilarious.

Fuck me, I forgot about Kallstrom. Good signing on paper, but Christ - Arsenal and their injuries (current top of the injury table with nine first team injuries).

It's okay though, Abou "like a new signing" Diaby is due back for his beasting two-games a season, probably in time to be called up to France's WC squad and get another cruciate injury. Still a year to go on his contract, too. :up:

You sign a top class player to join a top class squad though. If they signed a Bender Bro or, fuck, I dunno who was available (but I don't have a global scouting network), someone else then they at least provide a bit of depth to the squad.

At the moment they get an injury to Wilshere, Ramsey and Arteta and they're forced to play Oxlade-Chamberlain at CM (to be fair, he's done not badly there).

Ive had an entirely illogical soft spot for man city these past few seasons so was a bit disappointed to see them go out but you're right... a long way off being an elite team.

Real are my current luxury team I think. I just love seeing bale and ronaldo play. I think them and bayern would spank the barca team thats playing right now.

Bayern and Real are clearly ahead of the rest at the moment. I hope they are kept apart in the draw for the next round as even though I'd hate to see Madrid win it, they would make a great final.

He has a well publicised release clause so they could have triggered it to at least speak to him. 

Its not as simple as that im afraid. Release clauses in Spain dont work like they do here. Even if Arsenal had matched the release clause, there is no guarantee they would have sold him for that price. 

Plus there's no way Costa would have moved.

Aye I think thats the most important thing. In order to get the transfer pushed through he would have really wanted to move in the first place, and even then it could have cost Arsenal the same money that Bale cost in the end, which lets be fair, Costa is just not worth at the moment and i really dont think he would have pushed the move through at all. 

I personally think its too easy to just say "Arsenal should have signed a striker and midfielder" when the reality is there might not have been anyone good enough, who was available in January. Thats not to say they couldnt have done it in the summer and its not to say Arsenals transfer windows in recent times havent been a bit of a nightmare for them, but im guess they have been tied financially and have just not been able to compete with the crazy money the likes of City, Real, Bayern, PSG, Chelsea, United and now Monaco have been able to throw around. Competing against 7/8 clubs who can offer CL football and far more money is not an easy task.

Edited by The Milner

The problem at the moment is the media frenzy around Arsenal any time anything goes wrong.  

Look at midweek Arsenal were declared as going out in embarrassing fashion "again" by some of the media and a paper today declared City as Heroic.  Heroicly going out to the team that got spanked 7-0 by the team Arsenal got embarrassed by at a better aggregate score.

Even potentially winning a trophy doesn't seem to be enough now.  After years of media like talksport saying Arsenal have to win some actual silverware earlier this week talksportDrive was saying that Wenger needed to do more this year than just win the FA Cup and qualify for CL.  There really is no winning just now for Arsenal.

Granted talksport are morons that shouldn't be listened too but it does create this public image of Arsenal being failures when really recent seasons haven't been that bad considering what has been spent by the club in comparison to the budgets of others around them.

The problem at the moment is the media frenzy around Arsenal any time anything goes wrong.  

Look at midweek Arsenal were declared as going out in embarrassing fashion "again" by some of the media and a paper today declared City as Heroic.  Heroicly going out to the team that got spanked 7-0 by the team Arsenal got embarrassed by at a better aggregate score.

Even potentially winning a trophy doesn't seem to be enough now.  After years of media like talksport saying Arsenal have to win some actual silverware earlier this week talksportDrive was saying that Wenger needed to do more this year than just win the FA Cup and qualify for CL.  There really is no winning just now for Arsenal.

Granted talksport are morons that shouldn't be listened too but it does create this public image of Arsenal being failures when really recent seasons haven't been that bad considering what has been spent by the club in comparison to the budgets of others around them.

Yeah that fanny that writes for the Telegraph has really been sticking the boot in, im pretty sure he is the one your talking about. City went down with a brave fight, Arsenal apparently disgraced yet again, yet Bayern put 7 past Barcelona last year and then won the cup, whereas this is the poorest Barca side in 5 years. 

Wenger cannot win with those guys. 

I think City did okay last night. Outclassed, but they went at them and rode their luck in the first half, after being relieved of conceding a penalty and a goal. They lacked a focal point upfront with Aguero operating at about 25% but they defended well. Kompany was outstanding, and Yaya Toure was unfortunate to constantly be penalised for being bigger and stronger than Barca. City should have had a penalty themselves as well.

It's a shame Aguero wasn't fully fit. I would have liked to have seen him have a good go at Barca's defence, which is all that solid.

I still didn't want them to win, but they did better than I thought they would. I expected them to push on too high and get twatted on the counter every time.