aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Anybody else in the city centre use BT Broadband and having issues?

Mine has been bollocks for months. Constantly on and off. Their technical help folk take the piss. "Do you know you can reset the router?"... Fascinating. They can only help troubleshoot the problem if the Broadband light on the hub is flashing orange instead of solid blue, so since mine is connecting and disconnecting every 5 minutes, there's nothing they can do. Just keep telling me to phone back when it's flashing orange. Just seems to turn back to blue as I get through to someone.

Fuck BT. They're not cheap either, and I don't even have unlimited. I only get 40gb for £35 a month including line rental. That seems a bit crazy to me. Think I might check Sky out.

Anybody else in the city centre use BT Broadband and having issues?

Mine has been bollocks for months. Constantly on and off. Their technical help folk take the piss. "Do you know you can reset the router?"... Fascinating. They can only help troubleshoot the problem if the Broadband light on the hub is flashing orange instead of solid blue, so since mine is connecting and disconnecting every 5 minutes, there's nothing they can do. Just keep telling me to phone back when it's flashing orange. Just seems to turn back to blue as I get through to someone.

Fuck BT. They're not cheap either, and I don't even have unlimited. I only get 40gb for £35 a month including line rental. That seems a bit crazy to me. Think I might check Sky out.

If you take the front panel off the BT socket, and plug the fliter and router into the test socket.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

If it carries on happening after 24 hours, phone them saying you have tested the master socket and ask if they can change your profile. also use a constant ping for a few hours while your computer is on to something like google, copy the results and let them know what the speeds your getting.

I did read they were sorting out the Infinity broadband up here a few weeks ago. Don't know if that's got anything to do with it. I've phoned BT loads of the past few days, and nobody points to that as being the reason. I just keep getting told to reset the router. Customer service at large.

They have definitely been upgrading the city centre exchange. I signed up for Infinity Option 2 the first day they started taking orders and we've got an engineer coming next week. You'd think they'd have told you if that was the case though, easier to wriggle out of providing crap service if they can claim to be upgrading. Hope that was the problem and I'm not just signing up for hassle. Going from under 8Mb download to 52.5Mb and 13.2Mb upload belongs on the ace-ic thread though.

What is the common/accepted protocol for letting a company know that you are going to seriously consider their job offer while waiting to hear back from another interview?

I got good news back from my first ever interview today (interview was on Wednesday) but I had an interview for somewhere else today and they are going to be in touch on Thursday. Is there a best way to say that I am definitely interested but just await contact from elsewhere? Similarly, what is the best approach if I do make the decision to go to place 1 and then place 2 phone and offer me something on Thursday?

• Upvote 1

What is the common/accepted protocol for letting a company know that you are going to seriously consider their job offer while waiting to hear back from another interview?

I got good news back from my first ever interview today (interview was on Wednesday) but I had an interview for somewhere else today and they are going to be in touch on Thursday. Is there a best way to say that I am definitely interested but just await contact from elsewhere? Similarly, what is the best approach if I do make the decision to go to place 1 and then place 2 phone and offer me something on Thursday?

That's a difficult one! Personally I would say i was interested in 1 but then if 2 came back and said i got the job then go there. i would feel guilty but at the end of the day it's your life and they will get the position filled. Is 2 the better job or more money? Well done though man. So proud :kiss:

• Upvote 1

That's a difficult one! Personally I would say i was interested in 1 but then if 2 came back and said i got the job then go there. i would feel guilty but at the end of the day it's your life and they will get the position filled. Is 2 the better job or more money? Well done though man. So proud :kiss:

I think that the one I've already been offered will be the higher paid. They have put a figure down already. Place 2 didn't specify but asked me my expectations and I don't think - for the particular position - they would offer as much as place 1. The jobs would be a bit different. 1 would probably be more my thing and I think I am inclined to go with it, but I was just that bit unsure as it isn't a position I've been in before to make the decision!

Only rubbish thing is the lovely flowing locks have to go for job 1 but not job 2 :(:laughing: Kind of expected that though!

Tell the first place that you accept pending issue of their employment contract. It should take a few days for that to be posted out to you which will buy you time. Nothing's set in stone until you sign the contract (and even then it's not really set in stone anyway). It's pretty common place for people to accept a job offer and then get back a week later and say 'thanks but no thanks'.

Don't say 'I'm seriously considering your offer' because they'll take that as exactly what it is (waiting to hear from another place) and may withdraw their offer completely.

• Upvote 2

Tell the first place that you accept pending issue of their employment contract. It should take a few days for that to be posted out to you which will buy you time. Nothing's set in stone until you sign the contract (and even then it's not really set in stone anyway). It's pretty common place for people to accept a job offer and then get back a week later and say 'thanks but no thanks'.

Don't say 'I'm seriously considering your offer' because they'll take that as exactly what it is (waiting to hear from another place) and may withdraw their offer completely.

It was a phone conversation regarding the offer. I asked for an email to be sent out with their offer so that I can quickly mull it over (didn't know what to say!) and give them a call back. Just awaiting the email coming through.

That first line you put there sounds ideal though, I shall do that if I require.

Thanks Adam :up:

Can anyone recommend some things to do/places to eat on an evening in Stavanger?

I've been here 6 times since February and i still haven't ventured further from my hotel in the evenings. Has anyone been to Stavanger that knows some cool places to eat/drink. Im on my own so im going to be nobby no mates regardless of what i do!

Can anyone recommend some things to do/places to eat on an evening in Stavanger?

I've been here 6 times since February and i still haven't ventured further from my hotel in the evenings. Has anyone been to Stavanger that knows some cool places to eat/drink. Im on my own so im going to be nobby no mates regardless of what i do!

*Ahem* I think I'm understanding you here. Wink wink.

• Upvote 1

Cardinal Pub & Bar

29 reviews

Skagen 21

4006 Stavanger, Norway

982 04 200

http://www.cardinal.no/

• Upvote 1

There are lots of good places to eat in Stavanger go out and have a look... There is a nice bar on the waterfront where I did a gig once... not in the main harbour bit but up close to some Museum. We got good grub there.

Did you know that Norwegians eat more pizza per head of population than any other nations? The Pizza place in Stavanger called Peppes ? is a chain in Norway and usually very good. Try and take a boat trip up the Fjords amazing !

The oil museum is nice to look at. I think you have to pay to actually get in but outside there is some pretty stunning graffiti on the things outside (not being facetious here, honest) that I got lots of photos of while I was there!

Tonight I am venturing to a bar called NB Sorensen or something equally Norwegian. I like beer but won't drink any more than two pints over here as paying £13 a go doesn't make me a happy drunk.

Aye, everything in Stavanger is fucking expensive. No idea why.