aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Can someone explain equity to me?

This is maybe not a quick question, but wondering if there are any financial experts on the board. I got offered equity in my company but I have little to no understanding of what that entails. I mean, I get the jist - i 'own' a tiny percentage of the company so if they get bought over or file an IPO I can cash in in some way but other than that i'm pretty clueless.

I'm no expert but I understand equity as the increased value of something. To borrow against the equity in your house means to take a loan out with the collateral being the increase in price from when you took a mortage out initially until the time of the equity loan. I'd imagine your situation would mean if the equity, the value,of your company increases, in return for your investment you receive a percentage of the increase in value of said company. Hope this helps!

Equity trading means the buying and sellong of shares in your company. Assuming that they're publicly traded shares, it sounds like they're giving you the opportunity to buy shares. A lot of companies do it via sharesave schemes or buy-as-you-earn schemes. Basically you get the chance to buy shares in the company (the idea being that when people own a share in their company, however small, the incentive is there to make the company succeed).

What's the company?

From the sounds of what ca_gere is saying, the company doesn't appear to have public traded shares. As he mentioned if they go for IPO he can cash in and get shares.

I don't know if this is an under the table way for the company to make some money, without having to go to the banks who would require repayments.

If he isn't getting anything in return for his investment, I wouldn't recomend it - as if the company goes bust you can bet he is going to be the last one to be repayed by the creditors, as they go for the companies owed the most first.

If he isn't getting anything in return for his investment, I wouldn't recomend it - as if the company goes bust you can bet he is going to be the last one to be repayed by the creditors, as they go for the companies owed the most first.

Repayment of creditors isn't about who's owed the most, there's a prescribed order of repayment which has tp be met.

Repayment of creditors isn't about who's owed the most, there's a prescribed order of repayment which has tp be met.

The insolvancy act was updated in 2003, making it more simple. The priorities are : Secured Creditors, Preferential Creditors, Banks, Unsecured Creditors. I would imagine he would be an unsecured creditor, and that would put him at the bottom of the chart right after banks. He may be a preferential creditor, but he would have to see what the terms and conditions of the investment is.

Now this is a moot point if the company doesn't go into administration. But the judgement has to be made on what the chances of that happening are. But because the company isn't publicly traded they don't have to make their accounts public, so you can't really delve into them to see what the fixed assets are and all that accountancy jazz.

He might have the investment taken off his wage before tax, which would help the companys tax bills. It would also help ca-gere, as it ultimatly reduces how much tax he would pay. As he is getting this investment "free" of tax (so to speak).

Can someone explain equity to me?

This is maybe not a quick question, but wondering if there are any financial experts on the board. I got offered equity in my company but I have little to no understanding of what that entails. I mean, I get the jist - i 'own' a tiny percentage of the company so if they get bought over or file an IPO I can cash in in some way but other than that i'm pretty clueless.

You should get a return on your investment whether your company is publicly traded or not. If they file an IPO then the normal scenario is that they get a boost in revenue which should, in an ideal world, provide you with increased dividends. It's the same with Facebook and explains how so many of their employees became millionaires after it floated.

Thanks guys. I'm wondering what happens if I leave the company (do I still have the equity? Is that normally a contract thing?) and also whether it's mine to 'sell'. I don't have any info about it at the moment but my boss acted like it was a really good thing. Me being sceptical about anything wanted to try find out a bit more - is it normally pretty meaningless and just a ploy to get u to stay at the company? Or is it a decent benefit? Etc.

not really i've ordered shit from printing companies before and they use this really cheap polyester stuff for their hoodys, its see through (despit being black) and bobbles after like 2 washes.

t-shirts suck because i'm small.

in primark they have tee's that fit me perfectly!

anyhoo i digress does anyone actually know if printing companies allow this? like to supply your own garment then they just do the printing?