aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

I love spicy food, what makes other people more tolerant to spicy food than others. If I get the "fire in my mouth feeling" then all enjoyment is taken out of eating.

I made a curry the other night, always putting in fresh red chillis wi seeds and hot cayenne pepper, they are spicy but i've never had to down heaps of fluid to extinguish my mouth

For those who saw my post about very spicy food challenges , I found a jar of this in my cupboard

bhut%20jolokia%20Lge.png

Made with bhut jolokia/ghost chilli which was the hottest chili in the world until last year (it appears chillis are like beer, they just keep making em stronger to outdo each other!). It better not disappoint! "this fiery curry made using one of the hottest chillies in the world, the Bhut Jolokia. The Bhut Jolokia chilli is 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce, so is great for those that like their curry HOT!" The reviews actually state it needs fresh chillies to make it hotter but those may just be total spice fiends.

Now to find someone willing to join the macho crusade of errrr..... sweating and hyperventilating,

Nice!

When we were in Austin earlier this year, we went to this place: http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/

and I tried a load of ghost pepper sauces, followed by this: http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html

7.1 million scoville units. I like really, really spicy food, but this stuff was mental. I didn't think I'd actually got any off the toothpick the first time, so went back for more... it turned out to be a slow burner. I then just about managed to cough and splutter my way round the corner to the nearest bar with my eyes streaming and order a cold beer. I'm sure it was all incredibly attractive and glamorous. I'd have loved to have taken some back, but it was hella expensive and I was concerned about either of the following happening:

-spilling it whilst cooking and the cat sticking his face in it

-someone getting brave at a party and having to take a trip to A&E/the morgue.

It would have been most ace-ic though, just one drop is enough to add more than enough heat to a big pot of chilli. Would have saved a lot of chopping! Settled for some tequila lime hot sauce and chipotle seasoning instead, which are both still pretty delicious.

If you do the cooking i will provide the beers (sounds like we'll need them...).

Provide as much as you want but you will be drinking it ;) The chilli thing is becoming increasingly a good idea! I made 23 litres of strawberry cider for xmas and still have about half of it left in the keg. They say it lasts for 6 months and that time will come at the end of june so it needs drunk soon! Need to go check it is still fine to drink but had some a couple of weeks back and it was still ok. After that can get brewing the elderflower cider!

Nice!

When we were in Austin earlier this year, we went to this place: http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/

and I tried a load of ghost pepper sauces, followed by this: http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html

7.1 million scoville units. I like really, really spicy food, but this stuff was mental. I didn't think I'd actually got any off the toothpick the first time, so went back for more... it turned out to be a slow burner. I then just about managed to cough and splutter my way round the corner to the nearest bar with my eyes streaming and order a cold beer. I'm sure it was all incredibly attractive and glamorous. I'd have loved to have taken some back, but it was hella expensive and I was concerned about either of the following happening:

-spilling it whilst cooking and the cat sticking his face in it

-someone getting brave at a party and having to take a trip to A&E/the morgue.

It would have been most ace-ic though, just one drop is enough to add more than enough heat to a big pot of chilli. Would have saved a lot of chopping! Settled for some tequila lime hot sauce and chipotle seasoning instead, which are both still pretty delicious.

The sauces you bought sound amazing! I need to take a trip to America it seems. The source sauce sounds hellish. Pure capsaicin which is the active ingredient in chillis is 15-16 million scoville units. No wonder it is so expensive though, probably need an epic chemistry set to get an extract that strong!

The names of the sauces on the website are quite upfront too, featuring such delights as 'anal angst x-hot sauce', 'ass blaster', 'ass reaper' and 'assplosion'. Ace-ic packaging on this one!

122.jpg

• Upvote 2

Provide as much as you want but you will be drinking it ;) The chilli thing is becoming increasingly a good idea! I made 23 litres of strawberry cider for xmas and still have about half of it left in the keg. They say it lasts for 6 months and that time will come at the end of june so it needs drunk soon! Need to go check it is still fine to drink but had some a couple of weeks back and it was still ok. After that can get brewing the elderflower cider!

The sauces you bought sound amazing! I need to take a trip to America it seems. The source sauce sounds hellish. Pure capsaicin which is the active ingredient in chillis is 15-16 million scoville units. No wonder it is so expensive though, probably need an epic chemistry set to get an extract that strong!

The names of the sauces on the website are quite upfront too, featuring such delights as 'anal angst x-hot sauce', 'ass blaster', 'ass reapere' and 'assplosion'. Ace-ic packaging on this one!

122.jpg

I'm sure you could find people on this board to help you out with any home made booze you have left. ;)

Needs its own thread.

Needs its own thread.

The making or the drinking? It's really easy to make. All you need is this

Brewing kit - http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/starter-kits/products/home-brew-online-starter-kit

Optional but the heat varies in my flat a lot so got a heating mat -> http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/sale/products/25l-fermenting-vessel-heater-tray

cider kit -> http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/cider-making/magnum

and some brewing sugar -> http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/ingredients/products/youngs-brewing-wine-making-sugar-1kg

The only thing you need to replenish from the kit is the steriliser. It is expensive to start up with if you need a heating mat but after that the booze is really cheap and pretty good too.

I bought my sister a wine making kit for christmas but she is currently preggers so it is unused. Due at the end of July though so I expect them to start brewing at the beginning of July and drinking after the baby is born so will report back after!

Regarding the hot sauces, there's a shop in St Nicks market in Bristol that sells nothing but hunners hot sauces like the one pictured above, just in case anyone is down there visiting at any stage.

Also, I'm pretty sure that in the stupid wings challenge on Man vs Food they use pure capsaicin drops in the sauce. Absolute nonsense!

http://www.hot-headz.com/chilli-sauce/super-hot-chili-sauce/ I discovered this looking for the blairs 16 million reserves (which was £300 a bottle here when it was in stock!). Might do some shopping here! Sauces will be chosen by the best name though, the ONLY way to judge hot sauces as they probably all taste like crap anyway. Even normal tobasco sauce has almost no taste to me, it's just pure burn. That is part of the reason I love proper spicy Asian food. Hot as hell but tastes nice too and it creeps up on you as opposed to the full frontal tastebud assault of American hot sauces.

http://www.hot-headz.com/chilli-sauce/super-hot-chili-sauce/ I discovered this looking for the blairs 16 million reserves (which was £300 a bottle here when it was in stock!). Might do some shopping here! Sauces will be chosen by the best name though, the ONLY way to judge hot sauces as they probably all taste like crap anyway. Even normal tobasco sauce has almost no taste to me, it's just pure burn. That is part of the reason I love proper spicy Asian food. Hot as hell but tastes nice too and it creeps up on you as opposed to the full frontal tastebud assault of American hot sauces.

Naaaah, Asian food is amazing, but a decent chilli with smoky seasoning, coconut, sweet potato, a bit of dark chocolate and a nuclear-spicy afterburner is properly ace-ic!

Naaaah, Asian food is amazing, but a decent chilli with smoky seasoning, coconut, sweet potato, a bit of dark chocolate and a nuclear-spicy afterburner is properly ace-ic!

While that is definitely true, I have never been to a restaurant where they make it like that! Any more stories from America about decent chilli? At home you can make anything as spicy and flavoursome as you want, but it's one of the dishes that are always underwhelming in restaurants over here. Unless you know of any good places that serve it!

Chilli in restaurants is almost always disappointing because they're afraid of making it too spicy for people. Which is shite. They should just make it really hot and supply loads of guac and sour cream so you can cool it down if it's too hot.

There are some things I never order in restaurants for similar reasons. Macaroni cheese usually just takes like flour, spaghetti bolognese usually just tastes like tomatoes (I like it with enough garlic to make vampires extinct altogether!), chilli and generally anything 'spicy' in British restaurant. If you go to an authentic restaurant of the cuisine being made they generally do make things spicy if you ask. I think the worst thing in restaurants though is the lame excuse for spicy food that is jalapenos stored in brine that are served so widely! It really pisses me off. I ordered something spicy, you gave me a salty pepper.

As a kid the only thing I used to order in Italian restaurants was spaghetti bolognese. Not enough garlic! If you're not scaring people with garlic breath the morning after then there was not enough in it! I am not a fan of subtle flavours though really or british food in general. I don't understand the cheese and onion obsession! Bland cheese and onion at that. Raw onions (especially red onions) and strong cheeses are ace on sandwiches and salads and things but people think that is weird too.