aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just finished reading "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. One of the most original books I've ever read; it's a book which you cannot just read page to page, there is so much happening in it that you read certain pages at least four or five times to try to grasp of signifance of it!

Well worth a read for anyone who fancies a bit of original horror/sci-fi.

Samuel Johnson - Rasellas

Hardly a novel; more a fable. The most pessimistic thing I've ever read. The entire premise is that there is simply no way to be happy in the world we live in; happiness is a fleeting moment that is acquired only momentarily at particular high points in life. Otherwise, man is forever compelled to want more, lust after what his neighbour has, set unrealistic dreams for himself that will never be realised and eventually succumb to his own imaginination in continual ignorance of reason and moderation in life. Lovely stuff.

how does it end? tell everyone when it's finished!

He lost in the end, and a ridiculous amount of his enemy died to allow him to achieve the Ragnarok end he wanted. Rather sad, really.

But it was a fantastic book, and I really hope to find a similar read on either Churchill or Stalin based on the war years. Until then , I'm off to Ancient Rome by Simon Baker, which seems an easy read :)

I'm reading "Have A Nice Day! A Tale of Blood And Sweatsocks" by Mick Foley. Not particularly stimluating, but funny. I was reading War & Peace by Tolstoy, but when the Foley book(s) arrived on my doorstp it got quickly shelved (it may be a masterpiece but it's a bit of a slog if you're reading a couple of chapters before bed like I was doing)

• 2 weeks later...
I read 'Post Office' by Charles Bukowski yesterday which was very good. I'll definitley be reading more of his novels.

I started Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy today.

I would actually rate Fahrenheit 451 above Brave New World but neither are close to 1984.

I would recommend Factotum if you liked Post Office, although Ham On Rye is my favourite Bukowski book.

I'm currently reading bits of The Scottish Nation, and for fiction Damage Land: New Scottish Gothic Fiction.

The Pale Plue Eye by Louis Bayard.

Set in 1830's Up-Sate New York, a retired NY Roundsman, Gus Landor, is called out of retirement to investigate the brutal murder of a West Point Military Cadet which took place in the academy's grounds.

Forced to keep his investigation confidential Landor is entrusted with the company of Military Plebe Edgar Allan Poe to aid his investigation. Speak about a can of worms...

Finished the Post Office mentioned above a couple of weeks ago. ACE.

Now reading Will Self's Book of Dave. Can recommend 'feeding frenzy' to anyone - one of the few books that made me laugh out loud (and at a very high volume too).

Not sure about Book of Dave yet. I think the idea is brilliant but the bits where he writes stuff down as if it's a txt on a mobile is slightly annoying and distracting.

Just finished Jon Courtenay Grimwood's Arabesk trilogy. Very cool post-cyberpunk stuff.

Today I bought:

Hard Times by Charles Dickens

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

The Search for the Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

and a book about The Fall (the band, not the book)

I dont know what to read first. yaaay.

Guest Bob Double Jack

just finished dave lee roths autobiography "crazy from the heat".

not as good as motley crues " the dirt" but not a bad read.

onto "fear and loathing in las vegas" now. bizarre.

Stolen by Kelly Armstrong.

I am really trying to get a hold of Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I've already read the entire Sword of Truth series, but my Dad loaned my Uncle the first one and he lost it and now I really want to read it again whilst waiting for the next book to be released, and Waterstones is always sold out!

Well I'm currently meant to be studying from "Economics" by Parkin, Powell and Matthews as I have a presentation to do at midday tomorrow. It's actually quite interesting if you're a "saddo" as they say. Or if you're a keen intelect like I'm sure many of you are. Me though, I want a bloody pint of lager really badly.

...and again for impact: Really badly.