aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I finished Bulgakov's "master and margarita", great stuff, it really picks up in book two, when satan gets to hold his ball, with all the dead come for a dance...it's fantastic reading.

I also just finished the haruki murakami "south of the border, west of the sun".

it's such a brilliant read too, so simple, yet beautiful, it's like a novel of poetry, a sheer joy to read.

all about a guy who runs a jazz bar, and an old girlfriend comes in after 20 odd years, and the shit it causes...it's just great.

l21368.jpg

onto one flew over the cuckoo's nest next.

i'm reading 'the machine that changed the world' about toyota's intropduction of the lean system in their organisation from the 60s-the 80s. have been meaning to read it for years and finally got round to it. it's pretty dry content but the story is well told. just waiting for a heap of other books to drop through my door any day now. i've ordered about ten in the last week alone.

/x

I read 'Notes from Underground' last week and am reading 'The Double' at the moment. (both by Dostoyevksy.)

still reading the bible, someone needs to edit the hell out this thing. get rid of all the chapters which are just people begetting each other and replace that shit with a bigass family tree.

I also got the collected works of William Carlos Williams (pt 2...dont have pt 1 yet though) and also got 'Alice in Wonderland'/'Through the looking glass' when i bought the Dostoyevsky stuff last week.

still reading the bible, someone needs to edit the hell out this thing. get rid of all the chapters which are just people begetting each other and replace that shit with a bigass family tree

i agree with that. if it came with a pullout family tree for your wall it'd be more a pamphlet than a novel!

/x

I'm currently reading One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Its about the life of a political prisoner in a soviet "special" camp after the war. Its not as depressing as it sounds, before that it was two Prachett novels -Wee free men and erm...some other instantly forgetable one. The next on the list is the Crazy dervish and the pomegranate tree by Farnoosh Moshiri. Its another about prison in Iraq during the regilous revolution.

I seem to be reading a lot about prisoners at the moment....hmmm....perhaps I'm feeling trapped in my life or something....

Pete

inthehills

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluesxman

Hannibal Rising is finished and was pretty dissappointing overall. I then re-read Judge Dredd In Oz for some reason and have decided to re-read my rather nice black leather bound copy of Watchmen.

Just started "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner.

I quite enjoyed that, it gets a bit dense and maths-y in places but the chapter about drug dealers in LA is brilliant.

I'm currently reading:

His Dark Materials: The Northern Lights - Philip Pullman(Been meaning to pick this up for ages, and definitely wanted to read it before the film appears, it's pretty good so far)

Batman Knightfall Vol 3. - Chuck Dixon/Alan Grant/various (It's OK, but they've skipped a whole buncha plot from Vol 2.)

Also got issue 6 of Garth Ennis' new effort, 'The Boys'. It's extrememly promising, anyone wanna lend me issues 1-5? ;)

I'm currently reading:

His Dark Materials: The Northern Lights - Philip Pullman(Been meaning to pick this up for ages, and definitely wanted to read it before the film appears, it's pretty good so far)

Now that's a trilogy I really enjoyed.

If you really want to get into the scientific explanations of the book as I did then I recommend you buy

The Science of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" By Mary and John Gribbin.

0340881593.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I don't do too much casual reading usually in term time but right now I am reading:

The Slaves of the Mastery - William Nicholson

I love it, I'm re-reading it because it's one of my favourite series.

Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

My friend sent me this for Christmas, highly recommended. However so far I don't like it, just find the style crappy, forced and unpleasant to read. But I'll finish it anyway.

Then for uni I'm reading:

RUR - Karel Capek

Boring...

Combray - Marcel Proust

This is the only one of my reading list that I really liked before starting to study it, even though everyone else hates it because he's a pussy and writes too much description. The stuff about reality/dreams is interesting and he can be pretty funny at times too.

have decided to re-read my rather nice black leather bound copy of Watchmen.

Aaah, one the greatest works of graphic fiction ever. May re-read it myself soon, I did my sixth year English dissertation on Watchmen y'know? Read V For Vendetta? If you like Watchmen you'll probably dig it, the film (which is not bad) isn't a patch on the book, as is often the case.

There was fresh talk of a Watchmen film recently, it's been in pre-production hell for ages. I can't help but feel it's un-filmable though...

Guest bluesxman
Aaah, one the greatest works of graphic fiction ever. May re-read it myself soon, I did my sixth year English dissertation on Watchmen y'know? Read V For Vendetta? If you like Watchmen you'll probably dig it, the film (which is not bad) isn't a patch on the book, as is often the case.

There was fresh talk of a Watchmen film recently, it's been in pre-production hell for ages. I can't help but feel it's un-filmable though...

Yeah I had a copy of V For vendetta knocking about the house for ages, finally got round to reading it recently, great stuff. Thought the film was OK too. Watchmen is far too wide in scope to make a decent film I think, although I kind of like From Hell as a film, in comparison to the range of material in the bookit falls well short of a decent adaptation.

Now that's a trilogy I really enjoyed.

If you really want to get into the scientific explanations of the book as I did then I recommend you buy

The Science of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" By Mary and John Gribbin.

0340881593.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Does it explain the religious stuff too? I was really struggling with the final book in the trilogy until I read Paradise Lost for Uni and suddenly it all made a little more sense but it's a bit of an uphill slog too.

I'm up to my eyeballs in Yeats, Plath and Auden for my dissertation but had to read Capote's In Cold Blood for class which was really good, rather similar to books like The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, or vice versa considering what came first. I'm also flicking through The Dirty Bits of Girls which I got for Christmas and investigating books mentioned in that. Purely for educational reasons of course ;)