aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Freakonomics, in which the economist Steven Levitt applies the tools of economic theory to unusual topics such as 'why do drug dealers still live with their mothers', and, 'what do sumo wrestlers and teachers have in common'. It's all about analysing data and considering peoples' incentive to act in certain ways, to understand situations and phenomena and not resort to conventional wisdom and commonly held beliefs that are often wrong.

I'm just reading anything by Haruki Murakami. I think it was KarmaTsunami who pointed me in this direction, its just absolutely brilliant. If it was you and you manage to identify me at the back of a gig one day, I'll buy you a pint or two in thanks.

Just finished south of the border, west of the sun. Gentle and brilliant as always.

pete

Finished the Sherlock Holmes book I was reading, then read the third (and last) HP Lovecraft compilation, which took ages because there was one "short story" which was about 150 pages long and had no chapter break or anything, it was like a giant block of text. It was good though. Finished it a few days ago, then read another Sherlock Holmes book, and am now a third of the way through 'One Of Us' by Michael Marshall Smith.

Also, 'End of the world blues' by Jon Courtenay Grimwood is finally out in paperback, so I bought it and will read it shortly.

Yaaaay books.

I've decided to try a couple of horror novels this time so I'm starting with the master himself.. James Herbert's 'The Secret of Crinkley Hall.'

The title just keeps reminding me of Noel Edmonds for some strange reason.

Finished this excellent horror novel. (Incidentally it's Crickley Hall... not Crinkley. I only discovered my mistake 300 pages in!)

It has everything a horror should have... Stormy weather, malevolent ghosts, child abuse and a big scary house.

This one rocks... and the end is pretty emotional too.

Just finished Freakonomics, in which the economist Steven Levitt applies the tools of economic theory to unusual topics such as 'why do drug dealers still live with their mothers', and, 'what do sumo wrestlers and teachers have in common'. It's all about analysing data and considering peoples' incentive to act in certain ways, to understand situations and phenomena and not resort to conventional wisdom and commonly held beliefs that are often wrong.

This sounds pretty good. Though I don't really get economics, I'd happily give this one a shot. Noted down!

I'm coming to the end of 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' by John Irving. It's fantastic, can't believe I haven't read it already. It's such a heartwarming story. The way Irving depicts

Owen is just ace. I don't want the book to finish but want to know what happens so badly! I've been reading it in any spare 5 minutes I have. Would recommend it to anyone.

Guest DustyDeviada
Currently reading "If you like School, You'll love Work" by Irvine Welsh. It's a collection of short stories, which I am halfway through. Quite entertaining, but a bit disturbing at the same time...

Just finished this, thought it was great for the most part. Particularly enjoyed the Fife novella and the title story, but the others were good too. I just can't get enough Irvine Welsh.

Johnny Cash's autobiography next.

• 3 weeks later...