aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got round to reading "On the Road" which I've had for years and never bothered with, I still can't really be bothered with it 9 chapters in. After that I will be reading "Oh, Play That Thing!" by Roddy Doyle, the follow up to "A Star Called Henry" which I enjoyed a lot.

I've just started "A brief history of tractors in the Ukranian."

It looks a bit of a girlie read to be honest but it's short so I'll give it a go.

Turns out that this book was pretty great. It's one of those books you want to read all in one go.

I've now started "Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking."

Hmmm, I still can't believe a book can make me stop but what have I got to lose.

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes*

*In 27 10 minute lessons.

cout << "It's quite fun actually." << endl;

Those sams books are ok, I got the php one recently and it was alright for learning the syntax, wasn't quite 10 mins but I was writing functional, useful code with it the day after.

Those sams books are ok, I got the php one recently and it was alright for learning the syntax, wasn't quite 10 mins but I was writing functional, useful code with it the day after.

Yeah, I was using an online tutorial but the book's better, I think. I also like the friendly tone they use: "Programmers often have trouble remembering these rules. Even if you don't have any doubt, parenthesis are a good idea" and the melodrama: "This is one of the most feared problems a programmer must face. The program did something terribly wrong."

Guest Kilgore Trout

i just read HP Lovecrafts "shadow over innsmouth",

now i cant sleep. the village reminds me of Aberdeen.

i've probably just overdone the coffe again. tch.

Guest Kilgore Trout
You should read 'The Dunwich Horror'. Equally creepy

aye, i'm going to track the rest of his stuff down- i think there's two more volumes of stuff edited by the same guy as the collection i have, being a dork i really like the endnotes and stuff. the drooling roleplayers at my school really put me off lovecraft without reading any of his stuff- it's good though, really wierd and a lot like that edgar allen poe gadge that i like as well...

Guest Kilgore Trout
I've got the book "Shadows over Innsmouth" which is a collection of Innsmouth tales. Well worth a read if you're into Lovecraft.

ShadowsoverInnsmouth.jpg

ooh, aye. that looks good. the cover looks like a bad metal band cover, which is a big attraction for me.

aye, i'm going to track the rest of his stuff down- i think there's two more volumes of stuff edited by the same guy as the collection i have, being a dork i really like the endnotes and stuff. the drooling roleplayers at my school really put me off lovecraft without reading any of his stuff- it's good though, really wierd and a lot like that edgar allen poe gadge that i like as well...

I bought Crawling Chaos about 10 years ago which is an excellent compilation of his better and lesser known works.

I don't know if it's out of print now but I'll see if I can get the ISBN

Guest Kilgore Trout
I read Brave New World for the sole purpose of joining a debate about it and Nineteen-Eighty-Four. It was a decent read, I quite enjoyed the happy grimness.

Back to my Hitler biography though. He just lost a major battle at Stalingrad (great twist, everything was going so well until now).

how does it end? tell everyone when it's finished!

i read my struggle by him ages ago, it was quite hilarious. George bush should write a similar book, reckon it would be just as edgy.

I read Brave New World for the sole purpose of joining a debate about it and Nineteen-Eighty-Four. It was a decent read, I quite enjoyed the happy grimness.

I definately prefer 1984 but that could be just as it's fresher in my mind. Don't even bother with Farenheit 451. It's total shite and not even in the other twos league.

I definately prefer 1984 but that could be just as it's fresher in my mind. Don't even bother with Farenheit 451. It's total shite and not even in the other twos league.

I keep thinking I liked Nineteen Eighty-Four simply because I read it years ago, and it was more firmly ingrained in my mind. It probably has more to do with the final section of the book though, which was brilliant. Brave New World kinda stumbled along as I expected it to.

Never even considered Farenheit 451, but another fairly decent book similar to Nineteen Eighty-Four(it has virtually the same storyline :p)) is Richard Harris' Fatherland. It does a good job of representing a world where Germany won the Second World War - never going over the top but at the same time keeping a feeling of tension and paranoia. It only suffers because, as I say, it sometimes seems identical to Nineteen Eighty-Four :)

but another fairly decent book similar to Nineteen Eighty-Four(it has virtually the same storyline :p)) is Richard Harris' Fatherland. It does a good job of representing a world where Germany won the Second World War - never going over the top but at the same time keeping a feeling of tension and paranoia. It only suffers because, as I say, it sometimes seems identical to Nineteen Eighty-Four :)

Yeah, I've read this (and seen the film with Rutger Hauer) and thought it was pretty good. I would give the book '48 a go by James Herbert. That's pretty good too. (I'm sure it was called 48 as a reference to 1984)