aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just finished "If You Could See Me Now" by Cecelia Ahern. Really enjoyed it, one of those books that just gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside - best way to describe it really.

If you ever had an imaginary friend as a child then you should read it.

Plan to read the new James Patterson book next before finally getting into I, Lucifer properly (keep getting distracted by another book every time I start to read it, very unlike me.)

My brother gave me that for christmas but i'm yet to look at it. Is it all that funny?

Karl Pilkington is undoubtedly the funniest man on the planet (unintentionally). You should have a listen to the Podcasts he's done with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant if you haven't already done so.

The stories he tells about his upbringing are the highlights for me. I started listening to the XFM stuff they used to do a few years ago and I've been hooked since then, it's solid gold.

And I'm reading Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby JR.

Is 1984 the movie any good?........

I've never seen the film but I've finished the book and can honestly say that it's one of the cleverest I've read for a while. (I have been reading a lot of shit recently mind you!) Better than 'Brave New World'.

Whilst I'm on this sort of theme, I've just started 'Fahrenheit 451'. I'm almost 100 pages into it (It's less than 300 pages long) and it's just not 1984. But I'll finish it.

Guest bluesxman
My brother gave me that for christmas but i'm yet to look at it. Is it all that funny?

Some of it I found hilarious, other parts not so much. I bought the podcast CD's afterwards which covers most of the same material and was actually crying with laughter at some parts. They are made infinitely more amusing by his deadpan Manc accent, to my humour taste anyway.

Some of it I found hilarious, other parts not so much. I bought the podcast CD's afterwards which covers most of the same material and was actually crying with laughter at some parts. They are made infinitely more amusing by his deadpan Manc accent, to my humour taste anyway.

If you enjoyed the podcasts you should have a look at Xfm - The UK's New Music Radio Station and Main Page - Pilkipedia where they have recordings of the old XFM shows where the three guys started working together. There's something like 100 hours worth of stuff going around, there is some incredible stuff on there.

Some of my favourites include the time Steve Merchant was speaking to an actor on a TV set who said he was never going to go to another gig, as nothing would ever top the experience of seeing UB40 live, and Karl discovering his neighbours kept a horse in the living room next door.

Over the holidays I finished Hunter S. Thomson's book on Hell's Angels which was good but not as good as I remember it the first time around. Also A Christmas Carol and Miracle on 34th Street which I read in the run up to Christmas every year to get me in the mood.

Also read, The Incredible Adam Spark by Alan Bissett (formerly of Arab Strab someone else here told me) which is quite funny and touching. The story is told by Adam who has a learning difficulty, works in a burger bar and loves Queen. After an accident he wakes up in hospital believing he has superpowers. It took about a chapter to get into it as its all written in Adam's stream of consciousness scots vernacular but once I got into it I could barely put it down.

Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell was an entertaining read about a young Japanese man searching for his father in Tokyo. He has a very vivid imagination so its difficult at times to seperate his fantasies from real events. It was good but got a little bogged down by what I took to be an attempt to win extra "arty" points about midway through where the narrative is interrupted several times by extracts from a badly written (deliberately, one assumes) novel - it just slowed the story down for no good purpose.

Waxwings by Jonathan Raban was suprisingly good. It contrasts the lives of a wealthy Hungarian/British writer living in the Seattle at the turn of the Millenium with that of a newly arrived Chinese illegal immigrant. Its one of those books where nothing much happens - no car chases, serial killers etc but the quality of the writing and vividness of the characters and their lives kind of draws you in.

Currently working on "102 Minutes" a factual account of events inside the World Trade Centre on Sept 11th 2001 but being back at work has severely cut into my reading time.

Still on my to do list:

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Peter Kay the sound of Laughter by Peter Kay

Thinks... by David Lodge

How Mumb Jumbo Conquered the World by Francis Wheen

Greetings from E-Street: The story of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band by Robert Santelli

At some point I keep promising myself that I'm going to sit down with the entire Dark Tower series and read them all straight through but I've yet to find the time!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Is 1984 the movie any good?........

Certainly is, Richard Burton's final film, a young Gregor Fisher and John Hurt plays a blinder as Winston Smith. Very faithful to the book, and some gratuitous nudity as well. Rock.

Guest bluesxman

Finally finished The Story Of Crass, which was in part interesting, part repetitive and definitely needed better editing, spelling mistakes galore.

Anyhow now onto Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris. Started it last night and near halfway through, don't expect this one will take me long.