aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished Success by Martin Amis. I tried Times Arrow and Money initially but gave up on both for different reasons. Success is a fantastic read about a trio of young people driven to madness and vice by society..and incest. It captures very well the loneliness of city life, the physical and mental degeneration of working shitty jobs, abhorrence of a fashion / commerce driven society. Lucky Jim by his Dad, Kingsley, is also cracking; it's what inspired me to persist with Martin.

About to start a Will Self number I bought today (for a pretty horrible nine quid..)

I finished the book about The Fall and also Moby Dick.

Moby Dick was awesome. Ahab = legendo!

There was a while there when I thought it was going to suck, but no.

Currently reading some pop-math stuff.

ahab is indeed a crazy guy. to be honest i skipped a lot of the parts where hes going off on a tangent about whales, as it bored the shit out of me. i prefer the parts where ahab is stalking the deck, waving burning harpoons around and generally scaring his own crew...

im reading whisky galore by compton mackenzie, the scramble for africa by thomas pakenham and slowly plodding through war and peace

Finished both the pop-math books (although one was more computer-historyish).

Then read 'A Study In Scarlet' by Arthur Conan Doyle (it's the first sherlock holmes novel). I bought 6 shelock holmes books when I was in Blackwell's because there was a deal on. [3 for 2, 4.99 each] Awesome.

An I'm about 50 pages from the end of the penguin classics compilation of H.P. Lovecraft stuff called 'Call of Cthulhu and other wierd tales' which kicks ass, as expected.

Yaaaay, books. Exams are getting in the way, last one on friday though :)

Escape from Alcatraz by J. Campbell Bruce. I'm reading it for facts, which it has, but I dislike the way it's written, which is something like a crappy novel crossed with amateur journalism.

"Their tommyguns beat a rat-tat-tat of slaughter that echoed in big black type, and their outsized egos gorged on the scare of banner lines." Huh??

Can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Martin Amis, Hunter S. Thompson, JD Salinger, Easton Ellis?

I lost a friends book on the bus. I want to get him something good as an apology, something mind-blowing preferably, though maybe just a ruddy good read.

Try Will Self, he's one of my favourite authors. I'm re-reading "the quantity theory of insanity" collection of short stories at the moment.

Can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Martin Amis, Hunter S. Thompson, JD Salinger, Easton Ellis?

I lost a friends book on the bus. I want to get him something good as an apology, something mind-blowing preferably, though maybe just a ruddy good read.

Last Exit To Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Junior