aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

The reason that they drive on the right hand side of the road on the continent dates back to Napoleonic times. He insisted his armies march on his right hand side, and the practice stuck. He never got to march his Grande Armee through Britain, and so we don't do it.

(this could be an urban/rural myth, but it sounds fairly plausible)

I think it's more to do with how teams of horses were handled in various countries in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday (not Today, LOL) I learned that I had a cheque for 1295 sitting in the house from a tax refund...since December.

Says on the cheque they'll pay the amount if cashed in 6 months. Arse.

Phoned, they're sending me a replacement, which'll take up to 6 weeks. GREAT SUCCESS!

• 2 weeks later...
motion sickness is a result of your eyes and your ears sending conflicting signals to your brain. Your brain interprets this discordance as if one of your senses is compromised by a neurotoxin. To get the "poison" out of your body, your brain then triggers the vomit reflex.

Now I know.

I learned this today too, so thanks.

QI tried saying world war II didn't end until the fall of the Berlin wall because through some technicality there was no "Germany" to be at war with/end the war with. I didn't fully understand but it was definitely bullshit, if there is no country to be at war with, there is no war.

You just implied QI was bullshit?

No.