aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

Colonel Sanders was a real bloke who really did start the KFC chain. I thought he was just a made-up mascot, like Mr Wimpy or Ronald McDonald.

Colonel Sanders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And also his secret recipe really is a secret recipe.

McDonald's really was started by a clown.

The story was something like this:

McDonald's was founded by a Scottish American called Stephen McRonald. He was a clown in a travelling circus, where he chose the more memorable stage name "Ronald McDonald" however. In 1922, an Italian-American called Toni Burglarmasco (who worked with Ronald in the circus as his stage-arch rival the Burglar) approached McDonald about a potential business venture in some burger stands in Atlanta, Georgia. Burglarmasco wished to use McDonald's stage name and kindly clown features as the front of the new burger vans, that would be aimed at street kids. It is important to point out that McDonald and Burglarmasco were best friends at the time, so they left the circus and split the new business 50/50. By 1929 the business had taken off and they had moved from burger vans to shops all the way up the east side of USA, from Massachusets to Florida. However it is well documented that by this point, the stresses of running a company together - as well as Burglarmasco's disappointment in McDonald's cut-throat business approach - had led to a inner-company fued. David Cheese (once the mayor of Georgia, who had a hand in the company's fast growth) was also a major partner in the company by this point under the alias "Mayor McCheese." Burglarmasco envied McCheese and his influence over McDonald. By 1931, a loophole in the original contract (involving McDonald's rights as the face of the company) led to McDonald and McCheese buying Burglarmasco out of McDonald's inc. In his dismay, Burglarmasco attempted to steal all of the burgers from the company (a move that would ruin their balance sheets for a few months). Unsurprisingly, he was caught and disgraced across the media; who dubbed him the "Hamburglar" -> a character that McDonald'stook on and still use today.

By 1933, McDonald's had spread across the entire USA. By this point, Burglarmasco was dead. Rumours have it that McDonald sent his henchmen to murder him, however many believe Burglarmasco threw himself off that bridge.

I'd like to point out that although Ronald McDonald truly is the founder of McDonald's (or, arguably Toni Burglarmasco) The Burger King is a fraud.

• Upvote 2

McDonald's was founded by a Scottish American called Stephen McRonald. He was a clown in a travelling circus, where he chose the more memorable stage name "Ronald McDonald" however. In 1922, an Italian-American called Toni Burglarmasco (who worked with Ronald in the circus as his stage-arch rival the Burglar) approached McDonald about a potential business venture in some burger stands in Atlanta, Georgia. Burglarmasco wished to use McDonald's stage name and kindly clown features as the front of the new burger vans, that would be aimed at street kids. It is important to point out that McDonald and Burglarmasco were best friends at the time, so they left the circus and split the new business 50/50. By 1929 the business had taken off and they had moved from burger vans to shops all the way up the east side of USA, from Massachusets to Florida. However it is well documented that by this point, the stresses of running a company together - as well as Burglarmasco's disappointment in McDonald's cut-throat business approach - had led to a inner-company fued. David Cheese (once the mayor of Georgia, who had a hand in the company's fast growth) was also a major partner in the company by this point under the alias "Mayor McCheese." Burglarmasco envied McCheese and his influence over McDonald. By 1931, a loophole in the original contract (involving McDonald's rights as the face of the company) led to McDonald and McCheese buying Burglarmasco out of McDonald's inc. In his dismay, Burglarmasco attempted to steal all of the burgers from the company (a move that would ruin their balance sheets for a few months). Unsurprisingly, he was caught and disgraced across the media; who dubbed him the "Hamburglar" -> a character that McDonald'stook on and still use today.

By 1933, McDonald's had spread across the entire USA. By this point, Burglarmasco was dead. Rumours have it that McDonald sent his henchmen to murder him, however many believe Burglarmasco threw himself off that bridge.

I'd like to point out that although Ronald McDonald truly is the founder of McDonald's (or, arguably Toni Burglarmasco) The Burger King is a fraud.

If you devised that I don't know if you're a genius or a bit weird (probably both).

Guest Gladstone

Did you make all that up yourself or copy and paste from somewhere else?

If you devised that I don't know if you're a genius or a bit weird (probably both).

Definitely the latter. I have nothing to offer anyone other than nonsense. I actually gets me down from time to time.

Did you make all that up yourself or copy and paste from somewhere else?

I recalled it from my memory, as that's what happened. It took me roughly 12 minutes and is nothing to be proud about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The reason that they drive on the right hand side of the road on the continent dates back to Napoleonic times. He insisted his armies march on his right hand side, and the practice stuck. He never got to march his Grande Armee through Britain, and so we don't do it.

(this could be an urban/rural myth, but it sounds fairly plausible)

Pat Nevin is a DJ.

Not an alternative Faithless song title, but actual fact. He played at the wee red bar in Edinburgh not long ago and by all accounts was very good. How did I not already know this amazing fact?!

Think I might have mentioned it once. I didn't know either until a friend of mine went to see him in Edinburgh and put a picture of himself next to pat up on facebook.