aberdeen-music

Helicopter ditches in north sea

Guest Tam o' Shantie

bond are grounding the fleet for a day as a mark of respect, not because pumas are inherently unsafe to use. These choppers are used worldwide in civil and military aviation and have been for decades. Now, either bond has been hit by bad luck or there is something else causing a problem here, but to suggest that they ground their fleet until they find a nut that is loose or something in all of their aircraft is ridiculous.

bond are grounding the fleet for a day as a mark of respect, not because pumas are inherently unsafe to use. These choppers are used worldwide in civil and military aviation and have been for decades. Now, either bond has been hit by bad luck or there is something else causing a problem here, but to suggest that they ground their fleet until they find a nut that is loose or something in all of their aircraft is ridiculous.

exatly this point has to be made clear at the moment people cannot assume Bond or the type of helicopter is too blame for this.

I was in Bond's offices today.. and all over that side of Dyce. Copious amounts of convos took place and from how i heard it. This time was a "Gear Box Failure" @ however many feet high. I forget how high but it was well up.. and the decent took a mere 9secs (i say mere, but could you imagine, 9secs is long enough to know what's coming at you!)... Poor souls.

The other weeks accident was pilot error.. but that could be chinese whispers.

So are any of the offshore workers on this site thinking of a career change after this tragedy?

I'm not working offshore yet but most likely will be by the end of the year. Starting to think it's not really worth it.

Why? You can count the number of Helicopter tragedies over the past 10 years on one hand. Can i have your job if you're not prepared to take the massive wage to risk something that there's as much chance of as getting knocked down by a bus on your way out your front door. I'm more than happy to take the risk.

alkaline is literally paid in peanuts. his boss just yells come here monkey boy and lobs them at him once a month then make him do a wee dance.

This is 100% true. I heard your bosses fucked over the whole UK though Dave :finger:

In all seriousness though, even offshore catering staff get paid more than me. I've yet to meet someone who works offshore that gets any less that 18,000 a year. I would quite happily get on that cock so to speak.

Anyways, its sad that this accident happened and i feel really sorry for the families of the guys killed.

So are any of the offshore workers on this site thinking of a career change after this tragedy?

I'm not working offshore yet but most likely will be by the end of the year. Starting to think it's not really worth it.

Not me. Although i don't 100% agree with Alkaline, for some guys the fear, worry and perhaps the memories of whats happened might out weigh the advantages of working offshore. Pressure from families might also make up their minds for them. On the other hand, some might not have the choice, they have mortgages to pay, families to provide for and a lifestyle they're now accustomed to.

For all the safety statistics and records that have been banded about i can still guarantee its going to be at the back of the minds of everyone flying to and from the rigs in the next few months/years.

I've yet to meet one that isn't.

Which is why it's such an attractive prospect, especially with the 2/2, 3/2 shifts, etc.

Many people look at a 2/2 or 2/3 rota and think magic! 2 or 3 weeks at home... you forget that you have to do the time offshore as well. You wont find many people who enjoy either the 2 offshore or the 2/3 onshore - alot of my mates are bored out their tits when they're at home as everyone's working during the day, or their mates are on different rota's.

Thankfully I'm usually only offshore for 2 or 3 days at a time (one mammoth trip lasted 6 days! Doing nothing on the Fulmar and getting badgered to hurry up and commission the smoking lunge again!) 8o but trust me, that is long enough!

Not me. Although i don't 100% agree with Alkaline, for some guys the fear, worry and perhaps the memories of whats happened might out weigh the advantages of working offshore. Pressure from families might also make up their minds for them. On the other hand, some might not have the choice, they have mortgages to pay, families to provide for and a lifestyle they're now accustomed to.

For all the safety statistics and records that have been banded about i can still guarantee its going to be at the back of the minds of everyone flying to and from the rigs in the next few months/years.

I can see your point but as phil says you are more likely to get knocked down by a bus than for a helicopter to crash whilst your in it, do these people think twice before they cross the road when they hear this statistic? I have the upmost sympathy for the familys and friends who have lost loved ones over this but the last thing we need is a huge over reaction to an accident, people who have been on helicopters for years now saying they are not safe ect, and most importantly we cannot have people pointing the finger at any person or company until the full details are disclosed.

• Upvote 1

This is 100% true. I heard your bosses fucked over the whole UK though Dave :finger:

In all seriousness though, even offshore catering staff get paid more than me. I've yet to meet someone who works offshore that gets any less that 18,000 a year. I would quite happily get on that cock so to speak.

Anyways, its sad that this accident happened and i feel really sorry for the families of the guys killed.

Is it really worth getting out of bed for less than 18K a year anyway?

I can see your point but as phil says you are more likely to get knocked down by a bus than for a helicopter to crash whilst your in it, do these people think twice before they cross the road when they hear this statistic? I have the upmost sympathy for the familys and friends who have lost loved ones over this but the last thing we need is a huge over reaction to an accident, people who have been on helicopters for years now saying they are not safe ect, and most importantly we cannot have people pointing the finger at any person or company until the full details are disclosed.

Can't believe I'm typing this, but well said that man.

:up:

it's a lot of shite that all offshore workers are on a massive wage by the way.

The deckhands / roustabouts (who basically carry heavy shit around all day and do stuff like painting and scaffolding) get paid a fuck of a lot more than they would for doing unskilled work onshore.

Starting salaries for roustabouts (basic operative job on a rig) are around 18,000, rising to 23,000 with experience. Roughnecks earn around 28,000 a year.

Getting in

No formal academic qualifications are needed to work as a roustabout. Relevant work experience, for example in shipbuilding or construction, is an advantage.

You must be at least 18, though most companies recruit applicants who are 21 to 30 years old. You must be at least 1.63m (5ft 5ins) tall and physically fit.

Not a fortune, but more than a lot of people get for doing graduate or skilled jobs onshore. It's hard work like, 2 weeks on the rig, 12 hours a day with no days off.

another point to consider is, has anyone really thought twice about getting on a place after the crash a few weeks back in holland? Or a train after one of the major disasters in China/Japan cant remember which. The point is these disatsers do happen and they are horrible for anyone connected but we cannot just stop working because of them, things have to go on, for the thousands who fly by helicopter each it unfortunately has to be accepted as one of the risks of going off shore. Accidents happen in everywork place, this just is unfortnately on a bigger scale than what most are used to.

• Upvote 1

Many people look at a 2/2 or 2/3 rota and think magic! 2 or 3 weeks at home... you forget that you have to do the time offshore as well. You wont find many people who enjoy either the 2 offshore or the 2/3 onshore - alot of my mates are bored out their tits when they're at home as everyone's working during the day, or their mates are on different rota's.

I work 2 on 3 off as a regular offshore rotation. Yes, 3 weeks off is great but 2 on is hard work. Remember, its a 12 hour day 7 days a week. We don't get holidays or bank holidays in leu.

If you were to work out the hours worked, we still do more hours than a regular 9-5 worker with holidays.

The pay is good though. As an electronics engineer on the beach I was earning 30K (Ok that was about 10 years ago) but you can double that offshore. I guess the money pails into insignificance when the choppers fall out the sky.

Regarding this recent crash, some of us here will know Scotty Dallas lost his Dad in the accident. So hold back on the jokes.

I had a skim through the names of the victims earlier but it didn't click until I looked at the photos that one of the guys was a manager at my work for a while until about 2 years ago. He was a really really lovely guy who was always polite and had a good dose of Irish charm in him. He met his fiancee at work and if I remember right, they left within a few months of each other. I'm totally gutted about this. Had no idea he had been working offshore.

My step-dad has been on the rigs for most of his life and is pretty shaken up about this. It really brings it all back home. :(