aberdeen-music

Helicopter ditches in north sea

Guest treader.
What platform was the chopper going to/from?

It was going to one of the BP ones. I cant be any more specific right now, because well...I don't know.

It's the same exact model of helicopter than ditched last month and they were both from Bond AFAIK, so i'm wondering if it's a fault with the chopper or maybe with Bond's way of teaching or whatever

Guest treader.

Things aren't going well for our employees recently.

We lost a few guys in those "Are you British?" shootings, the 6million court case at the end of last year and now this.

Bollocks.

Guest treader.
we don't know that for sure yet. evening express is the only news outlet saying anyones dead and they're hardly reliable.

Sky News is posting the most up-to-date information. I'll tell you what I know as I find out...

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
we don't know that for sure yet. evening express is the only news outlet saying anyones dead and they're hardly reliable.

It was FEARED dead wasn't it? That coming from EE is definitely not saying there's 10 people dead. Fingers crossed that nobody's dead. It's fucking awful though. I think the last one that ditched was either just leaving a platform or preparing to come into the platform, so it was going fairly slow, and was very close for boats to get across etc, which helped massively with everyone surviving.

you really hate the EE and the journals dont you?

This is terrible news, hope there is some good news about survivors.

nope. dunno what gave you that idea. you don't have to hate them to say they're not always reliable. but that's a whole other thread.

doesn't seem to be looking good just now, fingers crossed though.

nope. dunno what gave you that idea. you don't have to hate them to say they're not always reliable. but that's a whole other thread.

doesn't seem to be looking good just now, fingers crossed though.

maybe hate was a strong word, you do have a problem with their reporting of things tho, from what ive seen from other posts, but your right thats another thread, lets not take this one off topic. :)

Yeah, the last one ditched on the approach to the ETAP platform and was only 500 yards or so away from it from what I can recall. Folks on the platform heard it splashing down at any rate, so they weren't far away.

Edit: The preliminary investigation report is here: http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/S3-2009%20G-REDU.pdf

There is fair weather this time though (unlike the last incident where the weather was poor) and during the day, which makes this all the more surprising. Although should at least aid the recovery effort.

Terrible news though.

have they figured out what caused the last one?

Not yet. The final report won't be out until the end of the year. Speculation at this stage is that the terrain avoidance warning system (TAWS) unit was malfunctioning.