aberdeen-music

Helicopter ditches in north sea

it sounds to me that Bond have let their PMRs slip (possibly as a cash saving exercise?) I don't know.

Like I said before, although Bristows, Scotia and Bond all probably have (very) similar business plans/ethics/bottom lines etc etc and so are in teh same situation as each other, I am still gratefull that I am not flying on Bonds, in particular 2nd gen Super Pumas.

Be that because I have been influenced by the media or not, it is what it is!

I'm not saying helicopters are any less safe than they were 2 weeks ago, or that all helicopters should be grounded. I know the reality is that these are isolated incidents. But the fact is that 3 helicopter crashes in the past 6/7 weeks have been heavily documented in the press, last week 16 people lost their lives in a horrible horrible accident. A car accident just isn't quite the same. If a helicopter drops out of the sky, you're chances of surviving are very very minimal.

There is the reason why you would think more about it than a car crash. More people die every week in car crashes compared to helicopter accidents in a year. You just dont get to read about them. Again im not belittling this tragedy in any kind of way.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
There is the reason why you would think more about it than a car crash. More people die every week in car crashes compared to helicopter accidents in a year. You just dont get to read about them. Again im not belittling this tragedy in any kind of way.

I think we're agreeing whilst arguing here. I'm not saying that people should be more scared about going in a helicopter after this, I'm saying they will be because of all the media attention etc. It's just human nature really. We're probably just used to people dying in car crashes all the time and have became numb to it or something.

I wouldnt see why it would affect confindence of Bond, if BP didnt after this kind of disaster there would be more questions asked i would have thought.

I can't see how BP can currently have confidence in Bond because they are no longer using their services until this investigation (that they have initiated as opposed to Bond starting it) is concluded. They are still using helicopters to ferry their contractors, but using different operators.

It's worth bearing in mind that when the other Bond chopper safely ditched in the sea a couple of months ago BP didn't perform any such investigation - even though the outcome of that incident could have easily been as disastrous as this.

For Bond's sake I hope the root cause of all this isn't a maintenance failure of some kind.

An article about this has now popped up on the P&J for those interested: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1162652

yes but 6 weeks ago was pilot error.

which, without sounding too callous...happens! important thing is he ditched it safely and correctly. THAT is what the RGIT trainging is for and what the pilots train for.

a catastrophic mechanical failure during cruise is a different kettle of fish entirely!

I can't see how BP can currently have confidence in Bond because they are no longer using their services until this investigation (that they have initiated as opposed to Bond starting it) is concluded. They are still using helicopters to ferry their contractors, but using different operators.

It's worth bearing in mind that when the other Bond chopper safely ditched in the sea a couple of months ago BP didn't perform any such investigation - even though the outcome of that incident could have easily been as disastrous as this.

For Bond's sake I hope the root cause of all this isn't a maintenance failure of some kind.

An article about this has now popped up on the P&J for those interested: BP halts its helicopter flights deal with Bond - Press & Journal

thats not what you said in your last post tho, or i took it wrong, to me you were saying that because BP are investigating this then it would mean peoples confidence in Bond would be shot, which i disagree with although if ive taken that wrongly then sorry.

As tooms said the other one appears to be pilot error and not mechanical or technical, so they wouldnt investigate it. They do not investigate every incident with helicopters only if they feel it needs it, they have not investigated the CHC helicopter that had fuel probelms earlier this week for that exact reason.

I think we're agreeing whilst arguing here. I'm not saying that people should be more scared about going in a helicopter after this, I'm saying they will be because of all the media attention etc. It's just human nature really. We're probably just used to people dying in car crashes all the time and have became numb to it or something.

yeah i think your right.

I heard from a friend today who's just gone back offshore this morning and their helicopter was delayed in leaving because the one before it had to make an emergency landing. It had bits of metal flying out the exhaust. It was the same kind as the one that crashed.

He told me that he's always nervous when he has to get on the chopper. But this has just heightened all those fears. :(

I heard from a friend today who's just gone back offshore this morning and their helicopter was delayed in leaving because the one before it had to make an emergency landing. It had bits of metal flying out the exhaust. It was the same kind as the one that crashed.

He told me that he's always nervous when he has to get on the chopper. But this has just heightened all those fears. :(

yeah we found that out yesterday as well ("through the grapevine"!)

I'm really looking forward to trip back on Tuesday!! :-(