aberdeen-music

Helicopter ditches in north sea

Not yet. The final report won't be out until the end of the year. Speculation at this stage is that the terrain avoidance warning system (TAWS) unit was malfunctioning.

yeah thats what i got after reading that report seems to be a failure of saftey equipment rather than the actual helicopter.

Ghastly. I'm hugely keen to never have to get on a Helicopter, or a light plane for that matter, you'll probably be OK, but if shit goes bad, there is less chance than on a big jet. Most Aberdonians will know at least one person that works on the rigs, and these disasters bring home the risks they take to make a living. I wouldn't do it, so respect to those that do, and respects to the deceased.

Guest treader.

Fucking hell. A guy at my work (bear in mind they were our employees on the helicopter) just made a joke about it. He must have been thinking it up literally as soon as he heard about it. Way too soon.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

word on pprune is no survivors. chopper has been described as wreckage. one of the RAF sea kings was back on the runway about half an hour ago refuelling and is back out now.

Fucking hell. A guy at my work (bear in mind they were our employees on the helicopter) just made a joke about it. He must have been thinking it up literally as soon as he heard about it. Way too soon.

Kudos to him for thinking that quickly though.

No kudos at all, he sounds like a complete dickhead to me.

Guest treader.
you also congradulated him on making a joke about people who have just died, good stuff.

I congratulated* him on thinking of it as quickly as he did.

I congratulated* him on thinking of it as quickly as he did.

You're a nob.

Very very sad news. I'd imagine it'll have a massive effect on the whole of the north sea. Im not looking forward to going back offshore next week. Here's hoping they never suffered.

This thread is an example of how good this site can be. I wasn't even aware this had happened till this morning and within minutes of opening the thread I've got every link I need to read up about it.

Dunno how people can work offshore, I find the whole idea of being on a rig petrifying. They thoroughly deserve every penny they piss up the wall on booze when they are onshore.

I know not all offshore workers are alkies, my mates definitely are though