aberdeen-music

Helicopter ditches in north sea

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

16 die in North Sea tragedy but the helicopters fly on - The Scotsman

Latest from the Scotsman says 16 dead - though if you actually read the report it says 8 have been found dead, and they are saying due to the conditions etc that the other 8 couldn't have survived, they haven't actually found the other 8 yet. Does not look good though. :(

My thoughts and that of my colleuges go out the famlies involved in this tragedy. Events such as this really bring home the risks undertaken every time its time to suit up. Although statistics will show that there have been very few incidents compared to the amount of flights a year, helicopters are six times more at risk than fixed wing flights and harsh north sea conditions only compound these risks further. Without doubt there will have to be a full investigation into Bond's operations and maintenance schedules. I only hope something can be learnt from all this so that it can be prevented in the future.

Theres a list out here doing the rounds but it's not been made public yet.

BP have grounded all Bond flights and are using Scotia for flights today. The penny pinching that's been going on in the industry lately i.e major operators asking all contractors to go back to 2004/'2005 rates - depending on who you believe, just isn't good for safety. Theres pressure from above to do the same job for less money due to the price of a barrel. We weren't given massive bonuses when the oil price rocketed but when it dips - cuts ahoy!

Don't want to take away anything from this terrible accident, I have to feel for everyone who is anyway involved. But there was also someone crushed to death on the MV Wellservicer yesterday afternoon. Bloody terrible day for the Oil Industry and Aberdeen as a whole

The Wellservicer is part of my companies fleet, Technip UK, mournful day in the office today!

Lady here was telling me the news was concentrating more on Obama shaking the queens hand last night, so she promptly switched off.

Is there any more word, think it's very unlikely survivors will be found now, I hope there is tho

Yeah, I saw the last 10 minutes of the main BBC news at 6 last night. "Our top story tonight, Michelle Obama is making friends with Sarah Brown". What the fuck?! It actually made me turn off too.

gawd thats awful about the guy crushed too, any incident is tragic when it looses a life or even accidents.

My dad had a wheel type thing come down on his head on a rig many years ago, smashing his face against a safety barrier when the pipe was stuck. lucky for him he was wearing a saftey hat. he still had horrific injuries yet he is very lucky to be alive, the pain and worry is horrible and I hope the families get their minds put to rest by finding the others at least!

Yeah, I saw the last 10 minutes of the main BBC news at 6 last night. "Our top story tonight, Michelle Obama is making friends with Sarah Brown". What the fuck?! It actually made me turn off too.

That is absolutely fucking disgusting, and the exact reason why I refuse to watch the news on TV.

Flags are flying here at half mast today - it does seem to be a different atmosphere around here.

a few other points, bond havent been grounded as such, they have decided to suspend all their flights out of respect to the people who have lost their lives from their company, also that story about the guy being involved in the crash 6 weeks ago is false there was no one on both of the two flights.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Where are you getting your info from milner? Just out of interest - you sound like you are in the know.

The story I read had a quote from a guy from Bond who said there was nothing to indicate a fault in the choppers as such, and they still had full faith in them.

So - the EE have made up a story about a guy who died in the crash, saying he was on that previous flight when he wasn't!? That's quite bad.

Where are you getting your info from milner? Just out of interest - you sound like you are in the know.

The story I read had a quote from a guy from Bond who said there was nothing to indicate a fault in the choppers as such, and they still had full faith in them.

So - the EE have made up a story about a guy who died in the crash, saying he was on that previous flight when he wasn't!? That's quite bad.

through work, we all seem to have some connection to the oil!! haha

People in our company are close to a few at Bond and as such have slightly more info than others. Bond have complete faith in their helicopters and see no reason to pull them from service but this is something you would expect to hear from them. It does at the moment appear to be a tragic accident and just coincidental that two have happened so close to each other, at the end of the day i guess you are in far more risk crossing the road than you are getting into a helicopter only the consequences are a lot more severe.