aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Another food blogger asked me if I'd be interested in an Aberdeen baking club. Not really as I'm not much of a baker. But in an effort to be sociable I said I might be if they didn't mind me turning up every month with bread and pizza.

I've just found out the name of this baking club: pinnies and petticoats.

I'll be staying at home then.

Or maybe we should start a men's baking club: baklava and beerbellies.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the flies will gradually leave, but it won't be instant. I had a similar problem last year. A half open pouch of catfood somehow got slid under the microwave unknowingly. Probably because the cats could smell it so went and attacked it, and probably got pushed out of their reach. Sometime later, I lifted up the microwave and found a ton of maggots brawling over rancid catfood. Fucking foul. I totally blitzed the kitchen then. Emptied all the cupboards and everything. Cleaned everywhere. Took a few days to get rid of all the flies. Make sure you don't have any maggots anywhere, otherwise they'll keep breeding and you'll constantly have flies.

I've set a few traps for them, they're falling right into my traps, the dumb fucks. Asides from that I'll just need to keep the place spotless and not leave any plates lying around needing washed etc until they're all gone. Though I should be doing all the time anyway really.

Fucking Recruitment Consultants, particularly the completely inept ones. Today marked the third time someone got in touch with me to ask me if I would be interested in a Senior Economist role at a "major oil and gas company." They start off their message by telling you of all their own qualifications and achievements that make them so speacial and awesome at their job, then to ask me if I'm interested in talking about a senior role. To be a Senior Economist you must have 5 years' experience as an absolute minimum. I have 13 months, therefore this "headhunter" obviously hasn't reviewed my details or my resumé, as I'm blantantly not qualififed for the job. Rather, he has just bashed "economist" into a search engine on Linkedin, or something similar. So this time I decided to reply, saying "yes, I'd definitely be interested in discussing this role." Que a 5 minutes conversation where the guy tells me all about the role, even telling me what company it is for. I humoured him this whole time, basically by going "oh right" or "uh huh" to everything he said. I then unveiled the fact that I am 24, with a bachelor's degree and 13 months' experience, and therefore completely underqualified for the job. This guy then had the audacity to say I'd wasted his time. Que my sort-of-rant about why Recruitment Consultants should do better at their job, to which he hung up on me. He fucking hung up on me!

ARSEHOLE.

• Upvote 5

Fucking Recruitment Consultants, particularly the completely inept ones. Today marked the third time someone got in touch with me to ask me if I would be interested in a Senior Economist role at a "major oil and gas company." They start off their message by telling you of all their own qualifications and achievements that make them so speacial and awesome at their job, then to ask me if I'm interested in talking about a senior role. To be a Senior Economist you must have 5 years' experience as an absolute minimum. I have 13 months, therefore this "headhunter" obviously hasn't reviewed my details or my resumé, as I'm blantantly not qualififed for the job. Rather, he has just bashed "economist" into a search engine on Linkedin, or something similar. So this time I decided to reply, saying "yes, I'd definitely be interested in discussing this role." Que a 5 minutes conversation where the guy tells me all about the role, even telling me what company it is for. I humoured him this whole time, basically by going "oh right" or "uh huh" to everything he said. I then unveiled the fact that I am 24, with a bachelor's degree and 13 months' experience, and therefore completely underqualified for the job. This guy then had the audacity to say I'd wasted his time. Que my sort-of-rant about why Recruitment Consultants should do better at their job, to which he hung up on me. He fucking hung up on me!

ARSEHOLE.

Completely agree with this one. Get it all the time for IT jobs where I'm offered perfectly good jobs or they would be if I was a .Net developer or at all interested in moving to London/Birmingham/Whereverthefuck. Read my CV! I've got 10 years experience, all in Aberdeen and none of it in .Net! Even more annoying is that it's almost always the same company (Abrecco in Edinburgh) that I've told a few times I'm not interested in relocating.

Another pet hate is unsolicited sales calls from LinkedIn. Vendors just seem to trawl LinkedIn for people working for large companies with certain skills that I assume must match their idea of a potential customer. Then they phone the main reception and ask to be put through to me, a man with no purchasing power or ability to sign off on enterprise level software licences. Then I have to endure a sales pitch before spending 5 minutes trying to get rid of them.

ARSEHOLE.

I hear you. I have had similar experiences with agencies looking for QHSE advisors and managers. Whilst I have installed and set-up QHSE systems for small businesses, I have never done it in the oil & gas field, but agencies contact me all the fucking time to discuss roles, and I am under-qualified and under-experienced in every instance. I had an interview at a major oil & gas logistics firm in Aberdeen at the start of the year for a QHSE co-ordinator role, and they tried to tell me that I was over-qualified as they were seeking a trainee. A trainee on £24k a year, no less. They tried to tell me I was more suited to the QHSE advisory role at £36k per year, but they had no openings for that role. They never recruited me because they were worried I'd be off to a competitor as soon as an advisory role became available. Fucking horseshit. I was willing to relocate back to Aberdeen for the trainee role, and they tried to suggest I had wasted their time attending the interview.

3 months later, the very man who interviewed me called me to ask if I'd be interested in a QHSE Manager role for a competitor who asked him for advice on filling the role. He then proceeded to tell me all about the role. He piqued my interest, unquestionably. It sounded like a really worthwhile job. Then he received the official job description and realised I wasn't even nearly qualified or experienced enough. He then expressed regret at not hiring me when he had the opportunity.

Fucking wanker. I really wanted that job.

ARSEHOLE.

Holy shit I'd be raging! You should follow up and complain to his boss.

• Upvote 1

ARSEHOLE.

What recruiter was it, and did you get the guy's name?

I'm just not a complainer. It's a serious character flaw. I could be out at a restaurant and find a dead rat in my rissotto and still rationalise not complaining to the chef. I would have a rant about it on the internet, however.

I returned a dish at a restaurant recently (first time I've ever been bothered enough to do so) because the poached egg was seriously overcooked. Even though they were totally cool with it, apologised and were more than happy to cook another egg I still felt like the one that was being a cunt.

I returned a dish at a restaurant recently (first time I've ever been bothered enough to do so) because the poached egg was seriously overcooked. Even though they were totally cool with it, apologised and were more than happy to cook another egg I still felt like the one that was being a cunt.

I've only returned food twice in my life, both times just because it was cold. Even if it tastes utter balls I'll generally grimace my way through it and say "Yeah it was fine thanks" when they ask if everything was OK.

I've only returned food twice in my life, both times just because it was cold. Even if it tastes utter balls I'll generally grimace my way through it and say "Yeah it was fine thanks" when they ask if everything was OK.

Yeah me too (then I write it up on the blog as terrible). But I love a runny poached egg and was really, really disappointed when I cut open a rubbery solid yolk.

Completely agree with this one. Get it all the time for IT jobs where I'm offered perfectly good jobs or they would be if I was a .Net developer or at all interested in moving to London/Birmingham/Whereverthefuck. Read my CV! I've got 10 years experience, all in Aberdeen and none of it in .Net! Even more annoying is that it's almost always the same company (Abrecco in Edinburgh) that I've told a few times I'm not interested in relocating.

Another pet hate is unsolicited sales calls from LinkedIn. Vendors just seem to trawl LinkedIn for people working for large companies with certain skills that I assume must match their idea of a potential customer. Then they phone the main reception and ask to be put through to me, a man with no purchasing power or ability to sign off on enterprise level software licences. Then I have to endure a sales pitch before spending 5 minutes trying to get rid of them.

I've started to get these as well, but the receptionist at my company will phone through and ask if I want to speak to them first, I usually just say no and she just gets rid of them.