aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Hate the taste/consistency of meat, Quorn just reminds me how much I dislike meat (and chemicals), but I stomach it anyway... Eggs are smelly and can't be eaten for every meal, so end up living on disgusting protein powders so I don't die. Suggestions, anyone?

Have you tried tofu? Outside of the 'meat substitutes' nuts are high in protein (I know guys doing weight training who used to eat tonnes of peanut butter for breakfast). It varies but most beans are high in protein and soy milk is pretty high protein too. When I am cooking and looking to bulk up food go to the tinned pulses aisle and buy loads of different types of beans. They are great for making chilli/bolognese/burritos and soups with. Also somewhat bizarrely cheese strings have a fair amount of protein and are pretty low in fat.

Also you must be buying cheap protein powder. The stuff I have isn't too bad at all (I have tried various myprotein products due to a handy discount I got a while back). You can also get meal replacement shakes and other stuff like flapjacks/cookies/bars that are high in protein and usually taste fine if you want a bit of variety instead of just protein shakes., it's just the weird dry texture that makes them hard to eat.

Have you tried tofu? Outside of the 'meat substitutes' nuts are high in protein (I know guys doing weight training who used to eat tonnes of peanut butter for breakfast). It varies but most beans are high in protein and soy milk is pretty high protein too. When I am cooking and looking to bulk up food go to the tinned pulses aisle and buy loads of different types of beans. They are great for making chilli/bolognese/burritos and soups with. Also somewhat bizarrely cheese strings have a fair amount of protein and are pretty low in fat.

Also you must be buying cheap protein powder. The stuff I have isn't too bad at all (I have tried various myprotein products due to a handy discount I got a while back). You can also get meal replacement shakes and other stuff like flapjacks/cookies/bars that are high in protein and usually taste fine if you want a bit of variety instead of just protein shakes., it's just the weird dry texture that makes them hard to eat.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have tried tofu and it tastes good, but I try to avoid anything with soy in it because of the apparent risks I've been reading about. No idea whether to believe it or not.

I buy "Pulsin' Pea Protein Powder" and it tastes awful (it takes me over an hour to eat breakfast because of this), but I mostly look for natural stuff and haven't found an alternative yet. Only problem with beans is that they tent to bloat my stomach at times and nuts are too high in fat to have more than a handful in a day. I forgot about the protein bars though! Will have to get myself some.

I do wonder if tofu is good for you in very small quantities...

And Chris, choc milk = high in sugar. I'm fussy like that, though it does taste good. Bean casserole could be an idea, thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions! I have tried tofu and it tastes good, but I try to avoid anything with soy in it because of the apparent risks I've been reading about. No idea whether to believe it or not.

I buy "Pulsin' Pea Protein Powder" and it tastes awful (it takes me over an hour to eat breakfast because of this), but I mostly look for natural stuff and haven't found an alternative yet. Only problem with beans is that they tent to bloat my stomach at times and nuts are too high in fat to have more than a handful in a day. I forgot about the protein bars though! Will have to get myself some.

I do wonder if tofu is good for you in very small quantities...

And Chris, choc milk = high in sugar. I'm fussy like that, though it does taste good. Bean casserole could be an idea, thanks!

Tofu is a staple food in the far east where they traditionally don't each much meat. It definitely isn't 'bad' for you in moderation. I just went and checked the 'health concerns' and a lot of it has little to no evidence. Be wary of what you read on the internet without doing your own research. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu#Health_issues says pretty much the same thing.

That pea protein powder stuff is pretty expensive. Whilst you may not like the idea, the stuff designed for athletes/training is a bit cheaper and they generally do taste better. Totally understand if you want to stick to the natural stuff though. I am not sure how this pea protein stuff is or even how you use it in a protein context but the protein shakes are good. You can buy unflavoured too and just throw it in with porridge or your meal of choice instead of being stuck with 2.27kg or powder to have. I also have some meal replacement shakes which are good if you are in a rush for breakfast. They contain low GI carbs so you get a slow energy release. Both are alright tasting in water and a bit nicer in skimmed milk, but if you just want the added protein the pure whey is the best choice.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/true_whey is the stuff I use. I have had their protein bars and other products too and the flavoured stuff has always been palatable, if a little synthetic tasting. The chocolate orange protein bars were amazing though, tasted like terry's chocolate orange! But they were very dry and it was a struggle to finish one. http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/true_mrp are the meal replacement shakes.

If you go to puregym they have myprotein stuff in the vending machines, never used them so don't know what flavours. I am sure you can order trial sized packs though if you just want to try them without committing to a large pack. I am sure if there are any supplements stores in town they will have small packs to buy as well.

With regards to nuts - yes they are high in fat, but they are sources of unsatured fats (ie the healthy ones that your body uses a lot of) which you should have 70g of per day. Can't remember exactly but I am pretty sure nuts are about 50% fat so you could have 50g every few days and still have 45g to play about with to still

be inside the recommended guidelines.

A fun fact about chocolate milk - I remember reading a study stating it was better at rehydrating after sport than isotonic sports drinks. I wouldn't use it as a source of protein but if you want something to boost your energy pre/post workout you could do worse!