aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I've found that the usual perpetrators tend to be well-off, middle-aged women from rural areas. It can't even really be a laziness thing

You'll find loads of people brought up in Aberdeenshire do it, not just middle class women. It's not a laziness thing it's just part of the doric dialect.

Right.

I don't even really know how to describe this properly, so I googled it (I didn't even really know what to search, so I looked for "sharp intake of breath for "aye" in Aberdeen" and it led me here which described it pretty well)

"the Gaelic gasp".

What IS that all about, really?!! Several of my customers seem to do it usually when I'm explaining something to them. Instead of nodding and saying "yes", they sort of just jerk their heads a bit and take a sharp breath that sort of sounds like they're saying "aye" in agreement, but also doing this at the same time. It properly annoys me. Why the fuck would you inflict a speech impediment on yourself? I'd not come across it until earlier this year, but now I just seem to hear it all the time. I've found that the usual perpetrators tend to be well-off, middle-aged women from rural areas. It can't even really be a laziness thing, I've tried describing it to folk and demonstrating it and it properly hurts your throat. Honestly. Just why?

I personally love it. You sometimes encounter multiples in a rapid fire style too, aaaaaye-haye-haye-haye-haye-haye, where one inhalation is divided into short, sharp blasts.

• Upvote 3

I do that ironically all the time. My entire extended family do it, especially my grandparents. It's ace.

Me: "Cup of tea, Granda?"

Granda: "Haaye, haaye"

Me: "Haaye haaye haaye"

The last "haaye" is quieter than the others because my inhale of air is dissipating.

Tea made. Snooker watched. A good time all round.

• Upvote 1

On the back of my post on New Year thread and appropriate for this very time of the year - Drunk People

I seem to be a magnet for these no self-restraint cunts whenever I go out.

Last night my partner and I went to The Butchers in Inverurie to see my mates band (and get some set list ideas :) ).

The evening was fine enough except for some drunken wee twat who felt the need to wrap his arm round me and bawl incoherently into my ear every 2 minutes.

"Gwwwarrrrr.....rarrrrrr....fuckin.....mwahhhhhhhhh....ken......but......fukkin....raaaaaaaaaar"

Is this my punishment for being Scottish and only a moderate drinker who knows when to quit?

I do that ironically all the time. My entire extended family do it, especially my grandparents. It's ace.

Me: "Cup of tea, Granda?"

Granda: "Haaye, haaye"

Me: "Haaye haaye haaye"

The last "haaye" is quieter than the others because my inhale of air is dissipating.

Tea made. Snooker watched. A good time all round.

A lot of my more teuchter-y family do it. My Dad, who's from Mintlaw does it constantly, especially when he's on the phone, and my uncle Bill from Stuartfield does it a lot too. It's quite funny listening to them talking to each other because whenever one of them isn't speaking they're doing short sharp "haye. haye. haye"s.

Living with an inconsiderate cunt. She's has been away since mid December, and last night some random guy walked into the flat. I was on my own, sitting in my pyjamas, and had no idea who the fuck this guy was. Turned out my flatmate has given him her keys to sleep in her room over New Year. I had no idea about this whatsoever. She's adamant she told me, well a fucking note on the fridge before she left would have been appreciated. Or a text "reminding" us, as she's always banging on about how you need to take responsibility for your visitors.

Worst thing is, he tried to open my door at about 3am, I'm lucky I had locked it. When he showed himself to her bedroom, my door was wide open so he would have known it wasn't the bloody bathroom. Especially since he used the bathroom before he left.

I was too uncomfortable this morning to bring it up, because again I was on my own in the flat.

She is an inconsiderate fuck at times, and that bloke is not welcome back.

Living with an inconsiderate cunt. She's has been away since mid December, and last night some random guy walked into the flat. I was on my own, sitting in my pyjamas, and had no idea who the fuck this guy was. Turned out my flatmate has given him her keys to sleep in her room over New Year. I had no idea about this whatsoever. She's adamant she told me, well a fucking note on the fridge before she left would have been appreciated. Or a text "reminding" us, as she's always banging on about how you need to take responsibility for your visitors.

Worst thing is, he tried to open my door at about 3am, I'm lucky I had locked it. When he showed himself to her bedroom, my door was wide open so he would have known it wasn't the bloody bathroom. Especially since he used the bathroom before he left.

I was too uncomfortable this morning to bring it up, because again I was on my own in the flat.

She is an inconsiderate fuck at times, and that bloke is not welcome back.

That sounds like a cunt punt offence that one. Get her telt.

Pet hate of the day is getting home and finding someone has fucked off with my supply of hangover cranberry flavoured MacB, and there's no Nurofen going. Cunnnnts.

She does sound like a fanny. If you don't want to pin her down and punch her face repeatedly until she no longer has a face, you should resort to being passive aggressive, just so she knows you mean business. You could keep shutting off the hot water whenever she has a shower. Or you could set up a domestic booby trap, like Home Alone. Get her to stand sharp toys and set fire to her head. Etc.

Nothing says "Your housemate thinks you're a cunt" like pissing in the milk.

I approve of the name Buttslag. Very much.

The flatmate I'm moaning about has lived here the longest, so obviously feels she runs the flat basically. Even though she collects dirty dishes in her room, never empties the bin, takes up the most room in the fridge and is pretty fucking bad at managing the petty cash... Just can't stand dirty girls basically. Boys are messy by nature, not dirty, just a bit untidy so I don't mind my boys leaving stuff around. I love them to bits and cook for them when they're working late haha :)

yeah found myself doing it too now, mostly due to offshore mannies doing it and it being contagious.

I started off doing in ironically......now I have fallen into the trap and cant stop. Curses to our glorious language.

Me and my friends all do it too. Can't remember how it started, but it's been a few years now and I'll very occasionally do it without realising it.

We're also trying to get our phrase 'fine rare' into circulation as we believe it sounds like exactly the thing old people from the northeast would say. I'm hoping 2012 could be the year it goes global.