aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Streaming on Myspace is so 2005. All the cool kids these days listen through their mobiles.

I have an R Kelly song on my mobile, to keep up with technology. How come mine doesn't go as loud as the kids on the bus' phones?

Aye, but you're still dragging within iTunes. What Phil and I were talking about was just using windows explorer to drag the album folders from a hard drive to your MP3 player, no proprietary software getting in the way.

Oh I see now. Wouldn't that stop the sorting by artist/album etc from working? When I dragged and dropped with my Creative Zen it didn't sort the files, even though they were appropriately tagged.

Worst Mp3 player I ever had was a 20gb Ministry of Sound thing. It came pre-installed with some MOS Chillout anthems which I just couldn't fucking delete. It also froze for 30 seconds when a song finished. Sometimes longer than 30 seconds. Pube sandwich.

Oh I see now. Wouldn't that stop the sorting by artist/album etc from working? When I dragged and dropped with my Creative Zen it didn't sort the files, even though they were appropriately tagged.

I don't suppose there's any reason why an MP3 player can't have a built in library that scans the folders on it's internal storage and creates a database using the tags. It just means having that program on the firmware rather than the PC software.

My 160gb Classic has survived numerous scrapes and knocks in the 2 years I've had it. Been used around 5-6 hours every single day and the battery life is still brilliant (I was shocked when the quoted 40 hour battery life actually lasted that long). Only problem I've had is that it tends to stop playing for 2-3 seconds every 30 mins or so but I figure that's just the trade off for being so fucking careless with it. Best MP3 player I've had.

My 160gb Classic has survived numerous scrapes and knocks in the 2 years I've had it. Been used around 5-6 hours every single day and the battery life is still brilliant (I was shocked when the quoted 40 hour battery life actually lasted that long). Only problem I've had is that it tends to stop playing for 2-3 seconds every 30 mins or so but I figure that's just the trade off for being so fucking careless with it. Best MP3 player I've had.
When was the last time you reset it (press and hold centre button adn menu)? Cos resetting it may actually sovle your 2-3 sec delay problems.

I was initially an ipod sceptic, thinking that they were just a style over substance product. But when I got one to replace my knackered Creative Zen, I was won over. The ease of use is incredible, and I can use winamp to manage it, ace! Ropey sound was fixed by buying decent headphones, ipods all the way!

I have an 80GB (I think?) iPod classic, and it's been awesome since I got it. No problems whatsoever, although there are a couple of annoying things, like a song appearing twice in an album if it's in a playlist as well. Apart from that, it's all rad.

new pet hate: those croc shoe/sandal/whatevers. It doesn't matter who you are, or what you're like, you're automatically a prick for wearing them.

When was the last time you reset it (press and hold centre button adn menu)? Cos resetting it may actually sovle your 2-3 sec delay problems.

Nah, I've had to reset it a couple times and it's made no difference. I've read a few other people suffering similar problems with the 160gb model though. It doesn't bother me because as I say it occurs maybe once or twice during an album- it's a mild nuisance at most.

Nah, I've had to reset it a couple times and it's made no difference. I've read a few other people suffering similar problems with the 160gb model though. It doesn't bother me because as I say it occurs maybe once or twice during an album- it's a mild nuisance at most.

The ipod uses a solid state buffer to hold about 20 minutes of music to prevent skipping, perhaps the problem is to do with that buffer refreshing or something. Not that it helps you fix it if it is.

Is there a way of iTunes findng artwork for the albums that are already on my iPod (but not on my computer?). I'm way too anal about stuff like this but I've been putting it off for ages, but the "Gert Artwork" option seems to do nothing. If iTunes can't do it, then I'll just sit and manually upload for each one. Infact, I've already made a start. I did all the A's last night. The rest of the alphabet is letting down my iPod now.

Is there a way of iTunes findng artwork for the albums that are already on my iPod (but not on my computer?). I'm way too anal about stuff like this but I've been putting it off for ages, but the "Gert Artwork" option seems to do nothing. If iTunes can't do it, then I'll just sit and manually upload for each one. Infact, I've already made a start. I did all the A's last night. The rest of the alphabet is letting down my iPod now.

That will use up shiteloads of memory though will it not? I try to delete artwork that has automatically loaded onto my Pod for that reason....perhaps you are cool with that however...

That will use up shiteloads of memory though will it not? I try to delete artwork that has automatically loaded onto my Pod for that reason....perhaps you are cool with that however...

I believe ipod artwork is displayed at something like 200x200. So the image files should only be about 40k in size, hardly anything really. Without using artwork you might squeeze an extra song or two on but then you miss out on the silliness of coverflow.

It's not just coverflow, its the music game. I really need to flex my musical muscle. I'm sick of the same 5 or 6 album covers coming up in the questions, asking me "Which group wrote this masterpiece" and it says the fucking BEASTIE BOYS across the front in great big white letters. Reissues catch me out all the time. "When was this classic released". 1986? FUCK NO! 2007, YOU CUNT!

I'm also uploading very small album covers. each one is about 40kb. I have about 400 or so albums on there, and the iPod itself is 120gb. Should be alright for space, considering the 400 albums is only just pushing 30gb

I got a pair of Crocs for wearing about the house of an evening. They are amazingly comfy. I wouldn't wear them as going out footwear though.

I wanted to mark you down for owning crocs, but...

If this makes me a prick in the eyes of some gimpy indie kid I can live with that.

...then you redeemed yourself with this, have some rep.

It's not just coverflow, its the music game. I really need to flex my musical muscle. I'm sick of the same 5 or 6 album covers coming up in the questions, asking me "Which group wrote this masterpiece" and it says the fucking BEASTIE BOYS across the front in great big white letters. Reissues catch me out all the time. "When was this classic released". 1986? FUCK NO! 2007, YOU CUNT!

I'm also uploading very small album covers. each one is about 40kb. I have about 400 or so albums on there, and the iPod itself is 120gb. Should be alright for space, considering the 400 albums is only just pushing 30gb

Exactly the same reason why I started downloading artwork for all the albums on my iPod. Only, it took me about 8 hours to get as far as D and I got pissed off.

I also went through and took all the dates out of Greatest Hits albums for the sake of that music game. Cos it would play something by The Doors for example and say "Is this track from 1999?" and I'd say no, obviously cos Jim Morrison had been dead for 30 years by that point. And I would be wrong, because it would be off the Gretaest Hits album from 1999.

Here's my iPod filing system.

All albums must have the artwork and date included. I will then copy and paste the date into the "Sort Album" field, followed by the album name (the reason for this will become clear) - For example - "1970 Bridge Over Troubled Water" (this is just the Sort Album name - not the actual album name)

All live albums have the date removed and in the "Sort Album" field I put in the number 9997 followed by the album name - eg "Live In New York"

All greatest hits albums have the date removed, and in the "Sort Album" field I put in the the number 9998 followed by the album name - for example - "9998 Essential Simon & Garfunkel"

Any compilation CDs have the date removed, and have the number 9999 input into the Sort Album name - eg "9999 Garden State Soundtrack"

This means that when I open Simon & Garfunkel on my iPod, I get, all their studio albums, in CHRONOLOGICAL order at the top, NOT alphabetical, then I get all their live albums, then I get a list of all their Greatest Hits albums, then I get the all the compilations they are featured on. No fucking jumbled around nonsense.

It takes a while to set up but it makes your library a lot more manageable, especially if you've got a lot of stuff by the same artist. It doesn't make that much of a difference when you're inItunes cos you can just click on stuff but when you're using the iPod and you're fucking about with the scroll wheel it's much faster

Example:

toons_original.jpg

ha ha I actually feel quite settled...I reckon anything will unsettle my normal routine

I'm just gonna marry myself.....there. ha ha

starting to sound like a right relationship hater....nope but I will get one in my own time no rush!

If your a nae bad cook then I will marry you :up:

New pet hate...Sales calls on my work number from some mobile phone place I wasn't signed up with..

Telling me my mobile phone contract is up for renewal. I politely told them it wasn't and to have a very nice day before I placed the receiver back on the Telephone.

Tossers

If your a nae bad cook then I will marry you :up:

New pet hate...Sales calls on my work number from some mobile phone place I wasn't signed up with..

Telling me my mobile phone contract is up for renewal. I politely told them it wasn't and to have a very nice day before I placed the receiver back on the Telephone.

Tossers

Well I do like to cook! :love: haha

I have a lightweight, waterproof, "breathable" jacket that I've been taking to work with me at the moment. Mainly because I lack a normal lightweight summer jacket. It's been raining a bit today so I wore it to work and when I went into town just now to pick something up.

Tell me this, what is the point of a waterproof jacket that, when you put it on, makes you sweat so much you might as well have walked about in the rain without it?

Useless piece of crap.

I wanted to mark you down for owning crocs, but...

...then you redeemed yourself with this, have some rep.

Aw thanks. I don't think I've seen an item of footwear receive so much ridicule since those 4 stripe trainers that the 'scruffy' kid at school used to wear.

I don't care, my feet are comfy within my own home. And my 2 year old son likes to steal them and shuffle around in them as well.

Guest idol_wild
I have a lightweight, waterproof, "breathable" jacket that I've been taking to work with me at the moment. Mainly because I lack a normal lightweight summer jacket. It's been raining a bit today so I wore it to work and when I went into town just now to pick something up.

Tell me this, what is the point of a waterproof jacket that, when you put it on, makes you sweat so much you might as well have walked about in the rain without it?

Useless piece of crap.

I feel your pain. And your moisture. Not literally, though, as that'd be disturbing.

But I used to have this horrible fucking pink and blue (this was waaay before pink became popular amongst repressed in-the-closet bum grapes that we now refer to as "neds", "chavs", "pikeys" or, my favourite, "cunts") waterproof set of jacket and leggings for when I used to play golf, and it had the same effect. I would sweat absolute buckets.

Hey, maybe it contributed to my massive weight loss in my late teens. I sweated off the flab. Awesome. So yeah, actually, I'm sticking up for these waterproof sweat-inducing garments. Fuck it.

YAY FOR CRAPPY WATERPROOF GARMENTS THAT MAKE YOU SWEAT.