aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest Gladstone
In Aberdonian, twenty = twitty.

But the second two "t"s are silent.

"Twi-eeh"

I've been trying to get into the habit of pronouncing my t's for years, but after about 20 years+ of having a broad buchan accent (which I don't mind at all), which has transformed into somewhat of a mix between doric and toonser (which I hate, but can't seem to shake off) after years of living in Aberdeen, I actually have to think to pronounce my t's, and sometimes forget, especially in words like butter. It always comes out "buh-er". I just think it makes me sound like a moron (which I probably am, so maybe I should just stop trying...)

I just remembered I have an amusing anecdote regarding this. My ex-missus is American and she had a cat called Kitty, imaginatively enough, and the cat would respond to her name but only if I pronounced it Kiddy.

I learned to speak American hella good.

I had a bluetooth headset which had voice recognition, you press the button on it and say the name of the person you want to phone and it finds them in your phone book and rings them. Only problem is it only understands you if you say it in an American accent. I used to find myself hurtling down the dual carriageway at 80mph yelling, "Mom!" or "Mardin!" trying to get the bastard thing to work.

Guest Gladstone
I had to start overly pronouncing my T's to make my accent as neutral as possible when I moved up here, due to working at the fines office in the sheriff court.. The toothless druggies from Torry couldn't understand a word I was saying. Who'd a thunk it?

You worked in the fines office in the Sheriff Court?

I worked for a year in the Sheriff Court before going back to uni. Did 3 months in the fines office. Amazing job...

You worked in the fines office in the Sheriff Court?

I worked for a year in the Sheriff Court before going back to uni. Did 3 months in the fines office. Amazing job...

It was an experience, thats for true. I was told I was going to be kept on too, then one Friday with 5 minutes to go before I finished, I got the "Thanks for all your help" speel and that was it. Stationary in a box. The lot. He even tried to shake my hand and told me "No need to wait til the end of the day, you can get yourself off now if you like". Thanks! Clever guy actually. He was using courtesy as a ploy to make sure I didn't walk out with a couple of grand stuffed down my pants.

I refused the hand shake though. That was quite satisfying. He didn't like that. He looked at me like I'd wiped my arse with his mouse pad.

I had a bluetooth headset which had voice recognition, you press the button on it and say the name of the person you want to phone and it finds them in your phone book and rings them. Only problem is it only understands you if you say it in an American accent. I used to find myself hurtling down the dual carriageway at 80mph yelling, "Mom!" or "Mardin!" trying to get the bastard thing to work.

Haha! You know, I had the same problem talking to 50% of Americans on the phone and now I sound half yank myself as a result :down:

The first real sun in a couple of weeks really brings out the people doesn't it? Union Street is rammed, thus vastly upping the rate of people who like to come to a complete sudden halt for no reason. Just now on my lunch me and my torso went right into the back of some ruffian with his cap barely on because he stopped walking. I thought I was going to get knifed, but luckily he was a total Jessie, like most neds. Man, I didn't even apologise, because I'm so brave.

Walking past the doors into the Trinity Centre can be a nightmare on busy weekends, as shoppers spew out onto the already packed pavements and everybody just gets confused and doesn't know what to do so they all just stop and shuffle through the crowd. The bus stop outside Virgin is also a nightmare as the people waiting for the bus take up half the pavement, plus people coming in and out of shops on the other side, there just isn't enough room. Pedestrianisation (is that really a word?) will make a big difference.

I'm not feeling all that comfortable with what appears to be a perfectly aligning bathroom schedule, involving me, and some guy from down the corridor. Everytime I go for a piss, there he is, already pissing, or just finishing up. The cubicle next to me was occupied when I went for my morning dump. I bet it was him. Stop it!!

People who use the word "sleeps", ie "6 sleeps till I wipe my arse" etc etc. If you're not fucking three years old, then just say "days".

I've been doing this recently.... I'm going on holiday in just over a week and I'm so excited that I feel like a 3 year old waiting for Christmas!!

I'll make sure I don't use it on here!!