aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Hobbit 2 - pretty shite but nae too shit, maybe a bit less shit than the first one.

Nausicaa of the valley of the  wind - watched over the course of a week so I've got no idea what it's about really, pretty trippy insect dudes and a stupid tree hugger type protagnist. Not a bad Studio Ghibli but Laputa beats the shit out of it every day. Better than Princess Mononoke though - however the fuck you spell it.

Withnail & I - Still fuckin' ace.

Hobbit 2: Maybe a bit long but I didn't mind. I enjoyed the whole thing and didn't think ay part of it was being dragged out. Mind you, I love the LOTR films so I expected as much.

Boils my piss how liberally they go from Elvish to English though. Pick one and stick to it you fucking pointy eared pricks.

The Shining - Pretty good. Full of wut though.

Which one? The original Kubrick one I'm assuming? The other one is pretty pish even though it follows the book alot more.

Oh, the other one was a TV mini series...I watched it all in a oner years ago and just thought it was a fucking whoorin long movie.

Edited by Teabags

Which one? The original Kubrick one I'm assuming? The other one is pretty pish even though it follows the book alot more.

Oh, the other one was a TV mini series...I watched it all in a oner years ago and just thought it was a fucking whoorin long movie.

The original. But I assume it wasn't a directors cut because Room 237 was going on about scenes I didn't see.

Looking back The Shining was a terrific movie and meant for a pretty cool discussion with the mrs about "what it was all about".

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

Olypmpus has fallen: got to admit its a pretty good action film but not as good as White House down but a lot more realistic and more tension with the cheesy countdown that stops the bomb on 1 second, I liked it but White House down is better as a lot more action and better story line

Olympus Has Fallen: Die Hard but in the White House, basically. Terrible film IMO. Only watched it because it was the best of a very bad bunch on my last trip to Ghana.

I watched Fast and Furious 6 recently.  I am a huge fan of the film series, in that they are easily the most ridiculous films in production at the moment.  Like, more ridiculous than the premise of Transformers.  6 really stepped it up from the bank vault trailing through Rio city centre escapades of 5.  The Rock is just ridiculously brilliant.  It's really fun to watch films like this, as every 2-3 minutes you can pick out enormous plot holes and it makes you feel smart.  Seriously though, some of the most ridiculous stuff ever to make it into a movie is in F&F6.  Characters repeatedly do things that would definitely kill them, but seem unharmed by grevious injury.  This scene imbued myself and my friends with an enormous sense of glee: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXQUpvIOUQ

Can you get any more ridicous than this?

The dialogue throughout the film is scattered with that 80s action movie machismo, that is so dated it makes 80s action films enjoyable in the present day.  When executed in a filmm from 2012, it becomes unbearably great. 

10/10

I watched Fast and Furious 6 recently.  I am a huge fan of the film series, in that they are easily the most ridiculous films in production at the moment.  Like, more ridiculous than the premise of Transformers.  6 really stepped it up from the bank vault trailing through Rio city centre escapades of 5.  The Rock is just ridiculously brilliant.  It's really fun to watch films like this, as every 2-3 minutes you can pick out enormous plot holes and it makes you feel smart.  Seriously though, some of the most ridiculous stuff ever to make it into a movie is in F&F6.  Characters repeatedly do things that would definitely kill them, but seem unharmed by grevious injury.  This scene imbued myself and my friends with an enormous sense of glee: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXQUpvIOUQ

Can you get any more ridicous than this?

The dialogue throughout the film is scattered with that 80s action movie machismo, that is so dated it makes 80s action films enjoyable in the present day.  When executed in a filmm from 2012, it becomes unbearably great. 

10/10

Yes!! What a scene!!

I was watching Fast Five the other night, and the scene with Vin driving the valt back across the bridge on his own, and i was thinking he has just killed about 30 Police officers with that thing attached to his car, and not one single ambulance shows up to help anyone, just the rock, who shoots the only person who has survived the ordeal! Brilliant Filmage. 

Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of  Tribe Called Quest

Very good documentary although it's a bit of a shame how Q-Tip and Phife both come across as dicks a lot of the time. But the parts about the early days of the group and all the Native Tongues stuff is real good and there's obviously loads of god music throughout.

The Heat - Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock in a buddy cop comedy. McCarthy is funny but I didn't really care for the film.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - I was excited for this because I've been watching I'm Alan Partridge again, I did not like this though. This Alan Partridge bore almost no resemblance to the character from the TV series, it was like a different character, and the film was stupid crap.

Les Miserables - I absolutely loved this. A lot of LM fanboys were up in arms about it, especially the casting and their vocal performances, but I thought it was about as close to perfect as it could be. Hugh Jackman was terrific as Jean Valjean, and Anne Hathaway as Fantine, good singer but made up for her vocal weaknesses with terrific acting. Definitely deserved that Oscar. Amanda Sieyfried was really good as Cosette. Also whoever played Eponine was terrific as well. I know the studio would have wanted bankable movie stars in it instead of theatre people but the ones they did get performed admirably, and outside the main cast they padded it out with real singers. The only really bad one was Russell Crowe as Javert, he was monosyllabic, didn't sing with any power and was autotuned throughout. This was a terrific journey though. Epic musical numbers and camera work, great performances, emotional as hell, I enjoyed every second of it.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - I was excited for this because I've been watching I'm Alan Partridge again, I did not like this though. This Alan Partridge bore almost no resemblance to the character from the TV series, it was like a different character, and the film was stupid crap.

I thought much the same. I really thought it would be brilliant, but it had nothing at all to do with the TV series really, and why does chief O'Brian always end up with these roles as bad guys?! 

Edited by The Milner

Get out.

• Upvote 2

Hated: GG Allin and The Murder Junkies (Merle & Dino Commentary)

A nice hour long interview with Merle and Dino from The Murder Junkies, giving a bit of backround to how the band came to be, and a little info on bits in the original documentary. Pretty Cool.

Punk: Attitude

Documentary about punk, it's roots, and where it's ended up. Not a lot of Blink 182 fans in this by the looks of things. Great watch though.

Henry Rollins: 50

A live thing from Henry Rollins, telling anecdotes and preaching to the choir. Another great watch.

Youtube is fantastic sometimes.

The Square - probably the best documentary I've seen in a good few years. It's about the recent Egyptian revolution. Really well balanced and totally gripping. I think it's on Netflix so do seek it out if you get the chance. It's so informative and inspiring I actually think it should be shown in schools. It breaks down the whole situation in a very digestible way without being overly dramatic or sensationalist and made me want to be more Proactive when it comes to issues I feel strongly about. Pretty much blew me away.

Star Trek: Wrath Of Khan Into Darkness

Out of context, as a standalone film, this is a fantastic couple of hours entertainment.  Brilliant sci-fi action movie.  Simon Pegg is much less annoying than in the first film and Cumberbatch is fucking awesome as a villain.  Top marks again to Karl Urban though.  Brilliant as Bones.

In context, as a Star Trek film, it was a bit irritating.  Is this what we're getting now?  Remakes of the whole series (but with surprise twists) instead of new adventures?  I could just about accept the premise of the first film that effectively hit reset without losing any of the previous canon.  It still left it open for new stuff along the original timeline.  But if all they're going to do with the characters is retread the old stories then it's a massive wasted opportunity.

Out of context, as a standalone film, this is a fantastic couple of hours entertainment.  Brilliant sci-fi action movie.  Simon Pegg is much less annoying than in the first film and Cumberbatch is fucking awesome as a villain.  Top marks again to Karl Urban though.  Brilliant as Bones.

In context, as a Star Trek film, it was a bit irritating.  Is this what we're getting now?  Remakes of the whole series (but with surprise twists) instead of new adventures?  I could just about accept the premise of the first film that effectively hit reset without losing any of the previous canon.  It still left it open for new stuff along the original timeline.  But if all they're going to do with the characters is retread the old stories then it's a massive wasted opportunity.

You should check out his TV show Almost Human.

Exactly how i feel.

They are decent enough films on their own, but for me they are not Star Trek films, they are just Sci-fi hollywood action films now. It makes me sad.