aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Movie 43.

Some mentally-unstable man with a gun pitches really, really terrible, gross, offensive movie ideas, and those pitches are acted by semi-famous actors.

It is one of the worst films I've ever seen, though I did laugh a fair bit, at how ridiculous it was.

2 outta 10.

I watched this tonight. I do agree the "plot" that binds it all together was utter shit, but I thought most (not all) of the sketches were funny as hell. Bawdy, gross-out humour. Gets me every time. Fuck knows how they got that cast. "Yeah, hi Hugh Jackman? We'd like you to play a guy who has balls on his neck. And could you ring Kate Winslet, and see if she'll be do the scene with you?". 

Seven Pounds - Drama starring Will Smith which I can't really describe without giving away the plot. It was really good the first time I saw it, but it lost something on rewatch when I knew the ending. Not a light, breezy Sunday night movie. Heavy going. Tugs at the heart strings a bit. A few massive plotholes, but it doesn't spoil it too much. 

Major League - A childhood favourite that I haven't watched since I was a teenager. Baseball comedy. The owner of the Cleveland Indians deliberately drafts in the worst baseball players she can find in order to finish dead last so she can break contract and move the team to Miami. It was probably 90% nostalgia (I could still quote most of the lines before they happened) but I really really enjoyed it. Even Charlie Sheen, who I can't stand. I even got goose bumps during the "Wild Thing" scene.

Movie 43.

Some mentally-unstable man with a gun pitches really, really terrible, gross, offensive movie ideas, and those pitches are acted by semi-famous actors.

It is one of the worst films I've ever seen, though I did laugh a fair bit, at how ridiculous it was.

2 outta 10.

I enjoyed watching some of the vignettes on youtube, but I can't imagine that watching them as part of a feature length film would be particularly satisfying.

Johnny Knoxville fighting a leprechaun, Chris Pratt shitting himself after being hit by a car.  Great.

Zero Dark Thirty

Not quite as America Fuck Yeah as I thought it was going to be. Excellently put together film about the hunt for Bin Laden. Not sure how accurate it is (don't imagine that a 10 year hunt was soley down to one CIA analyst) but it's an interesting insight into what's been happening since 9/11.  Found the torture scenes early on very uncomfortable to watch.  Obviously it's going to be pro-American being seen through that viewpoint, but it could have been much more overtly flag waving. I think it gets the tone about right for what is still a fictionalised account of what happened.

Zero Dark Thirty

Not quite as America Fuck Yeah as I thought it was going to be. Excellently put together film about the hunt for Bin Laden. Not sure how accurate it is (don't imagine that a 10 year hunt was soley down to one CIA analyst) but it's an interesting insight into what's been happening since 9/11.  Found the torture scenes early on very uncomfortable to watch.  Obviously it's going to be pro-American being seen through that viewpoint, but it could have been much more overtly flag waving. I think it gets the tone about right for what is still a fictionalised account of what happened.

I thought this was an absolute belter. It's very rare that I can stretch my attention-span for a three-hour film, but I properly loved this. You're bang-on about the tone and the relative lack of comedy patriotism. 

I watched this tonight. I do agree the "plot" that binds it all together was utter shit, but I thought most (not all) of the sketches were funny as hell. Bawdy, gross-out humour. Gets me every time. Fuck knows how they got that cast. "Yeah, hi Hugh Jackman? We'd like you to play a guy who has balls on his neck. And could you ring Kate Winslet, and see if she'll be do the scene with you?". 

I read that some of the more high-profile actors tried to get out of it once filming started. Richard Gere especially.

I also read that the US and the UK versions of the film are completely different. The one I watched was some guy pitching film ideas to Greg Kinnear. The UK version is apparently teenagers searching for the weirdest films they can find online.

Some funny sketches, but a bad film overall because of the plot. They should have just shown it for what it is. A high budget SNL-like sketch show. No guff inbetween.

Movie 43.

2 outta 10.

I enjoyed Mark Kermode's utterly baffled face during his review...

As much as it does make me want to judge for myself, I'm taking his advice and never ever watching it.

I read that some of the more high-profile actors tried to get out of it once filming started. Richard Gere especially.

I also read that the US and the UK versions of the film are completely different. The one I watched was some guy pitching film ideas to Greg Kinnear. The UK version is apparently teenagers searching for the weirdest films they can find online.

Some funny sketches, but a bad film overall because of the plot. They should have just shown it for what it is. A high budget SNL-like sketch show. No guff inbetween.

The one I watched was teenagers searching online for a banned video. I did wonder what you were talking about in your initial post. Maybe your version made more sense. The one I saw was nonsense.

Absolutely agree, everything is subjective, etc etc.

I think he is far from the pinnacle of film knowledge or anything but I like his reviews sometimes, even when I disagree with him. Although to be honest, these days I only really pay attention to his ones like the above where he rants about how awful things are. I enjoy people being miserable bastards from time to time if it's entertaining enough, even if the target's quite easy (Sex and the City 2). I read an extract from one of his books where he was talking about how his job is basically a waste of time because people only remember the bad reviews.

I got about half an hour into Kicking and Screaming, and had to turn it off. And I'm a total Ferrell fan boy. He's the best at shouting. It was in his odd phase when he was doing stuff like Bewitched and Stranger Than Fiction, the latter of which I really liked, though it's not a standard Ferrell film. He barely shouts, if ever. He doesn't even get semi-naked.

I only want to see Rob Burgundy or Frank The Tank.

I saw the new Robocop movie.  To be honest I thought it was a generic action movie, nothing more.  All it made me want to do was watch the original.  The thing that most struck me is much better in the original Robocop - the baddies were waaaaaaay badder.  Dick Jones vs. Raymond Sellars?  Clarence Boddicker vs. Antoine Vallon?  No contest.  The fact that I had to look up the names of the characters two days after seeing it when I haven't seen the original Robocop for YEARS says something about either the frivolousness of the characters or my short term memory.  Of course being a 12A it was never going to match the almost comedic violence of the original (no melting baddies in toxic waste then) so it's perhaps an unfair comparison, but I didn't believe for one minute that the place was going to hell before Robocop came on the scene.  The bit at the start in Tehran was just Team America without the puppets.

Suffice to say I won't be upset if I never see it again.

I saw the new Robocop movie.  To be honest I thought it was a generic action movie, nothing more.  All it made me want to do was watch the original.  The thing that most struck me is much better in the original Robocop - the baddies were waaaaaaay badder.  Dick Jones vs. Raymond Sellars?  Clarence Boddicker vs. Antoine Vallon?  No contest.  The fact that I had to look up the names of the characters two days after seeing it when I haven't seen the original Robocop for YEARS says something about either the frivolousness of the characters or my short term memory.  Of course being a 12A it was never going to match the almost comedic violence of the original (no melting baddies in toxic waste then) so it's perhaps an unfair comparison, but I didn't believe for one minute that the place was going to hell before Robocop came on the scene.  The bit at the start in Tehran was just Team America without the puppets.

Suffice to say I won't be upset if I never see it again.

But did you watch the cartoon? http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/the-most-bizarre-animated-movie-spin-offs