aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Im pretty sure it had to do with the WWF and the now WWE had an agreement that the wrestling would not use the initials WWF to advertise their product. Vince broke this agreement when he started advertising the wrestling online and the WWF sued. Rather than come to a compromise Vince changed the company running the wrestling to WWE and used it as a huge marketing campaign. 

The weird thing is, the WWE still own the rights to the WWF logo, but cannot use the initials and the WWF are now called the WWFN, so neither company uses those exact initials anymore.

They didn't come to a compromise, WWE lost a court appeal over the use - http://www.minyanville.com/special-features/articles/World-Wildlife-Fund-World-Wrestling-Federation/10/6/2010/id/30352?from=MSNCA

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I watched it because I read Deadpool is in it. He has a couple of typically Deadpool lines at the beginning, but he didn't convince me as Wade Wilson. He's not enough of a dick. Overall, it wasn't great. A few LOL moments at how ridiculous some of the fight scenes were. Like when Wolverine is slashing away the fire-escape until Gambit falls to the bottom, and the whole fight at the end taking place on the top of a cooling tower. The relationship between the characters doesn't really make sense. Wolverine and Gambit try to kill each other, but then they become mates. Wolverine's purpose in the film is to twat the fuck out of Victor, but they become mates at the end too, with Victor saving Wolverine. So, it's pretty garbage overall. Nice bit of Patrick Stewart at the end, communicating telepathically, of course. And Will.I.Am is in it too.

And for the amount of times someone gets impaled on some sort of blade, or had their head chopped off, there is zero blood.

3 outta 10.

Fast & Furious 5 - I haven't seen any of these since part 2, at some point they've pretty much abandoned the street racing concept and turned into straightforward heist movies. In this Vin Diesel and Paul Walker try to rob a Brazilian crime lord of 100m dollars while evading Dwayne Johnson. It's pretty generic really, and it goes on way too long (recorded off TV, with adverts, 2 hours 50 minutes. Yikes).

Cattle Call - "comedy" in which 3 would-be date-rapists pretend to be making a movie so they can get women to audition for them and persuade them to take their clothes off by telling them it's for a role. Garbage. I switched it off five minutes before the end just to piss it off. Like fuck you film. I care about you so little that I'm not even willing to wait another 5 minutes to find out what happens. I hope it's that they all go to jail.

Under the Skin

Genuinely startling and unnerving film starring Scarlett Johansson as an alien driving around Scotland in the winter in a van and a black wig, chatting up random blokes and taking them back to her lair for sinister purposes.  Not particularly like any film I've ever seen.  Very little dialogue and to an extent you don't really know what's going on and why.  I found it really tense and Johansson pretty compelling and strange.  One of the better films I've seen for a while. 

Bronies - Documentary about these weirdos:

bronies2.jpg

Adult males obsessed with My Little Pony. I didn't know anything about this peculiar phenomenon and assumed it was just a handful of college students being weird but it appears to be more, there's thousands upon thousands of them all over the world. and they actually live their lives according to the simplistic morals set out in My Little Pony - basically just be good to each other. The movie follows about ten of them as they get together for the first every "BronyCon" with fellow Bronies and the cast and producers of the show. Mostly it's just following them around but there's one guy from England that goes on a bit of a journey, he's got Aspergers and finds it really difficult to interact with people but when he meets fellow "Bronies" their acceptance gives him new found confidence, etc. Worth checking out. I'm actually considering watching an episode to see what all the fuss is about.

1362162643-couldntyouwait-magnum.jpg

Couldn't You Wait - the story of Silkworm

The ultimate band in the wrong place at the wrong time - moved from smalltown West America to play proto-Indie Rock in Grunge-saturated 90s Seattle and made small ripples.  I really dig Silkworm, but it was a strange documentary.  A lot of love for their deceased drummer, some very cool soundbites from Albini, great live footage...  yet compared to the other alt-rock doc I saw this year- Filmage - a strange beast.  I don't really think anyone will be sold on Silkworm just down to this film.  As many of the talking heads proudly admit: you won't like Silkwork, or you'll fucking love Silkworm.

However, if you want to see what side of the fence you fall on, check this out:

If you like that, 5/5 for this film.  If you don't, fuck you.

Gangster Squad

Basically The Untouchables moved to late 1940s LA and given a bit of a cartoon makeover. Completely lacking subtlety and nuance but not short of fun.  I really enjoyed this. It's almost an old school mob film. Just focussed on cops versus robbers, goodies vs baddies with no shades of grey. Josh Brolin is solid, but a little restrained in the lead role while Ryan Gosling gets to have the most fun for the good guys. Meanwhile Sean Penn is having a whale of a time as Mickey Cohen.  The film pays barely any attention to historical accuracy. Some of the names may be the same as people who happened to exist in LA during the 40s and 50s and may have been cops or gangsters, but the events are total fiction.

Full of car chases, shootouts, some comedy moments and Emma Stone.  Nae bad really.

I didn't know a Silkworm doc existed. I'll give it a watch. I'm also itching to see Filmage! They need to hurry up and release that mother!

On Saturday, I watched 30 Minutes or Less, starring Jesse Eisenberg as a pretentious slacker (obviously), Danny McBride as pretty much Kenny Powers, and Aziz Ansari as a bit of a dweeb. Typecast. The film's producers claim it is not based on very very similar real life events but the plot is almost identical. Slacker pizza boy is kidnapped by two lowlifes who force the slacker to rob a bank with a bomb strapped to him, failing to do so will have the bomb set off. It's pretty funny, because Danny McBride shouts alot and Aziz Ansari is a total dweeb. Michael Pena is in it too, playing a very effeminate hitman. He is pretty great.

Standard goofball comedy. 6 outta 10.

End Of Watch

FUCK!

Never been so stressed watching a cop film before. Does a brilliant job of getting you to invest in the lead characters. I really cared about them as they were going round their beat in LA over the space of a year or so, and even though the film was only ever heading towards one conclusion I still found myself getting anxious as the climax built. Terrific film.

Well i moved in with the missus and the first film she has made me watch was Pitch Perfect.

Think of Glee, but in film form and much cheeiser and shitter, with no good songs and you pretty much have this film summed up. Inbetween masterminding the rise of my Southampton team i think i made out its about groups of college kids who instead of being in choirs form a-cappella groups and sing off against each other, there is actually a scene where the different groups meet up in an old warehouse and have a-cappella battles with each other. 

Absolute fucking drivel.

-10 out of 10. 

Edited by The Milner

End Of Watch

FUCK!

Never been so stressed watching a cop film before. Does a brilliant job of getting you to invest in the lead characters. I really cared about them as they were going round their beat in LA over the space of a year or so, and even though the film was only ever heading towards one conclusion I still found myself getting anxious as the climax built. Terrific film.

The missus and I watched this last night, great film. I thought the two lead actors' performances were fantastic. I knew that there had to be a big finale to the film, and it built to it very well.

We also watched The Punk Singer, a documentary about Kathleen Hanna. I thought that it was quite an engaging film, and it served it's purpose as providing an insight into a 3rd wave feminist who also played in a punk band. The last act involving Hanna's battles with Lyme disease were particularly affecting. 8/10.

Elysium

What the director of District 9 did next.  Big budget sci-fi in a dystopian near future earth.  Matt Damon has an industrial accident on Earth and has only days to live, his only hope is to get to offshore tax-haven in space Elysium where the rich and the powerful have buggered off to get away from the oiks on terra firma. They've got fancy med bays that can cure any disease and instantly repair damage to the body.

Damon is great but the real star is the fookin mental badass mercenary Kruger played by District 9's Sharlto Copley. Destroying everything in his path as efficiently as possible to get to Damon. Jodie Foster also gets to ham it up with a ridiculous accent as a power hungry politician trying to gain control of Elysium from the weak council she perceives is leaving it open to the scum back on earth.

It wears it's influences on it's sleeves and at times everything feels a bit obvious or sci-fi action film by numbers. But even if it's following the rules it's done very, very well.  It probably just missed a bit more of the black humour that filled District 9.  Once the action started all subtlety went out the window. Overall though it's a great film and a very satisfying watch.