aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Elysium

What the director of District 9 did next.  Big budget sci-fi in a dystopian near future earth.  Matt Damon has an industrial accident on Earth and has only days to live, his only hope is to get to offshore tax-haven in space Elysium where the rich and the powerful have buggered off to get away from the oiks on terra firma. They've got fancy med bays that can cure any disease and instantly repair damage to the body.

Damon is great but the real star is the fookin mental badass mercenary Kruger played by District 9's Sharlto Copley. Destroying everything in his path as efficiently as possible to get to Damon. Jodie Foster also gets to ham it up with a ridiculous accent as a power hungry politician trying to gain control of Elysium from the weak council she perceives is leaving it open to the scum back on earth.

It wears it's influences on it's sleeves and at times everything feels a bit obvious or sci-fi action film by numbers. But even if it's following the rules it's done very, very well.  It probably just missed a bit more of the black humour that filled District 9.  Once the action started all subtlety went out the window. Overall though it's a great film and a very satisfying watch.

I thought it was quite cool, but i never really understood the need for the suit, not until the very end of the film. 

Man of Steel:

Looked great, decent acting from Cavill and Shannon. Pretty poor choice in Amy Adams for Lois Lane, she just didn't have the attitude or presence required for such a pivotal role. She might get to flesh out the character a bit in the sequel (as hopefully will Laurence Fishburne as he was criminally underused in this film) all  being well. The one thing that bothered me a little too much about the film was that it was a real downer, I mean wrist slitty kinda downer. It was unusually bleak for a blockbuster, even the end felt like the film reel was falling off a cliff. I'm interested to see where they go with Batman and Wonder Woman in the sequel as i'm a big fan of Ben Affleck.

7/10

I thought it was quite cool, but i never really understood the need for the suit, not until the very end of the film. 

He was given a lethal dose of radiation and could barely walk, so he needed the suit to be strong enough to do the job for spider.

He was given a lethal dose of radiation and could barely walk, so he needed the suit to be strong enough to do the job for spider.

Yeh i got that, but it just seemed a  bit of a waste, he was went through absolute hell to get it put on, and then it was used very little throughout the rest of the film. I know it kept him alive, but i was hoping they would do more cool stuff with it. 

Yeh i got that, but it just seemed a  bit of a waste, he was went through absolute hell to get it put on, and then it was used very little throughout the rest of the film. I know it kept him alive, but i was hoping they would do more cool stuff with it. 

Well he did rip a droid's head off with his bare hands

• 2 weeks later...
Frozen - Very much a kids film and not much for the adults, typical Disney fare really, a good story and it's quite sweet and charming but it's gets a bit OTT with the schmaltz towards the end. The opening sequence and song are really good.

Bones Brigade - documentary about the history of the Powell Peralta skating brand and the young crew featuring a group of skaters who, according to the documentary at least, innovated a lot of modern skating and went on to be some of the top guys, Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen etc. I only really know them from the Tony Hawk's games and don't know anything about skating but enjoyed it anyway. Well made documentary, a very good story, and some of the skating footage is incredible.

Labour Pains - Comedy in which Lindsey Lohan plays an secretary who pretends to be pregnant so her work can't fire her and gets caught up in the lie as it keeps escalating. It's not really that funny and they never really address the fact that she appears to start believing it herself and needs some serious counselling. When Lohan is on form she's actually not bad as a comic actress, and this is before she got all that surgery that made her look like a surprised duck, she's probably the best thing about this film, its watchable but I didn't laugh much.

Signs 

Fantastic film. I appreciated it a lot more after watching Jeff, Who Lives At Home. The ending had me smiling like a baffoon for the entire last 20 minutes. So perfect.

Oldboy (2013)

I thought this would have been shit. But I liked it a lot. Even the wee changes (and one big change) worked really well. The bad guy ruined it though. He was like a Chuckle brother.

CKY (Collectors Edition)

CKY, CKY2+3 Remix and CKY 4. Still to watch the documentary. But Bam is a fanny. 

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Drama about a family who have a have a young son who displays troubling behaviour, and who seems to take pleasure in hurting others. It follows him from childhood through to adulthood, focusing mostly on the mother who is the only one who sees it, and he seems to take pleasure in mentally torturing her. I found it a real struggle to begin with, in the first 20 minutes or so the narrative is all over the place, it keeps jumping from scene to scene and forwwards and backwards with no dialogue, just loud noises like lawnmowers and stuff. Once that settles down though and the story gets going it does turn into a really engaging and pretty tense drama, if a little unbelievable. Even though my girlfriend spoiled the ending for me in the first five minutes.

Bronies - Documentary about these weirdos:

Adult males obsessed with My Little Pony. I didn't know anything about this peculiar phenomenon and assumed it was just a handful of college students being weird but it appears to be more, there's thousands upon thousands of them all over the world. and they actually live their lives according to the simplistic morals set out in My Little Pony - basically just be good to each other. The movie follows about ten of them as they get together for the first every "BronyCon" with fellow Bronies and the cast and producers of the show. Mostly it's just following them around but there's one guy from England that goes on a bit of a journey, he's got Aspergers and finds it really difficult to interact with people but when he meets fellow "Bronies" their acceptance gives him new found confidence, etc. Worth checking out. I'm actually considering watching an episode to see what all the fuss is about.

Aaaaah, that Bob's Burgers episode now makes so much sense...

Watched Anchorman 2 the other day, well the first third of it - just awful.

It works on loads of shit including consoles and some streaming boxes, so I assume it'd work with Apple TV. Check the website (unblock-us.com) and it spells everything out. It's also really easy to start a free trial (literally just punch in an email, no confirming and resending emails and going to links or that shite) and you get a weeks worth for free.

xx

• Upvote 1

I spent ages looking - as I said they are all getting closed off unless you pay a host site. As soon as they get published online that they're working, someone comes along and closes it.

xx

Mines working.

I use this site most of the time when I need.

http://www.netflixfixer.com/2013/06/updated-dns-codes-for-us-netflix.html

I can't remember which ones I'm on at the moment.  I'll post them when I'm home this evening.

Mines working.

I use this site most of the time when I need.

http://www.netflixfixer.com/2013/06/updated-dns-codes-for-us-netflix.html

I can't remember which ones I'm on at the moment.  I'll post them when I'm home this evening.

That was the same site as I was using, but none of the codes worked for more than a few hours! Could be my timing was just unfortunate though!

xx