aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Inside Llewyn Davis

It's by the Coen Brothers, so you should know what to expect. The movie is based around a few days of folk singer Llewyn's somewhat depressing life as a failing musician. There are some great comedy set pieces interpersed with the melancholy (where is the scrotum!?!), and you never really root for Llewyn at any point in the film, as he's a bit of an arrogant dick. Justin Timberlake and Coen Brother's mainstay John Goodman are both very good in it. If you like the Coen Brothers, you'll like this.

8/10

• Upvote 1

Inside Llewyn Davis

It's by the Coen Brothers, so you should know what to expect. The movie is based around a few days of folk singer Llewyn's somewhat depressing life as a failing musician. There are some great comedy set pieces interpersed with the melancholy (where is the scrotum!?!), and you never really root for Llewyn at any point in the film, as he's a bit of an arrogant dick. Justin Timberlake and Coen Brother's mainstay John Goodman are both very good in it. If you like the Coen Brothers, you'll like this.

8/10

Great film. Soundtrack is surprisingly good too, despite its Mumfordness.

World War Z

Brad Pitt stars as a hunky former UN employee who gets embroiled in stopping a zombie apocalypse. It was on Netflix and the missus and I thought it would be a decent Sunday night watch. Not so much. A film that thinks it is a lot cleverer than is, characters you don't care about, zombies that are not scary and a completely anti-climactic ending. Some of the special effects set pieces were quite impressive, but you never really got lost in the film, so no scene with zombies had you on the edge of your seat.

3/10

The reason WWZ failed so miserbaly in my book was the way it departed from the book.  I love the book: I've read it twice.  Its a really clever and gripping story written as a sort of historical doicument after the war, where a guy conducts interviews on its various survivors.  The film was just so 'Murican action hero single handedly saves the world that it failed on premise alone, let alone when you list the flaws that are certainly huge flaws. 

Read the book: its really great. 

• Upvote 1

The reason WWZ failed so miserbaly in my book was the way it departed from the book.  I love the book: I've read it twice.  Its a really clever and gripping story written as a sort of historical doicument after the war, where a guy conducts interviews on its various survivors.  The film was just so 'Murican action hero single handedly saves the world that it failed on premise alone, let alone when you list the flaws that are certainly huge flaws. 

Fully agree with this statement, book trumps film again.

Haven't seen the film, because I hear it shares very little with the book, so haven't bothered.

Angels & Demons - What a load of shit. I can't believe Tom Hanks was in it. It's fucking awful.

300 : Rise of an Empire

More of the same, or rather LESS of the same. A pretty aenemic follow-up to the 2005 classic. The movie is hampered by a lack of story and an extremely weak lead. He's so nondescript that I could even be bothered looking up his name. 4/10

Lone Survivor

Yee-ha for the the good ole' US of A! Kick some Taliban ass! Good action film based on a true story. More than a little patriotic :eek: . 6/10

I, Frankenstein.

"This might be good for a laugh, she said". Sadly, this one falls waaaay below the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" so-bad-it's-good level. Awful, just awful. 0/10

Grand Budapest Hotel

Hilarious movie from Wes Anderson. Ralph Fiennes is superb. Stellar cast. 9/10

Edited by Nomad_Axeman

Unknown

Liam Neeson stars as a "Bio-technologist" whose life is turned upside down after a car accident. You know what it's like, you wake up from a coma, nobody knows who you are, then bad bastards decked out in black try kill you. That's pretty much it. Not enough action to make it fun and not enough in the way of suspense to make it a passable thriller.

4/10 

Unknown

Liam Neeson stars as a "Bio-technologist" whose life is turned upside down after a car accident. You know what it's like, you wake up from a coma, nobody knows who you are, then bad bastards decked out in black try kill you. That's pretty much it. Not enough action to make it fun and not enough in the way of suspense to make it a passable thriller.

4/10

Aye i remember that being pretty rubbish, the ending was poor as well. 

Modern Horror Binge.

Contracted

A girl has a one night stand with a guy and then gets really ill. She thinks it could be an STI but it turns out to be far worse.. Really well paced, quite scary without being too formulaic (everything goes quiet... walk towards a door.. open it.. loud noise as something jumps out. Or, alternatively, nothing happens when the door opens but the loud noise comes then they turn around and THERE'S SOMEONE BEHIND THEM!).

Good. Watch it.

9/10

V/H/S

Some kids find a collection of V/H/S tapes while trying to find some blackmail material in a dude's house. It's basically a series of short horror stories. The shorts were all pretty good, but watching them all in a blast got a bit dull by the end. Pretty good, worth a look.

8/10

V/H/S 2

Two private investigators are looking into the fate of one of the kids from the first film, and watch some more tapes. More shorts, only this time they're mostly better. Except the last one, which is fucking wank.

7/10

Aftershock

A bunch of LAADZ are on holiday in Chile when there's an earthquake and everything goes to shit. The eathquake destroys the prison and a bunch of convicts escape. Great movie, but some pretty harrowing scenes to watch - definitely worth a look though.

10/10

xx

A Million Ways To Die In the West

Typical Family Guy humour, which I love, so I was giggling away the whole time - Charlize Theron is stunning as always, and Sarah Silverman is annoying as usual (she was the least funny character...) but definitely film for a lazy weekend :)

And Liam Neeson isn't horrific in it :)

8/10

Non-Stop

Liam Neeson is an air marshal, and it's pretty shite overall - a who-is-the-villain in the sky, pretty predictable where they even have the token Middle Eastern guy who everyone glares at. I wouldn't bother.  I also hate the Hollyoaks-thing where they show a characters text message floating in the air next to them for you to read (I only know they do that on Hollyoaks as the boy's sister has it on when we visit).

2/10

Edited by Slutbags McGee

As a response to my dismay at the utter shitetude of the current crop of movies - apart from Grand Budapest Hotel and a couple of others - I decided to dig out some older movies and reevaluate them.

I love movies, I really do, but these days it's all big, ludricous effects, product placement, faux cool and demographics (do we need a rapper/pop star in every movie?). We're suckered in with high-energy trailers "Ooooh, that looks good", and served up utter garbage ("Noah", being the most recent disppointment for me). 

All the really good stuff is on television - Game of Thrones, Walking Deid, Fargo, Mad Men etc...

Anyhoo, I'd recommend the following movies that I've watched over the last few weeks ...

Taxi Driver

The Bobster as the insomniac fruit-loop Vietnam vet. Awesome, no other word for it. 10/10

Night (or Curse) of the Demon

Classic 1957 horror movie, with Dana Andrews as an American psychologist sent to England to debunk an Alastair Crowley-type satanist (superbly played by Niall McGuinnes). Creepy and well plotted with great effects for it's age. 9/10

Aliens (Extended Edition)

The beginning and end of the cyber-grunt genre for me. One of the best action movies ever. "Game over man!". 10/10

The Abyss (Tsunami Edition)

Another great (if a little flabby and overlong) David Cameron movie about a drilling team on an underwater rig who are commandeered to rescue a stricken US Navy sub before them damn Russkies can get their Commie paws on it. Stange underwater goings-on ensue as the team discover that they're not alone down there. Watch this edition, it greatly improves the overall story. 8/10

The Right Stuff

This 1983 classic starts at with the test pilots at Edwards Airbase and Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier before moving on to the Gemini space programme and the lives of the astronauts. Absolutely superb movie with a stellar cast including Ed Harris, Fred Ward, Lance Herickson, Jeff Goldblum, Scott Glen. 10/10

Heat

The Bobster and Liitle Al share the screen for the first time (they both featured in the Godfather II, but in different eras) in this epic Micahel Mann heist move. Di Niro is the epitome of steely cool and Pacino shouts a lot (noone shouts better than Pacino). Intelligent dialogue, brilliant use of sound (especially during the shootout), a gripping and hightly entertaining plot and a great musical score. 10/10

• Upvote 1

Transformers - Age of Extinction. Fucking awful except for Stanley Tucci taking the piss for the entire film - Sam Rockwell in Iron Man 2 but more so.

However, I watched it from a D-Box seat that tilted, rocked and shuddered along with the action. That was pretty cool.

Edited by colb